The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP11 View Post
Can I send audio from my JU-06 into the Hydrasynth?
Yes, using this trick:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aieTIwdEAgM

It’s only mono input though, so if you use the juno chorus, the wide stereo field will get back to mono
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Actually you are right and I’ve had a discussion with the team about this....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux302 View Post
Actually you are right and I’ve had a discussion with the team about this....
You’re talking about the delay modulation right?
Old 27th November 2020
Gear Nut

Has anyone seen anywhere in the US where the Hydrasynth is being offered at a discount because of Black Friday or other holiday sales?

Last edited by franktree; 27th November 2020 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Lives for gear

Just a latent moment of thanks to ASM for designing a synth that’s simply a joy to program
Old 27th November 2020
Here for the gear
Just got delivery of this beast last week (keyboard). The build quality is impeccable, on the surface the UI is reminiscent of the SQ80 but is brought right upto date and beyond. Lots of features and innovations to compete and jam with my expanding modular rig. Hats off
Old 30th November 2020
Gear Nut

fwiw, my workaround to get to polyaftertouch and the mod wheel quickly in the mod matrix is to choose lfo 5 for the assign slot and then scroll up, as it's far shorter.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
I’d recommend a factory reset/Re flash of firmware or possibly checking to see if you are having power supply issues. This is not a bug that we have seen.
Hi yes that seems to have fixed it. Not sure what went wrong when I first updated the firmware when I purchased it. But what ever all very stable now. Next fix the local off on the desktop !
Lives for gear

Hey, can anyone active on the ASM FB group please ask about adding a Roland Jupiter 8 2- and 4-pole low pass OTA filter (IR3109) emulation? I am not on FB, but I think this would be a pretty cool addition, thanks.
Old 1st December 2020
Here for the gear

Has anyone heard or seen an overlay for the Hydrasynth? I initially didn't mind the design of the synth (orange and black) but I've really grown bored of it as of lately. Haven't seen anyone offering an overlay, tho. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post
Hey, can anyone active on the ASM FB group please ask about adding a Roland Jupiter 8 2- and 4-pole low pass OTA filter (IR3109) emulation? I am not on FB, but I think this would be a pretty cool addition, thanks.
I agree that would be awesome
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’d recommend a factory reset/Re flash of firmware or possibly checking to see if you are having power supply issues. This is not a bug that we have seen.

Disregard what I've written below. I just powered off/on and everything is fine.

My pads never seemed quite right to me. I set the velocity to the softest setting but I sometimes feel that I have to press too hard to trigger and often if I play something fast, notes are missed. I tried the reset. It seems a bit better, but after testing each pad I discovered that the top right pad will not respond to aftertouch at all no matter how much mashing on it I do.

Is there anything else to try, or should I just return my unit for another?
Old 2nd December 2020
Here for the gear

This is the same that surprised me when I got the HSD, so hard to press and not made for fast playing. For other ways of playing it might be interesting though. But having no issue with some corners having less responsiveness for aftertouch (for what you need to press hard anyways). May be your unit have an issue.
I wrote to ASM that the issue of the pads (for my use), might be a deal breaker and sending back the unit. But I'll keep it, as an external Poly AT keyboard brings a lot of live into the desktop, and having the Xkey + the pads makes a nice combo.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Analog effects in the signal chain

I am slowly learning about hardware synths, and I was wondering if it's possible to add analog effects, such as chorus, reverb, and distortion, in the signal chain of the ASM Hydrasynth. I know it's possible to add analog effects after the signal is completely processed and is outputted by the Hydrasynth; however, is there any way to add effects within the chain? Thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by floeezy View Post
I am slowly learning about hardware synths, and I was wondering if it's possible to add analog effects, such as chorus, reverb, and distortion, in the signal chain of the ASM Hydrasynth. I know it's possible to add analog effects after the signal is completely processed and is outputted by the Hydrasynth; however, is there any way to add effects within the chain? Thanks.
In the Hydrasynth you have options for both pre-FX/post FX, anything else, you’re adding post-Hydrasynth
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
In the Hydrasynth you have options for both pre-FX/post FX, anything else, you’re adding post-Hydrasynth
The effects chain is internal to the Hydrasynth; there's no way to add external effects (like pedals) to the chain except after the audio leaves the main outs.

There aren't any sends or returns, just CV ins and outs (which can take audio using hacks like using the ring modulator or FM mutants).
Old 5th December 2020
Gear Nut
Hi Hydrasynth devotees, is it possible (desktop unit) for the screen to automatically switch to filter when you turn the dedicated cutoff knob ? Its a bit pf pain to have to switch the filter module in to get the graphic......thanks
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clean View Post
Hi Hydrasynth devotees, is it possible (desktop unit) for the screen to automatically switch to filter when you turn the dedicated cutoff knob ? Its a bit pf pain to have to switch the filter module in to get the graphic......thanks
The dedicated knobs are there as performance knobs where you don't need any feed back from the screen, leaving the macro knobs free to perform with.

