The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New Roland Synths Launch - Abbey Road, London, 29 August 2019
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I just wonder why any Roland announcement is immediately followed by the start of a negative thread? It's like not even occasional, it's every time.
Is this happening to Korg, Behringer..
Perhaps because so much is expected of Roland?

Also IMHO they just have not listened to their customers for decades - nobody is fooled by adapting old model numbers and spraying things black and orange.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also have an awareness of the long history of Roland product announcement threads on Gearslutz - ya know?
don't most of us ?

anyway, sometimes a step back allows some light to shine through eh
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

What do you get when you cross a Roland worker and one from Native - Instruments ?

Unemployed !

Uli is taking over by giving punters what they want at a reasonable price.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
If that were true, the huge popularity and long important history of monophonic synths wouldn't have happened (one voice).
There is a good argument that fewer choices lead to more creativity.
Four voices?
A four note chord, which is plenty in a majority of circumstances, or a triad with a bass note. There's a ton of instances where four notes is enough.
I was going to disagree and cite floaty pads with long release times.

But then I remembered the Jupiter 4...
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch View Post
Perhaps because so much is expected of Roland?

Also IMHO they just have not listened to their customers for decades - nobody is fooled by adapting old model numbers and spraying things black and orange.
i honestly think people know what to expect of Roland now

Tbf their gear is usually pretty solid but also polarising, people get at Elektron for pi$$ing customers / potential customers off but i think Roland have Elektron beat by miles

that said i am definitely interested in this 707 dependent on a few things , that would be my 1st R product in a hell of a long time
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
people get at Elektron for pi$$ing customers / potential customers off but i think Roland have Elektron beat by miles
I think that might be true of people who post on forums, which in reality is probably 5% (at best) of people who buy and use Elektron/Roland gear.

Beyond that, who knows if many people are regularly pi$$ed off by Roland.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think that might be true of people who post on forums, which in reality is probably 5% (at best) of people who buy and use Elektron/Roland gear.

Beyond that, who knows if many people are regularly pi$$ed off by Roland.
Just always the same handful of haters (if using that expression is also allowed for people not happy with Roland products)
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
If that were true, the huge popularity and long important history of monophonic synths wouldn't have happened (one voice).
There is a good argument that fewer choices lead to more creativity.
Four voices?
A four note chord, which is plenty in a majority of circumstances, or a triad with a bass note. There's a ton of instances where four notes is enough.
I didn't said you can't do nothing but I don't buy a polyphonic only for make bass parts, put a little bit of release then said me if that thing is enjoyable, even with one chord... sometimes one note so you can't play it like a jx3p, you need to change your approach

I like to play with two hands and play that thing was very annoying, in fact, even with space problem, I get the jx3p. Very happy.

I can accept that from vintage gear (hope to find cs50 or jp4 at fair price) but not from a 2015(?) digital recreation of a six voices synth.
Love the format, love even the mini slider and knobs, the sound was good very closer to the jx3p but wasn't for me, this is my personal point of view
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

i don't know why i want 707, but i definitely want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
A bit disappointed by the MC707, from the video it sounds hifi and middle of the road. But that is just my preference.
i strongly suspect that video is made with intention to be liked by as wide audience as possible.
as a result, no one in particular likes the sound. it's always like that.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Loving this Jupiter-Xm!

Sounds great, looks great.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

I dont get what they've done to the sub on the boutique in 60 mode?

sounds really wrong to me - goto 3 mins in

almost like the divider is out of sync
Old 5th September 2019
So, was everyone with a Ju-06 saying, “If ONLY this thing had an arpeggiator!” No....we were saying, “This is digital, so why only four voices? What am I supposed to do with four voices? Voice stealing is rarely a creative choice that I go for.”

That 256 voice, multitimbral Roland ACB thing with the Jupiter skin seems alright, but why is it the same size as a Minilogue? Its like the Jupiter 50/80, no...but with 3 octaves of 3/4 sized keys?

I get the utility of the tiny Boutiques....sometimes small can be useful, but honestly, I don’t want everything to be small, especially not the keybed of a 256 voice, multitmbral engine.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
I bet they sound closer to the original than anything Behringer is able to come up with, even if it isn't analog.. The SH-01a just approves, the MS-1 sounds like a$$ in terms of nailing the SH-101 sound

Quote:
Just always the same handful of haters (if using that expression is also allowed for people not happy with Roland products)
Hypocrite much?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

707 gets better - on drum pads you can have 4 files per pad, 16 pads per kit/track so that gives us 64 potential layers of sound per drum kit that can be made of their sounds or a mix of theirs and yours

looking better and better, manual is out too
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Xm seems quite interesting, on the other hand!
It does! Of all the new products, this is the one that has most captured my attention. With no room left in my studio for any big boards, I could actually use a little mini-workstation like this.

