The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Hydrasynth
Old 1 day ago
  #1201
I've been a bit busy so haven't finished my simple video on the oscillator stacking just yet. hope to get to it tomorrow but the patch is set up and ready to go.
with the Hydrasynth poly chained I am getting a healthy 20400 oscillators and I actually was able to make a usable patch with it all.
ok fair warning ... I hate click bait so I will let slip an aspect of the number. each instance of chorus is essentially multiplying the oscillators by 5... so there is that .
Old 1 day ago
  #1202
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Digital crust..... Digital sheen... It can't be both! Just turn the filter down a tiny bit, you'll be happier.
Oh ok, thanks. Dont always know what everything means, I appreciate it,
Old 1 day ago
  #1203
Lives for gear
 

Lol.
Old 1 day ago
  #1204
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DemonDan_ View Post
Yes! (Clever)

You can cycle through the wavetable (currently 219 waves), or any contiguous section of the wavetable, via any controller (wheels, knobs, ribbon, pressure, velocity, expression, envelopes, LFOs, CC#s, etc.). Or, you can pick up to eight waves, put them in a desired order, and morph between them via any of the above mentioned controllers.

If you want to hear what that sounds like contiguously, I assigned the Ribbon to Wave (not WaveScan) in the Mod Matrix, and then swept through the Waves:

(This link should take you to 9:53 on my Hydrasynth Deep Dive video)

https://youtu.be/chCQz-O4Gns?t=593

You can do this independently on all three Oscs.
Thank you so much, Dan, for the deep dive vid and for the extra info here. It was while watching your video two weeks ago that I decided I wanted this synth, because you gave us an hour and a half of most of the functions on the Hydra. Really well done, and I appreciate your time. Put in a pre-order last weekend, and now I've got to suffer through the waiting for it to arrive.

So a couple of questions, please, if you don't mind.

You mentioned you needed to learn more about how the phrase setting works in the arpeggiator. Have you had the chance to do so yet? I honestly don't recall if that feature has been covered anywhere else yet. If it has, I'm sorry.

Also, closer to the end of your vid when you demonstrate the CV/Gate settings, I noticed that the System Setup has 12 pages. I've been curious as to what sort of global functions are hiding in there. I did manage to pause the video at times to glimpse a few of the pages and settings -- global curves, contrast settings for the o-scope and main control screen (I think?), and I see the o-scope can be switched off. Plus, there's global aftertouch settings, including ATdelay, AToffset, ATfade and ATrelease. So my final question is, what other sort of geeky goodness might we find in System Setup?
Old 7 hours ago
  #1205
Gear Maniac
 

is the hydrasynth the most inspiring synth ever made?
Old 7 hours ago
  #1206
Here for the gear
 

Old 6 hours ago
  #1207
Gear Maniac
 

Any possibility to get a stylized "R" to put after the manufacturer logo?
Old 6 hours ago
  #1208
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamsk View Post

You can sink the different stages of an envelope to a BPM??? Did I hear that right???
Old 6 hours ago
  #1209
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
is the hydrasynth the most inspiring synth ever made?
For some people, undoubtedly! Just don't expect that acclaim to be universal. I suspect it'll be somewhat polarizing. Great UI, amazing value for money, and some key features that have people salivating. Balance that against a number of folks who aren't that impressed with what they've heard in demos so far, the four-octave keyboard, and a few other feature gaps like the lack of a sequencer and you have a solid contender that falls short of pleasing everyone.
Old 6 hours ago
  #1210
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
You can sink the different stages of an envelope to a BPM??? Did I hear that right???
Yep.
Old 6 hours ago
  #1211
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
For some people, undoubtedly! Just don't expect that acclaim to be universal. I suspect it'll be somewhat polarizing. Great UI, amazing value for money, and some key features that have people salivating. Balance that against a number of folks who aren't that impressed with what they've heard in demos so far, the four-octave keyboard, and a few other feature gaps like the lack of a sequencer and you have a solid contender that falls short of pleasing everyone.
This one seems like a total winner to me. Every demo has at least one sound that sounds very pleasing and inspiring to my ears and the sound design capabilities are stellar. I will have no hesitation with this purchase and I’m one indecisive MF’r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardSync View Post
Yep.
Trying to wrap my brain around the possibilities. That could definitely yield some interesting and usable results.
Old 6 hours ago
  #1212
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
For some people, undoubtedly! Just don't expect that acclaim to be universal. I suspect it'll be somewhat polarizing. Great UI, amazing value for money, and some key features that have people salivating. Balance that against a number of folks who aren't that impressed with what they've heard in demos so far, the four-octave keyboard, and a few other feature gaps like the lack of a sequencer and you have a solid contender that falls short of pleasing everyone.
Well I'm impressed, and I'm getting the kb and module together- so I guess I'm 'some people'. Anymore peeps doubling up on this awesome, innovative and very fun looking synth?
Old 6 hours ago
  #1213
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Trying to wrap my brain around the possibilities. That could definitely yield some interesting and usable results.
It gets better. The envelopes can be looped too. In the most basic sense, the envelopes can function as additional LFOs, but they can clearly do more than that. Me likes very much.
Old 5 hours ago
  #1214
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
We've had tempo-syncable envelopes in software years and years ago. Interesting how hardware synths are only now catching up in some aspects.
Old 5 hours ago
  #1215
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We've had tempo-syncable envelopes in software years and years ago. Interesting how hardware synths are only now catching up in some aspects.
Haha... unfortunately a computer screen and a mouse kills my enthusiasm. I’ve spent almost no time with soft synths and it’s not because I don’t think they’re capable of sounding amazing. I’m just wired a certain way and would rather go with the flow that I’m naturally geared towards. I wish I didn’t have to look at a computer screen at all during the creative process although that’s not a realistic possibility for me.

Anyways I’m glad hardware is finally catching up.
Old 5 hours ago
  #1216
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We've had tempo-syncable envelopes in software years and years ago. Interesting how hardware synths are only now catching up in some aspects.

There was another recent thread about synths with complex lfo's, and I suggested checking some soft synths.
I thought it was pretty well known here that most innovation is in software nowadays, but maybe not.
Some of the soft stuff is finally starting to filter down (into) hardware.

I think the Hydrasynth looks pretty interesting, mostly from a hardware perspective, but I'm not in the market for one right now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
This one seems like a total winner to me. Every demo has at least one sound that sounds very pleasing and inspiring to my ears and the sound design capabilities are stellar. I will have no hesitation with this purchase and I’m one indecisive MF’r.....
It's great when that happens.
Old 3 hours ago
  #1217
Gear Maniac
 

Any info on the key width / octave width (in mm)?
Old 1 hour ago
  #1218
Gear Nut
And that was the last we ever heard from Monomer.
Old 1 hour ago
  #1219
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Haha... unfortunately a computer screen and a mouse kills my enthusiasm. I’ve spent almost no time with soft synths and it’s not because I don’t think they’re capable of sounding amazing. I’m just wired a certain way and would rather go with the flow that I’m naturally geared towards. I wish I didn’t have to look at a computer screen at all during the creative process although that’s not a realistic possibility for me.
Same goes with me. I think softsynths like Diva and Repro sound fantastic, but I just have ZERO inspiration when using them, and only use them when I am in a time crunch...and then I only use their presets. Trying to edit and create new sounds with a mouse is simply unexciting and boring as all heck... and is the death of any creativity.

I'm still on the fence with the Hydrasynth, but the poly AT keyboard has me tempted to pick it up regardless just for that feature alone.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump