The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Roland Synths Launch - Abbey Road, London, 29 August 2019
Old 10th September 2019
  #361
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Wow. The Jupiter-Xm looks really slick . . . I love the design and concept of this machine . . .
I know, right? As I said, I want to buy one of each on looks alone! That said, I haven't quite sold myself on the sound of X/Xm yet. However—definitely sold on the new Fantom.
Old 10th September 2019
  #362
Fatom build quality and screen are awesome, i liked the keys too. didn't like the sounds that much. its not horrid, its just not top notch on some of the synth stuff. the drums were wow tho.

Last edited by Disease Factory; 10th September 2019 at 04:24 AM..
Old 11th September 2019
  #363
Played it some more, started to make sounds. And yeah, you can make great ones... Its actually growing on me, the fantom that is.. If they had a rack version, i would maybe buy it.

DF
Old 11th September 2019
  #364
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
I hope the cloud we get a jup 6, and a system 8 upgrade and a juno 60, and the sh5. And hell, the fantom XR or JV 5080. This would make me very happy.

With an i9 laptop or cpu, the cloud can get you way further.

For live? the fantom is so heavy, wow its really a beast. A korg m3 with a radias, and a controller i think is still best for live shows as far as workstations go. The m3 allows you to load akai sample libs and save them on usb.

DF
Jv 5080 does not exist , if you mean xv5080 then it's already in the cloud as the jv1080
Old 11th September 2019
  #365
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Jv 5080 does not exist , if you mean xv5080 then it's already in the cloud as the jv1080
yes. my bad.
Old 11th September 2019
  #366
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I know, right? As I said, I want to buy one of each on looks alone! That said, I haven't quite sold myself on the sound of X/Xm yet.
Check out the new vid from Synthmania in the Jupiter X thread. There are a few outstanding moments, I think.

As I wrote in my mini-review of the demo, the overall sound of the synths is heavy on the mid-range and lacks a bit of that “analog sparkle” for me in the top end. This could be because of the way it was recorded, but I suspect not.

Generally speaking, this is typical of a lot of VA: it does well in the bass and mid-range but becomes problematic in the upper frequencies.

In the drum sounds, though, there’s plenty of top end sparkle (perhaps even a bit too much in this particular demo). I’m guessing it’s because these are sample based and being pushed through Roland’s usual engines for sample-based material with EQs, PEAK filters, etc.

Actually, I think I’ll just post the vid here since it doesn't seem anyone has posted it yet:

Old 11th September 2019
  #367
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Check out the new vid from Synthmania in the Jupiter X thread. There are a few outstanding moments, I think.

As I wrote in my mini-review of the demo, the overall sound of the synths is heavy on the mid-range and lacks a bit of that “analog sparkle” for me in the top end. This could be because of the way it was recorded, but I suspect not.

Generally speaking, this is typical of a lot of VA: it does well in the bass and mid-range but becomes problematic in the upper frequencies.

In the drum sounds, though, there’s plenty of top end sparkle (perhaps even a bit too much in this particular demo). I’m guessing it’s because these are sample based and being pushed through Roland’s usual engines for sample-based material with EQs, PEAK filters, etc.

Actually, I think I’ll just post the vid here since it doesn't seem anyone has posted it yet:


Yes.. it lacks that sheen. for 1499, no son, prophet rev 2. its cheaper too.

The system 8 sounds so much better than this. That is why man just get a second hand system 8 for less.

DF
Old 11th September 2019
  #368
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
Yes.. it lacks that sheen. for 1499, no son, prophet rev 2. its cheaper too.

The system 8 sounds so much better than this. That is why man just get a second hand system 8 for less.

DF
Were one only looking for an analog synth—or analog sounding synth—yeah, that would probably be the way to go.

But were one, say, looking for a synth that was capable of producing some analog-like tones, but also included a great sounding piano, was easily portable, able to operate on batteries, had wireless Bluetooth MIDI and built-in speakers, well… it's possible one might look no further.
Old 11th September 2019
  #369
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Were one only looking for an analog synth—or analog sounding synth—yeah, that would probably be the way to go.

But were one, say, looking for a synth that was capable of producing some analog-like tones, but also included a great sounding piano, was easily portable, able to operate on batteries, had wireless Bluetooth MIDI and built-in speakers, well… it's possible one might look no further.
Yeah if you need all the knobs, the same engine is the the mc707 and mc101.

You know what they say tho, jack of all trades, but not a master of one... This seems to apply in all things. You just cannot expect one thing to do it all.


DF
Old 11th September 2019
  #370
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
You know what they say tho, jack of all trades, but not a master of one...
True. Except I suspect the JUPITER-Xm will be a master at being the JUPITER-Xm.

It’s a unique package. I can’t think of anything else like it on the market. (If someone else can, please say!)
Old 12th September 2019
  #371
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
But those rivets
Old 12th September 2019
  #372
I played with the Fantom more today and the analog filter. WOW, it is growing on me, and made some sounds on it again and it can sound bright and nice, its just that the presets dont show it. This is a monster, and i was a little wrong, its no jupiter 8, but for digital, its pretty good. Shame the online videos don't do it justice.

DF
Old 12th September 2019
  #373
Lives for gear
 
Fleer's Avatar
And shame about the moving touchscreen.
Old 12th September 2019
  #374
http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8acidsaw.mp3

http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8meanacid.mp3

http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8resopads.mp3

Listen to how i made my real jupiter 8 sound when i had one. Super snappy envs, bright acid sound, mean osc, cutting and big. The cloud, and these new rolands fail to deliver the jupiter sound. But still they sound good for what they are, and they are not a jupiter 8 not even by a long shot.

DF
Old 12th September 2019
  #375
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory View Post
http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8acidsaw.mp3

http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8meanacid.mp3

http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/hexjp8resopads.mp3

Listen to how i made my real jupiter 8 sound when i had one. Super snappy envs, bright acid sound, mean osc, cutting and big. The cloud, and these new rolands fail to deliver the jupiter sound. But still they sound good for what they are, and they are not a jupiter 8 not even by a long shot.

DF
Those sound just like my Virus.

Those old Jupiter 8s can sound pretty good sometimes.
Old 12th September 2019
  #376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
Those sound just like my Virus.

Those old Jupiter 8s can sound pretty good sometimes.
Cept the virus is not as hi fi as the jupiter. The virus is bad ass tho its like the next step down. I love the virus too. But it doesn't have the same sing songy filter resonance the jupiter has.

DF
Old 12th September 2019
  #377
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

I reckon it sounds better.
Old 12th September 2019
  #378
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Modal Banks, as they seem to be called. Still hard to tell whether those are just collections of emulative settings, or actual differences in the modeling.
I think its save to assume that they are the same thing as the filter and oscillator choices in the System-8 synthesizer. "Select modules" in opposition to full ACB models. The concept of System-8's own engine is more related to how U-He Diva works, than to traditional synth architectures. (only Roland synth choices tho, where U-He offers additional Moog, Obi and Korg filters).

It remains to be seen how much of the resulting, potential flexibility will be given to the user.

For Fantom for example, i would wish to decide myself wether i want to run a V-E-Piano engine or a full Jupiter-8 ACB model from my cloud subscription (if the amount of available engines is limited).

I see many reasons why Roland could be interested in this themself.
Old 17th September 2019
  #379
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Anyone know anything about "Zenbeats"?

I found this on a Dutch report of the event (Googlish translation):
Zenbeats
Jeroen Ravesloot: 'What I can also report as news is that we are going to release September 17 with a program called Zenbeats. It is a tool for young musicians to build beats, to load samples, to make songs, with of course also the pattern mode and the arranger mode in it. In this way we will be fully compatible with everything, and it offers enormous possibilities with the Roland Cloud. '
It's the only mention of it I could find.
It's rolling out:


https://www.roland.com/us/products/zenbeats/features/

This is much bigger than I thought it would be.
Old 17th September 2019
  #380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
It's rolling out:


https://www.roland.com/us/products/zenbeats/features/

This is much bigger than I thought it would be.
Agreed. The use of “Zen” (again), the inclusion of hardware in the promos, AND that Roland Cloud seems to be managing and marketing this (check social media and your emails) seems to indicate that big things, including structural changes, are afoot. Also interesting that it shows Roland Cloud is willing to sell software, not just rent it.

Checking it out on my iPhone first and now.
Old 17th September 2019
  #381
Lives for gear
 

There’s a big Shopping Basket in the app interface.

Took two looks and deleted it.
Old 17th September 2019
  #382
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Agreed. The use of “Zen” (again), the inclusion of hardware in the promos, AND that Roland Cloud seems to be managing and marketing this (check social media and your emails) seems to indicate that big things, including structural changes, are afoot. Also interesting that it shows Roland Cloud is willing to sell software, not just rent it.

Checking it out on my iPhone first and now.
i guess this is just a rebranded version of the StageLight app from OpenLabs. they're working for Roland now.
Old 21st September 2019
  #383
Watching a short video on my Instagram Story feed this morning.....
At least three Roland boutique modules racked on the desktop of a very well known techno producer, with another well known techno producer playing them from a midi keyboard.
It's just a myth these smaller modules aren't being used by people at the top of the scene.
Old 21st September 2019
  #384
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Watching a short video on my Instagram Story feed this morning.....
At least three Roland boutique modules racked on the desktop of a very well known techno producer, with another well known techno producer playing them from a midi keyboard.
It's just a myth these smaller modules aren't being used by people at the top of the scene.
Fully agree, Chris.

I know a lot of producers and people with analog gear who are sick of the originals breaking down and are using the boutiques.

A very good friend of mine didn't get along with them, after getting the whole of the first bunch, but it wasn't to do with the sound. It was purely due to the form factor not sitting in with his workflow.

I also know several people who tour with the Aira range, and the TB-03s can be seen regularly in live sets.

The irony is, the top techno producers using these can afford the luxury of the originals, or generally have accumulated them over the years they've been active, but still choose to use the newer versions. The reason is because they're all about producing music.

GS just argues about why they're not analog.
Old 21st September 2019
  #385
The producer in question has both (large format and boutique).
He has 3 x boutiques stacked in a desktop rack next to his computer.
Even professionals often have small studios, and in my personal experience, people are flying weekly to play live, often every day over a long weekend. In both scenarios, the smaller the better.
Old 21st September 2019
  #386
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The producer in question has both (large format and boutique).
He has 3 x boutiques stacked in a desktop rack next to his computer.
Even professionals often have small studios, and in my personal experience, people are flying weekly to play live, often every day over a long weekend. In both scenarios, the smaller the better.
...yep. trying to work that particular headache out as we speak.

Gone are the endless budget days whereby you can transport a whole troop with you.

Not everyone is Chem Bros level. The boutiques work very well live, it must be said.

I'd love the originals back, but I've spent more on my Juno 106 alone over the years than my most expensive poly synth so comes a time when a reliable recreation is much appreciated.

I'm good for the Roland around now, though, so I'll try out these new Jupiters happily, but I'm not sure theres space in next year's gear budget.
Old 6th October 2019
  #387
Funny, going to try the mc101 as a live synth tone module. also use it for drums in the studio. heard more demos, and it grew on me.

If these mc101's work out as sound modules, wow. no more laptops on stage..

DF
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump