The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
Well, they are mod sources for example in the fm mutators.
But not mod sources for the filters, sadly...
Old 30th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
Clean-up aisle 7 ...
< done - sorry guys I was trying to install a graphics card in my old Mac Pro, so I was offline for a bit (sadly it didn't work) >
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
But not mod sources for the filters, sadly...
True, they seem not to be general mod sources per se.
Old 30th October 2019
Deleted 80b9b09
Excellent clean up!

These are now up for pre order at PMT in the UK!
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
< done - sorry guys I was trying to install a graphics card in my old Mac Pro, so I was offline for a bit (sadly it didn't work) >
That'll teach ya.

(sorry)
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Wait, Wiki is a secret order of alien earth history disinformation dissemination experts!?!?

And, the guy with the mousse doo is the leader? Guy’s ripped out of his hair!

He’s saying, hey, can you say, schmarmy?
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Well, that was fun..

I'd be quite happy to never see a video by Stimming ever again!

I still haven't heard anything impressive from this synth..
Old 30th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Please do not delete my S Club 7 announcement posts again
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
I don't clearly understand the difference between Mutants and Mutators .. Someone ?
I have had several mini rants about this here in the past.

From everything I could tell, there is no difference, they just ended up using two different terms that refer to exactly the same thing.

Given that theere are physical buttons on the panel which are already labelled Mutant, if I were them I would just rename mutator to mutant in the firmware and change the one or two places in the manual where it says mutator instead of mutant.
Old 30th October 2019
Deleted 6b7558f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
I don't clearly understand the difference between Mutants and Mutators .. Someone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
I have had several mini rants about this here in the past.

From everything I could tell, there is no difference, they just ended up using two different terms that refer to exactly the same thing.

Given that theere are physical buttons on the panel which are already labelled Mutant, if I were them I would just rename mutator to mutant in the firmware and change the one or two places in the manual where it says mutator instead of mutant.
Yeah, there's no difference, and there is a bit of inconsistency in terminology used throughout the manual and within the modulation settings. I suppose the idea was supposed to be that mutators refer to the mutants collectively, i.e., two or more mutants are mutators together, but mutators is not really a collective noun*, only a plural of mutator. Somewhere along the way in development, the words mutant and mutator became interchangeable.

(*If there were going to be a collective noun for a group of mutants, I'd vote for using "mangle" -- as in, a mangle of mutants -- but I'm open to other possible nouns...).
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Excellent clean up!

These are now up for pre order at PMT in the UK!
I wonder if any of the other retailers are going to get some in? Looks like this will be a big seller..
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict
I dont know if this is consistent with the manual, but it would make sense to me if mutator is the is the device that mutates signal, and mutant is the result of the mutation.

Think Toxic Avenger and other Troma movies!
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
I wonder if any of the other retailers are going to get some in? Looks like this will be a big seller..
KMR have a listing up as well.

https://www.kmraudio.com/ashun-sound...h-keyboard.php
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Nut

anyone hear an updated ship date estimate from their sweetwater rep or anything? hoping 11/1
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsk View Post
anyone hear an updated ship date estimate from their sweetwater rep or anything? hoping 11/1
Just sent mine a text, I’ll get back to you.
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

My SW rep emailed me today in reply, “...nothing yet, but expect within next few weeks...”—when I preordered beginning of September I was told mid November so nothing’s changed as yet notified.

Last edited by namnibor; 30th October 2019 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Damn vowels
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Just heard back. As reported by namnibor above, nothing has changed. Early November for first shipment, before mid November for more. We’ll see when mine is due in, I think I’m in the second batch.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenisnine View Post
I dont know if this is consistent with the manual, but it would make sense to me if mutator is the is the device that mutates signal, and mutant is the result of the mutation.

Think Toxic Avenger and other Troma movies!
Yes, thats one of the reasons I moaned about this terminology.

Because as you pointed out, there is a relationship between the words mutant and mutator.

However, I see no signs at all that this relationship actually applies to the way these terms are used for this synth, the terms mutant and mutator are just used in an interchangeable way to mean the same thing.

So, there is a disparity between what the terms imply, and what they actually mean in this case.

PS. As well as being a language bore about this small issue, I have now actually pre-ordered the desktop Hydrasynth. I'm in the UK so estimated date is currently early December.
Old 31st October 2019
Deleted 6b7558f
Quote:

Because as you pointed out, there is a relationship between the words mutant and mutator.

However, I see no signs at all that this relationship actually applies to the way these terms are used for this synth, the terms mutant and mutator are just used in an interchangeable way to mean the same thing.

So, there is a disparity between what the terms imply, and what they actually mean in this case.

PS. As well as being a language bore about this small issue, I have now actually pre-ordered the desktop Hydrasynth. I'm in the UK so estimated date is currently early December.
I am often pedantic to an annoying fault, yet I'm not bothered by how ASM are using these terms. It's easy enough for me to equate the two terms in context... and really, perhaps very little different from using the word glide instead of portamento, or even pressure for aftertouch. Just a minor mental adjustment. But I do see how it might be confusing, particularly if one isn't sure how they work. Mutator isn't exactly a common word, or not nearly as common as mutant. The former is probably most often used in programming software. The latter, perhaps best known from the X-Men comics.

Anyway, congrats on your pre-order. Hopefully you get it sooner rather than later. The waiting for me has been particularly agonizing. I just want this synth to arrive now! I've felt like that for a month and a half since I pre-ordered. LOL.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

I think this is the first time I've been so gobsmacked by a new synth, I suppose the combination of factors surrounding it. I won't beat a dead horse; but hopefully a 61 key version comes out since it'd allow me to condense, upgrade, and modernize my setup consecutively. I do look forward to see what others do with it after it ships out, especially since I exhausted all the reviews.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear
How is the filter compared to other VAs?
Does it have the same quality as Diva or Repro?
Old 31st October 2019
Quote:

The word MUTATOR doesn't fit inside the button's space.
The word MUTANT does.

There's no more to it than that. I hope this helps to ease the moaning:-)
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DemonDan_ View Post
The word MUTATOR doesn't fit inside the button's space.
The word MUTANT does.

There's no more to it than that. I hope this helps to ease the moaning:-)
Thanks. I spotted the button labels and thats one of the reasons I favour keeping mutant and ditching mutator.

The other reason is the manual. There are 37 references to mutant and only 7 for mutator. And when reading the manual, the term mutator comes across as a mostly abandoned leftover - most of the different mutant sections dont use the term mutator at all, with the harmonic one being the exception. The other mentions of mutator are to do with how this stuff is labelled in the firmware - mod destinations and control button on-screen labels.

My complaint remains obscure, but searching the manual for those two terms is what made me think that one of the terms is surplus to requirements.
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear

Wut? Seriously?
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
Wut? Seriously?
I can care a little bit about these things if I want.

I am not attaching strange and ridiculous claims to my thoughts, eg I am not shouting that this small and tedious detail makes a difference to how great the synth is or who will buy it.

Its just a small thing that I am talking about while we wait for the synth to become available, and I only started going on about it again because someone else mentioned the subject.

I'm not going to keep going on about it either, I am just a nerd about certain things but I'm also aware that if I repeat myself too often it will seem like I want to make a bigger deal out of something than is actually the case.

Actually playing the synth and crafting sounds with it will be so much more interesting, but I cant really talk about that yet.
Old 1st November 2019
Gear Nut

this sort of thing happens with automobile manufacturers all the time.

Last edited by steubig; 1st November 2019 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd November 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, been busy here.....I'll try to answer some things I saw in the last couple of pages quickly.

Hong Kong issues are not affecting the factory in Zhuhai or our offices in Hong Kong.
A batch of bottom panels with slight twists or dents from the metal supplier, that we rejected, and a cable that we found to be problematic during pre-production delayed things.
Metal supplier now knows the quality we expect...cable company replaced. 1st production run is done. Waiting to be shipped out.

Mutators, mutants, mutate, mutant, etc.....I should make up a good story about them for rumor mill sake.

Internal VS external power supplies....it boils down to cost. Internal costs more and requires more compliance testing issues. Too many countries and even states and cities have their own standards to pass. External supplies get certified and it cuts the cost to the manufacturer and thus to the end user.

I take exception to the idea of Hydra not being "warm" or having a lack of bass or beef or ba!!s. If you use a wave that was generated using additive or some other process that creates an unnatural or emphasised upper harmonic structure, people claim thin because your ear latches onto that. Use a sine or square or saw and it is fat....lower the cutoff to about 10k like some other products and it is "warm".
Flux did a nice side by side with the Sub Phatty which has a good heritage of fat bass sounds.
https://youtu.be/_bmalvoCzmI

Analogy sounds are in there for sure. We have not showcased them and I think most people reviewing it don't show them off because they like hearing the new sounds it can make. Hearing another "Toto Horns" patch or "Tom Sawyer" filter sweep is like hearing Hotel California....yeah its nice and all but do I need to really hear that again? I'll probably make some of those sounds though and have them online for people to download.
It was hard in sound design to lay off adding everything and do some simple 1 or 2 osc sounds with a simple filter sweep. Patch 1 is just a 1 osc saw into a filter controlled via polyaftertouch to show how a boring sound becomes musical with a good control source.

Ken did some sound examples on the filters as well in this video.
https://youtu.be/uwKDY-9BlZ4?t=779
We need to do an official filters video as well but I have been traveling and focused on getting stuff out.

Oscillators cannot be mod sources for the filters but you can modulate filters with external audio sources via the MOD1 and 2 inputs. Our sales manager told me he was playing with taking the output from the headphone to the input of the mod1/2 and getting some interesting feedback things. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like an interesting experiment.

My experiments lately have been making drum sounds. I'll try to make some beats using just Hydra sounds and post it in a few days.

That's all for now.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

(sung to the tune of...)

I’m dreaming of a black (and orange) Christmas
Not like the ones I used to know...
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM_Glen View Post
Hi, been busy here.....I'll try to answer some things I saw in the last couple of pages quickly.

Hong Kong issues are not affecting the factory in Zhuhai or our offices in Hong Kong.
A batch of bottom panels with slight twists or dents from the metal supplier, that we rejected, and a cable that we found to be problematic during pre-production delayed things.
Metal supplier now knows the quality we expect...cable company replaced. 1st production run is done. Waiting to be shipped out.

Mutators, mutants, mutate, mutant, etc.....I should make up a good story about them for rumor mill sake.

Internal VS external power supplies....it boils down to cost. Internal costs more and requires more compliance testing issues. Too many countries and even states and cities have their own standards to pass. External supplies get certified and it cuts the cost to the manufacturer and thus to the end user.

I take exception to the idea of Hydra not being "warm" or having a lack of bass or beef or ba!!s. If you use a wave that was generated using additive or some other process that creates an unnatural or emphasised upper harmonic structure, people claim thin because your ear latches onto that. Use a sine or square or saw and it is fat....lower the cutoff to about 10k like some other products and it is "warm".
Flux did a nice side by side with the Sub Phatty which has a good heritage of fat bass sounds.
https://youtu.be/_bmalvoCzmI

Analogy sounds are in there for sure. We have not showcased them and I think most people reviewing it don't show them off because they like hearing the new sounds it can make. Hearing another "Toto Horns" patch or "Tom Sawyer" filter sweep is like hearing Hotel California....yeah its nice and all but do I need to really hear that again? I'll probably make some of those sounds though and have them online for people to download.
It was hard in sound design to lay off adding everything and do some simple 1 or 2 osc sounds with a simple filter sweep. Patch 1 is just a 1 osc saw into a filter controlled via polyaftertouch to show how a boring sound becomes musical with a good control source.

Ken did some sound examples on the filters as well in this video.
https://youtu.be/uwKDY-9BlZ4?t=779
We need to do an official filters video as well but I have been traveling and focused on getting stuff out.

Oscillators cannot be mod sources for the filters but you can modulate filters with external audio sources via the MOD1 and 2 inputs. Our sales manager told me he was playing with taking the output from the headphone to the input of the mod1/2 and getting some interesting feedback things. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like an interesting experiment.

My experiments lately have been making drum sounds. I'll try to make some beats using just Hydra sounds and post it in a few days.

That's all for now.
For whatever it's worth Glen I thought the Hydrasynth was very full sounding, and I even found myself preferring it over the Sub Phatty(blasphemous I know) in Flux's demo at times(just listening not watching doing other stuff, but I'd lean over to look at my phone to see which it was when I preferred the sound). Then again I think the SY77 and Micro Q I have are full sounding too, but I'm probably as unbiased as it gets.
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I take exception to the idea of Hydra not being "warm" or having a lack of bass or beef or ba!!s.
I like the "warm" thinness of this synth

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search