New Roland Synths Launch - Abbey Road, London, 29 August 2019
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

Fantom!!!!!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Wait a minute.. Wasn't there already a JU-06 though??
Yes, but it sold out and now they go for silly money on the used market
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
I've not watched any Jupiter-X vids yet.. but as for the Xm it just seems to be the supernatural engine with some profiling and tweaking per "model" to get it closer to ACB when trying to emulate a specific vintage synth. Pretty surprised the baby one is going for €1499.. er, I'll just stick to my JD-XA thanks
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

I like the groovebox and Juno 06a thingy..can't afford but still like them a lot.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Purchase one of the other options then?
What's the problem?

Sonic State said the 06a looked very well built and sounded great.
My S8 sits next to my Juno 106, and it is indistinguishable (I bought it in 1995, so I know).

The Ju-06 was a fantastic emulation, so if this is an improvement, I can highly recommend it.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
whoever is designing these things needs to be fired. what is this ? jupiter thing looks like a prototype and the 707 looks like they stuck a bunch of crap together. i like all the stuff soundwise but the pricing is a bit crazy. like jamie said, 1500 for 3 octave slim keys digital is a bit pushing it. but not as much as the 707. why is it 300 euro more than the tr8s? i get it does a lot more but at that price there's a few other options out there
yup agreed, the designs are a bit but to play devils advocate mate, the 707 is the interesting thing to me at least, odd and i feel almost unfinished looks but behind there is good spec and half decent seq: with some little tricks

built in synth engine with 64 voices, can have upto 8 tracks of that if they are to be believed, that is a lot of synth in a groovebox

16 drum sounds per kit, can have upto 8 kits and each kit can be your own samples. ok it isn't OT territory with slices of 128 per sound but still not bad for a groover

or 8 sample playback/audio tracks so in essence you can use it as a mixer - the sample memory could be better (6 mins in 2019 !!!!???) but we can sample internal tracks or external so that is a good thing especially for pushing a set forward when you expire your track count - SD card streaming though, or at least i believe based on what i heard so....

midi out i need to understand more, it got skipped over very quickly by arlund and batt really let him off the hook and didn't close the answer as far as i was concerned, need to understand if the midi out is actually a seq: or just a clock source - it is also a bit shady to have to use a track as MIDI - do they not look at the competition? DFT/OT etc separate midi from audio which makes sense, hellloooo roland

willing to keep my eyes on this as i do love my groovers but @ the best part of 9 ton it is a serious thinker
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
Standard Features of the Fantom 6/7/8

Expandable sound engine delivers authentic electronic and acoustic sounds
Fresh hybrid sounds combining modern PCM, virtual analog, and a routable analog filter
More details needed.

These new Fantoms might be the bigger news, not least for carrying the workstation/performance keyboard segment forward when it has been declared all but dead. The rear panel shown in the Sonicstate video has a crapload of connectivity.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's the problem?

the 06a looks very good to me. i like the small form factor (easy to bring to gigs) and the new sliders seem to be a bit better for editing. plus there is a bit more space on it without the touch strips.

it's more a discussion than crapping on the new products. i just don't understand the 50% price increase compared to the tr8s for something that shares a lot of parts (ok, more pads and a bigger screen). gonna wait for a more in-depth video on the sound engine for the 707 and when the price drops a bit it might sit next to the tr8s. even the baby one seems a bit pricey. 500 euros? 4 tracks? 350 all day
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Juno 06a seems quite useful in my studio, for my kind of music. The other new announcements not so.
I just wonder why any Roland announcement is immediately followed by the start of a negative thread? It's like not even occasional, it's every time.
Is this happening to Korg, Behringer, or Oberheim?

There are literally hundreds of products announced every month I don't like or have no interest in. If everyone started threads complaining about gear they didn't like Gearslutz would be even more unusable than it already is.....
it isn't a negative thread and in fact i am quite positive about the 707 and dearly wanted to love the XM but NO WAY @ that price, i did joke about their design the future phrase because come on, claim the future but continually use ancient nomenclature, they deserve a friendly dig don't you think?

and yeah , negativity finds its way to all threads, you know that
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

midi out i need to understand more, it got skipped over very quickly by arlund and batt really let him off the hook and didn't close the answer as far as i was concerned, need to understand if the midi out is actually a seq: or just a clock source - it is also a bit shady to have to use a track as MIDI - do they not look at the competition? DFT/OT etc separate midi from audio which makes sense, hellloooo roland

willing to keep my eyes on this as i do love my groovers but @ the best part of 9 ton it is a serious thinker
i'm all for grooveboxes. i think the midi outs work like on the electribes. it just spits midi all the time but you can decide to turn it on or off per track. but no separate midi sequencing like on the elektron boxes. it's a shame but yes, the depth of each audio track is pretty cool. being able to have drum kits on each track is great. but again, we need some more in depth to check out the controls and sound engine options.
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:

and yeah , negativity finds its way to all threads, you know that
Mmmm well, your first post was just a put down and a

The third post included

For me it just gets old.
Every Roland related post on this site has to reference their 'designing the future' blurb.
Time to let it go and just discuss what you like or don't like about the products specifically.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
the 06a looks very good to me. i like the small form factor (easy to bring to gigs) and the new sliders seem to be a bit better for editing. plus there is a bit more space on it without the touch strips.

it's more a discussion than crapping on the new products. i just don't understand the 50% price increase compared to the tr8s for something that shares a lot of parts (ok, more pads and a bigger screen). gonna wait for a more in-depth video on the sound engine for the 707 and when the price drops a bit it might sit next to the tr8s. even the baby one seems a bit pricey. 500 euros? 4 tracks? 350 all day
agreed !

and i thought they would say 300 for the 101, 500 though hello market , not that i would look at it for 200 personally but straight away you say to yourself, well the 707 is much better value @ only 350 more, sneaky
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I wonder if Uli got out his bed today
And that only took 15 posts to rear it's ugly head (again).
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mmmm well, your first post was just a put down and a

The third post included

For me it just gets old.
Every Roland related post on this site has to reference their 'designing the future' blurb.
Time to let it go and just discuss what you like or don't like about the products specifically.
you need a S.O.H, if a facepalm cannot be linked to humour it is time to pack it in Chris
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head
...but why aren’t they analog? Have they not listened at all?
Old 5th September 2019
Engagement Manager

Fantom 8

KEYBOARD
Keyboard
88 Keys (PHA-50 Wood and Plastic Hybrid Structure, with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel, channel aftertouch)

SOUND GENERATOR
Sound Generator
ZEN-Core
V-Piano Technology

Parts
16 Zones(Internal + External)

Scenes
128 Scenes x 4 Bank

Tones
Over 3,500 Tones
Over 90 Drum kits

Effects
Multi-Effects: 16 systems, 90 types
Part EQ: 16 systems
Drum Part COMP: 6 systems
Insertion Effect: 2 System, 90 Type
Chorus: 8 types
Reverb: 6 types
Master Compressor
Master EQ
Mic Input Reverb: 6 types
Analog Filter

STEREO
Type: LPF1/LPF2/LPF3/HPF/BPF/Bypass
Drive
Amp

SEQUENCER

MIDI Tracks
16(Internal/External)

Group

Pattern
8 (per each Track)

Pattern Length
32 mesures

Recording Method
Realtime recording, Step recording, TR-REC

SAMPLER

Format
16-bit linear, 44.1/48kHz, WAV/AIFF import supported

Maximum Polyphony

Number of Samples
16 Pads x 4 Banks

OTHER

Rhythm Pattern
Yes

Arpeggiator
Yes

Chord Memory
Yes

Controllers
Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever
Assignable Switch x 2 (S1/S2)
Control Knob x 8
Slider x 8
USB Audio Slider
Wheel x 2
Function Knob x 6
Sound Modified Knob x 11
4 x 4 Pad

Display
Graphic Type, 7", Wide VGA (800 x 480 dots), backlit LCD (Color/Touch screen)

Connectors
Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
MAIN OUT Jacks (L/MONO, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
MAIN OUT Jacks (L, R) (XLR type)
SUB OUT1 Jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
SUB OUT2 Jacks (L, R) (1/4-inch phone type)
ANALOG OUTPUT Jacks(1,2)(1/4-inch phone type)
Mic/Line Input Jacks: (1,2) (1/4 inch phone type/XLR type)
2 x CV OUT, 2x GATE OUT
FOOT PEDAL JackS(HOLD, CTRL1,CTRL2,CTRL3)
MIDI connectors (IN, OUT1, OUT2/THRU)
USB MEMORY Port
USB COMPUTER Port (AUDIO/MIDI)
3 x External Device Port

External Memory
USB Flash drive (sold separately)

Power Supply
AC 117–240V 50/60Hz

Power Consumption
50 W

Accessories
Owner's manual
Power Cord
Options (sold separately)
Keyboard Stand: KS-G8B, KS-10Z, KS-12
Pedal Switch: DP series, RPU-3
Expression Pedal: EV-5
USB Flash drive (*)

* Use a commercially available USB flash drive. However, we cannot guarantee that all commercially available USB flash drives will work.