Quote:
Absolutely. Four voice harmony--SATB--has been the foundation of western harmony for hundreds of years.
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear
I called it two weeks ago!
Where can I collect my prize?

ROLAND Announcement??
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
That 256 voice, multitimbral Roland ACB thing with the Jupiter skin seems alright, but why is it the same size as a Minilogue? Its like the Jupiter 50/80, no...but with 3 octaves of 3/4 sized keys?
It's not ACB though, it's supernatural trying to act like ACB. They have a Jupiter X for a big version of the same thing (in virtually the same form factor as the Jupiter-8)
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
I dont get what they've done to the sub on the boutique in 60 mode?

sounds really wrong to me - goto 3 mins in

almost like the divider is out of sync
something screwed up there and i wonder if there is a bit of work to do, you can see he knows it by his initial silence and then swerves around it calling it gritty - he is obviously being very neutral towards the review product there :: , on the SS video when they pressed the sub and raised the fader i swear nothing happened - i need to listen to that one again though.

you can hear the sub wobble issue underneath the saw and sub preset too - that pretty much renders it useless if it isn't fixed imo
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Still 4 voices on JU – 06A, and mono timbral again with the same step sequencer…
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
What? No D beam? Awwwwwww
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch View Post
Hypocrite much?
well I didn't join a roland thread to hate on roland, get a grip boi.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

I can quite happily use an old Casiotone MT65 for music if that's what I have to hand. Sure, I could also find a use for this new batch of Roland gear if it's all I had to use and I had no computer or other synths.
The fact of the matter is - and this comes up perennially in new Roland gear threads - that Roland keep on re-hashing the same tired technology in new forms every new release. Whether you want spend your cash on these new expensive toys is your choice, but to announce all this with a big fanfare and show a hyped launch full of champagne quaffing sales people tinkering with tired technology does not have me checking my bank balance.

If this makes me a 'hater' then all well and good. I still have never 'forgiven' Roland for many mothballed expensive PA and DAW systems that promised the world and then were never updated and became bricked pretty quickly. And we're talking about £1000's here.

One last thing here - how can you expect to be taken seriously when you market a renowned 6 voice analogue poly (the JU-6) as a four voice plug-in in a plastic box- for the second time!?! And yes, of course they'll sell.
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Hm...so whats the difference between these new fantoms and the fa series?
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
well I didn't join a roland thread to hate on roland, get a grip boi.
Ahem.
Attached Thumbnails
New Roland Synths Launch - Abbey Road, London, 29 August 2019-227c6137-9578-43db-b021-c9ffe1a2f516.gif  
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
707 gets better - on drum pads you can have 4 files per pad, 16 pads per kit/track so that gives us 64 potential layers of sound per drum kit that can be made of their sounds or a mix of theirs and yours

looking better and better, manual is out too
Also, as you can bounce to audio you can layer/process it to hell & back

I added a bunch of other stuff in the 707 thread, its got a lot under the hood.

Main thing i'm interested in now, is what stuff sounds like when pitched about/timestretched, quality of FX etc

if those all tick boxes i'll get one i think
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Roland, the best synth company of all times, even better than Bontempi
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

So another Jupiter 8 type synth that's not analogue?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Wait a minute.. Wasn't there already a JU-06 though??
JU-06 was a boutique version of the Juno 106, I haven't had a proper look but judging by the arpeggiator and the slightly different looks, I'm assuming this is a boutique Juno 60.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Also, as you can bounce to audio you can layer/process it to hell & back

I added a bunch of other stuff in the 707 thread, its got a lot under the hood.

Main thing i'm interested in now, is what stuff sounds like when pitched about/timestretched, quality of FX etc

if those all tick boxes i'll get one i think
on the roland YT page he stretches a file in a track but he does not indicate how far, typical bloody P.R video , they should just say this is capable of 34 bpm before noticeable artifacts, personally with TS i do not mind artifacts anyway so long as the algo does its job and let us not forget it is a groover after all so any TS and half way decent FX is a bonus eh

the manual is typical Roland lol, just halfway through it, i am looking for step by step lockable parameters for the seq:, how many per pad/track are available and not just the 3 assignable controls on each lane, have you come across that info? that matters to me as a long time OT user, i like the idea of this as a partner but i have some way to go with knowledge acquisition
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobiscuit View Post
So another Jupiter 8 type synth that's not analogue?
Jupiter isn’t synonymous with analog (in Rolands eyes). It's just the branding for their high-end flagships.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search