Is one button push to display the filter settings really that much of a pain?
Old 5th December 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi all, since tuesday i'm a proud Hydrasynth Owner too (Desktop). After the first "woah" and "ahh" Sessions were over i came to the same conclusions as some of you. Pads way to hard, Pads lack responsiveness, LEDs to bright. Currently i'm in the process of integration in my studio and i can't seem to get channel aftertouch from my Novation SL MkIII to work. Other than that i absolutely love the thing and i think it sounds amazing.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
Currently i'm in the process of integration in my studio and i can't seem to get channel aftertouch from my Novation SL MkIII to work.
Most of hydrasynth patches (same for keyboard and the desktop) use poly aftertouch. When connecting to a slMK3, choose a patch on your hydrasynth, go to mod matrix, change polyAFT to MonoAFT, and should be ok, i guess.
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

Just trying Ableton Live 11 and it works superb with the polyAT of the Hydrasynth!! I love being able to record everything as midi finally!
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Thanks yep get they are a performance knobs, I'm using it in DAW studio environment and maybe a pain is to strong a word ! Inconvenience maybe ? Anyway it would be nice to have an option to choose at least
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcmusic35 View Post
Most of hydrasynth patches (same for keyboard and the desktop) use poly aftertouch. When connecting to a slMK3, choose a patch on your hydrasynth, go to mod matrix, change polyAFT to MonoAFT, and should be ok, i guess.
yep, thought i did that, thought and did wrong :P. Now AT works, thanks.

Last edited by loopback; 6th December 2020 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: missing quote
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

Selling my Hydrasynth desktop because I bought the keyboard version. Don't need both.
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Selling my Hydrasynth desktop because I bought the keyboard version. Don't need both.
Yes, you do!

Actually, they are EPIC together (when tweaked accordingly). Way beyond dual MicroFreak epic.
Attached Thumbnails
Hydrasynth-asm-hydrasynth-8-8-gf45s.jpg  
Old 7th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Yes, you do!

Actually, they are EPIC together (when tweaked accordingly). Way beyond dual MicroFreak epic.
I knew you'd disagree
Old 12th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I'm about to possibly buy this as the last piece in my Setup, I've got enough analog, Reface DX for FM, D-05, Wavestate as my digitals and have a Kickstarter pre-order(delivery early 2021) in for Tooro which is digital/analog hybrid with Wavetable synthesis already(based on the Microwave say the dev), so I'm hesitant to purchase...

I'm after Waldorf Wave type sounds on a budget.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
I'm about to possibly buy this as the last piece in my Setup, I've got enough analog, Reface DX for FM, D-05, Wavestate as my digitals and have a Kickstarter pre-order(delivery early 2021) in for Tooro which is digital/analog hybrid with Wavetable synthesis already(based on the Microwave say the dev), so I'm hesitant to purchase...

I'm after Waldorf Wave type sounds on a budget.
For wavetable and D-50 type stuff the Hydra excels, plus it can do FM and VA in unique ways. It's on my want list too, maybe early next year.

Plus there's that coveted poly aftertouch, and an intuitive UI. I can see programming the *bleep* out of one when I eventually get it.

But it might be a bit redundant when you already have a bunch of wavetable gear.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
For wavetable and D-50 type stuff the Hydra excels, plus it can do FM and VA in unique ways. It's on my want list too, maybe early next year.

Plus there's that coveted poly aftertouch, and an intuitive UI. I can see programming the *bleep* out of one when I eventually get it.

But it might be a bit redundant when you already have a bunch of wavetable gear.
It's a type of synthesis I've overlooked but I'm listening heavily to alot of modern electro atm, I'm hearing spacey morphing pads(which I guess could be Wavetable?) and also more industrial tones, also nice spacey kraftwerk style sequences on Anthony Rothers music, for this he uses his Waldorf Wave. Argon8M was a contender, but reading posts online I feel most prefer the Hydrasynth(not as limited) of the 2 and some even sold of their Microwave synths for it. I dont personally consider Wavestate or D-05 wavetable, more VA, rompler and LA synthesis, but as I haven't got the Tooro yet I may find that gives me all I need when it arrives.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
It's a type of synthesis I've overlooked but I'm listening heavily to alot of modern electro atm, I'm hearing spacey morphing pads(which I guess could be Wavetable?) and also more industrial tones, also nice spacey kraftwerk style sequences on Anthony Rothers music, for this he uses his Waldorf Wave. Argon8M was a contender, but reading posts online I feel most prefer the Hydrasynth(not as limited) of the 2 and some even sold of their Microwave synths for it. I dont personally consider Wavestate or D-05 wavetable, more VA, rompler and LA synthesis, but as I haven't got the Tooro yet I may find that gives me all I need when it arrives.
Have you not considered the Blofeld, its half the price of the hydra desktop.
📝 Reply