SIZE AND WEIGHT
Width
1,432 mm
56-7/16 inches
Depth
439 mm
17-5/16 inches
Height
153 mm
6-1/16 inches
Weight
27.7 kg
61 lbs 2 oz
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

i hand it to them on the 06a, 106 that quickly sold out and an additional 60 emu tacked on... that should please a lot of folk, who knows i may even own my first boutique

is the 06a bigger? looks bigger , if so i could actually be swayed - i would be very interested to see the exact same parameters on the two engines though and hear the difference in sound if any, cynical i know
Old 5th September 2019
Im still wondering wtf Roland let people loose in there with beer?? Were they ready to write a few of those off 'just in case'?

And $1500? The Xm doesn't sound so neat anymore heh.
Old 5th September 2019
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
More details needed.

These new Fantoms might be the bigger news, not least for carrying the workstation/performance keyboard segment forward when it has been declared all but dead. The rear panel shown in the Sonicstate video has a crapload of connectivity.
See above for more details
Old 5th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Sure but you can do very few things with 4 voices, sold jx03 then I get a jx3p, best thing to do, my jp08 is always off

It's digital so why they still keep ridiculous 4 voices... really don't like this way to do with the customers
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What's the problem?

I bet they sound closer to the original than anything Behringer is able to come up with, even if it isn't analog.. The SH-01a just approves, the MS-1 sounds like a$$ in terms of nailing the SH-101 sound
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Guru

The Jupiter X concept sounds a bit like a JDXA and a Jupiter 80 and the System-8 mashed together. I guess they considered just beefing up the System 8 to not be enough

I'm really happy that the Juno-06A has both the 60 and 106. Plus PWM modulated by envelope - very important for some sounds that only the 60 does and the 106 can't. When I had the 106 at home (after working with the 60 for a long time), I missed that; it doesn't seem like it's a big deal, but it is

They should've taken the chance to beef up the polyphony to 6 voices, though.

I still hope that means the model (and the JX8P model that they mentioned in the Jupiter-X) is going to be available for both System 8 and Jupiter X.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Addict

I deleted last comment , its good there releasing lots of stuff ,, I like the steps on the Fantom , i have Integra and love it and an updated would be great , a module Fantom like Hydrasynth M would be great , the Mc 707 , had an MC years back , a Good starting out first buy id pair 707 with my Big Sky and sample back in , hope Yamaha kick in ,
Old 5th September 2019
Jupiter Xm does sound best to my ears out of all of these. The pricetag is there but not ridiculous IMO.
The dual arpeggiator triggered by the same notes is a good idea, instant musical results.

A bit disappointed by the MC707, from the video it sounds hifi and middle of the road. But that is just my preference.
Great coverage, thanks @ Sniperschool

Last edited by Reptil; 5th September 2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: video added
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
you need a S.O.H, if a facepalm cannot be linked to humour it is time to pack it in Chris
My sense of humour is 100% fine.
I also have an awareness of the long history of Roland product announcement threads on Gearslutz - ya know?
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Nothing to see here......moving on.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke wave View Post
Sure buy you can do very few things with 4 voices
If that were true, the huge popularity and long important history of monophonic synths wouldn't have happened (one voice).
There is a good argument that fewer choices lead to more creativity.
Four voices?
A four note chord, which is plenty in a majority of circumstances, or a triad with a bass note. There's a ton of instances where four notes is enough.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

So, how many voices is 4+1 part polyphony on the Jupiter-X?

Agree with the comments so far that the X is just a mashup of their prosumer workstations, JD-XA and System-8.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I still hope that means the model (and the JX8P model that they mentioned in the Jupiter-X) is going to be available for both System 8 and Jupiter X.
I don't think so. The Xm and X use supernatural and something called "A engine" which I think is just profiles and tweaks bolted onto supernatural to make it sound a bit closer when emulating specific synths.. ACB should still sound closer.

It's a bit weird when a System-8 should do a better Jupiter-8 than a giant synth calling itself a Jupiter that looks very close to a Jupiter-8 in form factor..
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke wave View Post
Sure buy you can do very few things with 4 voices, sold jx03 then I get a jx3p, best thing to do, my jp08 is always off

It's digital so why they still keep ridiculous 4 voices... really don't like this way to do with the customers
oh, i wouldn't really buy it. because overall it's stil too small and the 4 voice count is ridiculous. but mostly the boutique is too small for me. i have pretty big hands at close to 2m tall so i think there's better option out there (for me). but i see the appeal of it. small, great sound, classic tone. it will sell well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search