The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtroost View Post
Is there any likelihood of a 61 key version on the horizon? Ive not been following but i love the sound, don't need another 49 key shortboard.
My pure speculative guess is that it took Novation about two years to come out with the Summit after introducing the Peak, so maybe in about another year? In the meantime, Virtual NAMM is next week, so who knows what may be possible. I would also love a 16-voice, 5-octave Hydrasynth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post
... I would also love a 16-voice, 5-octave Hydrasynth.
With the 3x8 pad array of the module (for melodic squishy-scale PAT-playing along with the keys) and a bi-timbral, 64-step sequencer with expanded CV-array included (and, remove those 8 clunky, set-position ARP knobs to make space for the sequencer controls and display).

It would be an uber-expressive Hydrasynth morphing-mutating-modulating workstation of epic proportions!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
With the 3x8 pad array of the module (for melodic squishy-scale PAT-playing along with the keys) and a bi-timbral, 64-step sequencer with expanded CV-array included (and, remove those 8 clunky, set-position ARP knobs to make space for the sequencer controls and display).

It would be an uber-expressive Hydrasynth morphing-mutating-modulating workstation of epic proportions!
Oh yeah? Would you buy two of them?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thinking of grabbing a Desktop HS...

Have these issues been resolved with firmware updates?

I tend to work in quite low light so mega bright pads would be an absolute buzz kill for me..
Same with unresponsive pads!

Any owners with latest firmware able to share their experiences?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakuh View Post
So, being a newbee here, I read a lot of this thread before getting a desktop HS. It just arrived this morning, and after a few hours of trying to to figure out things, I felt 2 points being a real annoyance, just wrote to ASM customer service to ask if they can do something about those two:

The issue of having waaaay too bright white leds (the worse for the eyes, being a blue / cold light), and the pads waaaay too bright as well, including the dimmest options for both. The OLED panel can be deemed perfectly, but the leds and pads might be a selling trick when on the shelves, but staying hours on the machine kills your sight. I asked if they can implement an option to dimm the leds by 80% less from the already dimmed option, and have the same with the pad, with an extra option to have no light at all (like on my mini Aturia controler).
I read people already complaining about the same thing, anyone having a workaround, besides wearing sun glasses over my glasses, welcome!

Second bad finding, to get a sound on the pads, you need to press quite hard, otherwise no sound comes out. Compared with the superbasic 99$ Arturia minikeyboard having pads, it is quite easier to get a sound with very light pression there. I tried all the curves options, and find no change in that regard. OK for AT, but for getting just a sound, pushing quite a bit is necessary, even when suppressing veloccity, so not very natural.
Old 1 week ago
GSE
Here for the gear

Here is my first block of original patches being auditioned. More to come.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Well, no new update so far. Lets keep writing them (not putting pression, but just asking).
I put some masking tape on some lighted buttons, and I cover the pads with a carboard to avoid their lights. Using external controlers (Xkey and Joué), I use the pads rarely. They are welcome as you can do things, if they could allow to dimm them more and allow no lighting as an option, that would be great. Playing the HSD with ext. keyboard, or the pads, or something else like the Joué, it seems you have 3 different instruments. But retrospectively, even if I prefer the form factor of the desktop, I might have very well enjoy the key version for more expressivity.
The experience with a Joué is quite interesting, for those who are not keybordist, it lends you to play differently, more out of the box (or out of the B&W keys). And also, most of the sounds are not E.keyboard - piano, so it makes sense to use controlers that are more in phase with the sounds. Still discovering the Joué possibilities, having MPE guitar like pad, or keys pad without black keys, with glissando and pitch and poly-aftertouch or vibrato under your fingers, bring a more in phase feeling with the sound and the play, not even speaking of expressivity which are of course the core of it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, no new update so far. Lets keep writing them (not putting pression, but just asking).
I put some masking tape on some lighted buttons, and I cover the pads with a carboard to avoid their lights. Using external controlers (Xkey and Joué), I use the pads rarely. They are welcome as you can do things, if they could allow to dimm them more and allow no lighting as an option, that would be great. Playing the HSD with ext. keyboard, or the pads, or something else like the Joué, it seems you have 3 different instruments. But retrospectively, even if I prefer the form factor of the desktop, I might have very well enjoy the key version for more expressivity.
The experience with a Joué is quite interesting, for those who are not keybordist, it lends you to play differently, more out of the box (or out of the B&W keys). And also, most of the sounds are not E.keyboard - piano, so it makes sense to use controlers that are more in phase with the sounds. Still discovering the Joué possibilities, having MPE guitar like pad, or keys pad without black keys, with glissando and pitch and poly-aftertouch or vibrato under your fingers, bring a more in phase feeling with the sound and the play, not even speaking of expressivity which are of course the core of it.
There's something right in the settings that lets you have them dim or bright. Are you saying that dim is still too bright?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sunglasses 😎
Here for the gear

Yeah, I found that feature and dimmed already, probably because half of my life was spent working in front of a stupid monitor, even when lowing down the brightness. When you lower the Macbook screen at the max, I still have to use extra software like Shades, to lower luminosity some more. Now it is known than blue light destroys the eyes, so newly we find options to have warmer tone to balance that on computer OS. Oh, yeah, I tried sunglass on top of my glasses, hum, when it is easily doable with software update, this is what I whish to see coming.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah, I found that feature and dimmed already, probably because half of my life was spent working in front of a stupid monitor, even when lowing down the brightness. When you lower the Macbook screen at the max, I still have to use extra software like Shades, to lower luminosity some more. Now it is known than blue light destroys the eyes, so newly we find options to have warmer tone to balance that on computer OS. Oh, yeah, I tried sunglass on top of my glasses, hum, when it is easily doable with software update, this is what I whish to see coming.
So you think that the dimmed setting is too bright? Interesting, I think it's perfect.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could open up the synth and mark each led with a black permanent marker. This is the way I dimmed the lights of my System-1m which was also overly bright but had no way to dim the lights via software. The black marker trick worked perfectly!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Any SQ-80 and Hydrasynth owners?

How does the PolyAT compare between the two.

Asking for a friend!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
So you think that the dimmed setting is too bright? Interesting, I think it's perfect.
I also prefer that the pads could be made dimmer.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OK I am in, ordered today

I was waiting for the Osmose (have a pre-order) but a bird (synth) in the hand....especially during lock down in the UK!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
a chord-mode is still not availiable on the desktop-unit, right ?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Turned up today. Updated to 1.5.2 no problem.

I have been buying/playing with synths for 30 years- First one was an SY22 and the hydrasynth is the first synth synth then (and believe me there have been a few score sin between!) to make me smile like a kid

Love the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it works and love the sounds it makes. The perfect combination of 'instant gratification' and depth. Great Job ASM.
📝 Reply