The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Hydrasynth
Old 1 week ago
  #841
Lives for gear
 
BobTheDog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I never used to be clear what ring mod was for.
Clangy sounds, a kind of robotic lo-fi distortion?

Yesterday it finally clicked -- Ring Mod is a 2 channel mixer!
Sort of.
Unlike a mixer though,
it merges or mashes its 2 different input signals into one combined sound.
Ring mod is a multiply so (signal1 * signal2) while usually a mixer is addition so (signal1 + signal2).

Good for making Daleks: https://webaudio.prototyping.bbc.co.uk/ring-modulator/
Old 1 week ago
  #842
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Ring mod is a multiply so (signal1 * signal2) while usually a mixer is addition so (signal1 + signal2).

Good for making Daleks: https://webaudio.prototyping.bbc.co.uk/ring-modulator/
Cool, thanks for the link.
Unfortunately I've never watched a single episode of Dr Who

You've got a Kronos, right?

In the AL-1 synth, the Ring Mod have several flavors:
Ring Mod, AM, Rectify, Clip
(found on the Osc Sub page)

And you have a few choices on what 2 inputs to multiply:

Modulator: Osc1, Noise
Carrier: Osc2, External Input

You choose the external input on the Osc Mixer page, Osc sub section.
I pumped some Rush into it while experimenting with all the flavors.
Old 1 week ago
  #843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
Sadly, it obviously has a wart. I was kind of willing to overlook the 4 octave keyboard (which I dislike as a rule) for the poly AT and ribbon, but the combination of 4 octaves and a wart means that I won’t be buying one of these.
After I plug in the external power adapter I don't even think about it anymore. My Alesis Ion had an internal power adapter that failed, it would have been much easier to replace an external one.
Old 1 week ago
  #844
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Ha! That was fun tweaking Dalek voices in the browser.

Guess I'm going to have to binge watch Dr Who then...
Old 1 week ago
  #845
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
"There is nothing magical about biological networks", he said.
You will hear from my astral lawyer soon.

Back to synths! I edited that comment for clarity.
They also taste just like chicken.
Old 1 week ago
  #846
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Ring mod is a multiply so (signal1 * signal2) while usually a mixer is addition so (signal1 + signal2).

Good for making Daleks: https://webaudio.prototyping.bbc.co.uk/ring-modulator/
I think Psionic mentioned that setting it to 0 means the oscillator is unaltered but still a signal goes through. I don't know if its right to describe Ringmode only as a multiplier, atleast in the case of the Hydrasynth if Psionic is right, as multiplying a value of 0 gives you nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedlekin View Post
Sadly, it obviously has a wart. I was kind of willing to overlook the 4 octave keyboard (which I dislike as a rule) for the poly AT and ribbon, but the combination of 4 octaves and a wart means that I won’t be buying one of these.

Other gear I refuse to buy because of a wart:
Yamaha MODX
Kurzweil PC4
Moog Matriarch
Behringer Odyssey
Korg Odyssey

Stuff I won’t buy because of 4 octaves (or less):
Behringer stringer / vocoder
UDO Super 6
Sequential Prophet 6
Sequential OB6

Stuff I will be buying:
Novation Summit (5 octaves with aftertouch, internal PSU)
Roland Jupiter X (5 octaves with aftertouch, internal PSU)
What is a wart, an external PSU?

The 4 octave thing, wouldn't you just get the desktop versions of the OB-6 and Hydrasynth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I never used to be clear what ring mod was for.
Clangy sounds, a kind of robotic lo-fi distortion?

Yesterday it finally clicked -- Ring Mod is a 2 channel mixer!
Sort of.
Unlike a mixer though,
it merges or mashes its 2 different input signals into one combined sound.

And as already noted, you can set one of those inputs to 0.
The result then is you just get the other input signal, unaltered.

So what's the big deal with just passing thru the same signal?
Because, ichbindin, you can effectively SPLIT or duplicate the source signal.





Osc1 ==> Mutator 1 ==> filter 1
But also
Osc1 ==> RingMod (at 0 depth) ==> filter 2

So there we have created another oscillator!
One will be the clean Osc1 sound going into filter2.
And the other will be a mutated Osc1 sound into filter1.

So Hydrasynth actually has 4 oscillators in practice.

Is it November yet?
Well it is curious that ring mod is shown in parallel with the other mutators before leading to the filter, so I could understand why you may think that.

Buuut it doesnt make sense, to me atleast, that the ring mod would be a signal generator in its own right, because by that logic you would always have the three oscillator source signals and an additional fourth ring mod source signal no matter what value its set at, since the ring mod signal will always differ in waveform to the original input signal provided a value greater than 0 is used.

Hence why I don't think the ring mod is a seperate input source. I think instead it would modify the signal of one, or combine two, of the 3 oscillators whether it be post or pre mutator, but do so in series rather than parallel as shown in the signal path.

It would be shown on the path signal as parallel in this case because it would not make sense to add 3 selectable ring mod units to each oscillator path where no input path from another oscillator is shown to feed into it, or have a single selectable ring mod unit which all 3 oscillator paths lead into because it only modifies two signals.

This would be my reasoning. Feel free to contest it.
Old 1 week ago
  #847
Lives for gear
Ring Mod doesn't generate any sound on its own.

Hydrasynth signal flow:

Osc1 ==> Mutator ==> Mutator ==> mixer
Osc2 ==> Mutator ==> Mutator ==> mixer
Osc3 ===================> mixer
Noise ===================> mixer

(input1 ) ========> Ring Mod => mixer
(input2 ) ========> Ring Mod => mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrasynth

Ring modulator
Selectable input sources
OSC1, OSC2, OSC3, Noise, All Mutator outputs, External Mod ½ in.
Depth control

Sound source mixer
Mix the following sources - OSC1, OSC2, OSC3, Noise, and Ring Mod.
Old 1 week ago
  #848
I'd imagine the ring mod mutator works the same as the FM mutator, where you can either select a wave form/frequency or one of the other oscillators.
Old 1 week ago
  #849
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Ring Mod doesn't generate any sound on its own.

Hydrasynth signal flow:

Osc1 ==> Mutator ==> Mutator ==> mixer
Osc2 ==> Mutator ==> Mutator ==> mixer
Osc3 ===================> mixer
Noise ===================> mixer

(input1 ) ========> Ring Mod => mixer
(input2 ) ========> Ring Mod => mixer
but wouldnt that mean you always have a fourth oscillator signal no matter what the ring mod value?



Old 1 week ago
  #850
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
I can’t wait for user manuals pdf’s to be posted on ASM website.
Old 1 week ago
  #851
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
...


YT vid w/SC & GD @ KC is A-OK!
Old 1 week ago
  #852
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I'd imagine the ring mod mutator works the same as the FM mutator, where you can either select a wave form/frequency or one of the other oscillators.
I'm wondering the same thing...
Does the Ring Mod have its own "hidden Osc" like the FM and Sync Mutators.

Or more likely, the RM takes 2 inputs.

Come on, ASM, release the manual already.
Old 1 week ago
  #853
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAF Vu Master View Post
As a recent SQ-80 disciple. I am turned on to PolyAT.
I might never touch my Blofelds again
Well the Blo will respond to poly AT/pressure if you can send it hehe
Old 1 week ago
  #854
Gear Addict
 

Yes it will.
Had to snow the SQ-80 until I can replace the caps in the PSU.
But I did test the polyAT with the Blofeld before that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Well the Blo will respond to poly AT/pressure if you can send it hehe
Old 1 week ago
  #855
Gear Head
That new sonicstate interview is really informative. I didn't know you could change between different vowel orderings for the vowel filter!
Old 1 week ago
  #856
Gear Maniac
Kaggle grand masters all preordered Hydrasynth because it doesn’t alias like catboost

I think differentiable neuroevolutionary synthesis is the future of video game score composition.

Soon you guys will all be bummed that the hit songs are literally being generated by GANs, like soon
Old 1 week ago
  #857
Lives for gear
It was an interesting interview.
Nice insight on how hard it is to make a poly AT keybed.

The sounds only demo was very clear
It had moments where it had the mid high breakup again

Synthmania's recordings had to have some processing on it
That's still my favorite warm video
Old 1 week ago
  #858
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Kaggle grand masters all preordered Hydrasynth because it doesn’t alias like catboost

I think differentiable neuroevolutionary synthesis is the future of video game score composition.

Soon you guys will all be bummed that the hit songs are literally being generated by GANs, like soon
All the forum responses praising the music will be generated by Elon Musk's fake news GAN
Old 1 week ago
  #859
Lives for gear
Just watched a live stream with Flux.
Fun times, next best thing to owning a Hydra

Here are some questions he addressed / demonstrated:

no import of custom waves
on target for 1st Nov release
manual coming very soon
RM has 2 input sources
there is an "analog feel" or "slop" function
wavestack includes uinison stereo spread
morphing from preset to preset recognized as feature request
high note, low note, last note priority are definite features
MPE being discussed, recognized as feature request
Old 1 week ago
  #860
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Just watched a live stream with Flux.
Fun times, next best thing to owning a Hydra

Here are some questions he addressed / demonstrated:

no import of custom waves
on target for 1st Nov release
manual coming very soon
RM has 2 input sources
there is an "analog feel" or "slop" function
wavestack includes uinison stereo spread
morphing from preset to preset recognized as feature request
high note, low note, last note priority are definite features
MPE being discussed, recognized as feature request
Is the stuff like MPE and morphing between presets possible on the Hydrasynth through software ie is the current hardware of the Hydrasynth able to facilitate such a feature?

Is it possible with the current hardware of the Hydrasynth to implement a different patch for the ribbon strip than what is being played on the keybed?

Old 1 week ago
  #861
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
Is the stuff like MPE and morphing between presets possible on the Hydrasynth through software ie is the current hardware of the Hydrasynth able to facilitate such a feature?

Is it possible with the current hardware of the Hydrasynth to implement a different patch for the ribbon strip than what is being played on the keybed?

No, and no
Old 1 week ago
  #862
Lives for gear
 
draig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
Just watched a live stream with Flux.
Fun times, next best thing to owning a Hydra

Here are some questions he addressed / demonstrated:

no import of custom waves
on target for 1st Nov release
manual coming very soon
RM has 2 input sources
there is an "analog feel" or "slop" function
wavestack includes uinison stereo spread
morphing from preset to preset recognized as feature request
high note, low note, last note priority are definite features
MPE being discussed, recognized as feature request
With the ability to chain together waves, that is a lot of flexibility so in this case, no user import is okay with me... (assuming I was looking to buy the synth)

I rarely find 'analog feel' functions to actually sound analog. Not without some utility though

MPE support and I might consider it!
Old 1 week ago
  #863
Gear Addict
 
unease's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
It's pretty clear from demos that the Hydrasynth gradually morphs from one wave to the next rather than cutting abruptly. An oscillator set at the mid-point between two waves will blend the two, which should be sonically identical to mixing the two signals. You can't route the "two" waves to different destinations because they're being produced by a single oscillator, but it will give you the desired effect.
But the Prophet VS has four separate oscillators that can be detuned from another, so in that sense it will not be exactly the same. Other than that I agree that the mixing of two waveforms on the VS should be comparable to morphing between teo waves on the Hydra.
Old 1 week ago
  #864
Gear Addict
 
weirdfishee's Avatar
 

Only just caught up on this synth. Wtf. When is this out to purchase?!!! Gas gas gas. The ribbon controller sold it for me
Old 1 week ago
  #865
Lives for gear
 
jiffybox's Avatar
Another day, another batch of videos and I’m even more convinced this is my next synth. Actually I’m not even questioning it at this point. Every demo leaves me in a daze of pondering the sound design possibilities here and how much fun it’s going to be to play. Really exciting stuff. The only thing up in the air at this point is what will Dave drop in the next few weeks? I’m excited, but realistically I don’t see the funds materializing for a Sequential over the rest of the year after already pulling the trigger on a 707. But I’ll just probably be able to swing a Hydrasynth and it sounds and looks so good that it doesn’t even feel like a Sequential consolation prize. Absolutely can’t wait for November 1st.
Old 1 week ago
  #866
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins View Post
I thought of you when this came up (starting at the 39:10 to 40:10). Is what he demonstrates here satisfactory to you?

As much as what you had on the older Kurzweil?

Yep, that's a better phaser than what PC3/Forte have
Old 1 week ago
  #867
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
... I’m excited, but realistically I don’t see the funds materializing for a Sequential over the rest of the year after already pulling the trigger on a 707. But I’ll just probably be able to swing a Hydrasynth...

Is the preorder price of $1,299 shown at Sweetwater going up after it begins to ship, or do you think that's going to be the normal price around "town"?

I've seen 3 or 4 different prices spoken about on different announcement sites.
Old 1 week ago
  #868
Lives for gear
 
monomer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Machine "learning" should always be in quote marks, because all they can do is simulate and execute commands.
So you're saying that you have actual proof that you can't make a mechanism that learns by using simulations and by executing commands?
If that is true, how come humans are capable of learning from simulations but computers are not?

And what is your definition of 'learning' anyway?
Old 1 week ago
  #869
Gear Maniac
 
gjvti's Avatar
 

This probably is the most intriguing monotimbral poly synth I have seen! ... And probably the only one of its kind what makes me think - well, I really need to consider it. Good work!
Old 1 week ago
  #870
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I think you're severely overestimating the intelligence of AI evangelists and underestimating the meaning of "learning". Machine "learning" should always be in quote marks, because all they can do is simulate and execute commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
So you're saying that you have actual proof that you can't make a mechanism that learns by using simulations and by executing commands?
If that is true, how come humans are capable of learning from simulations but computers are not?

And what is your definition of 'learning' anyway?
I originally deleted a post on this, don't want to distract.

But in summary, ML means using a machine to learn, not that the machine is learning. Just like wireless inevitably has wires on the router.

There's a moan zone thread on ML for further discussion!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump