The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Especially these days, with earphones. I suspect most people in modern societies lose everything above 14kHz by the time they’re 13 now.

But let me not derail! I am ancient and the Hydrasynth puts out plenty of sweet high frequencies I can use and enjoy!
Have you got yours yet?
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Have you got yours yet?
shhhh.... yes! (Keyboard) - it’s magnificent!
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
shhhh.... yes! (Keyboard) - it’s magnificent!
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

One doesn't even need to nod... just a knowing glance between enlightened COTH members as the Cult Of The Hydrasynth expands exponentially global 8-voices at a time.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfny81 View Post
Hi all..soo the Hydrasynth Desktop is on my list of synths right now.

How are the pads for "playablity" ? I ask as the Key version is not an option for me budget wise.
I would answer this with a "meh" rating. Unfortunately I've used both Conituum and Linnstrument in recent years, and these are the pinnacle of dynamic pressure sensitivity....

Hydrasynth Desktop is a great little sound design platform, but the pads don't respond AT ALL to PP or P touch dynamics. This is regardless of Velocity setting. In a perfect world I could just rest my fingers on the pads and the note would activate with a velocity of 1-10. Instead I press inward until some legit pressure is pushing the pads down.... which feels more like a velocity of 60.

The pads are generally my only critique... but it's a pretty serious issue that prevents them being truly musically expressive.

Last edited by spiderman; 6th September 2020 at 09:57 PM..
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

The PADS feel really nice to the touch and are responsive, but they do require a lot of pressure... I also think too much pressure for a poly interface. But, they have a durability to them that makes me think they will last a long time.

I wonder if their touch sensitivity can be eased up on in a F/W update, so more subtle and nuanced finger pressure is able to generate plenty of level and PAT modulation. Perhaps even a per-preset savable adjustment?

They HS keyboard pressure requirements and PAT feel just right to me.

A long time ago, I bought a hand gripper exerciser for guitarists, but I think some more finger exercising will help my HS poly pad playing.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Beatnick

Old 6th September 2020
reading the tinnitus comments in here, I think another important aspect to remember is that while tinnitus is a physical ailment, it also has a large psychosomatic component as well. Its been proven that focusing on tinnitus generally increases the symptoms. To this point if you have it in your mind that certain synths are going to trigger it... it's likely that they will. I have tinnitus as well (Luckily it is rarely to the point of crippling me but some days it can be quite a pain.) I have honestly found meditation can be a great solution to "reset"... I've also had instances where that has had the opposite effect. for me personally no single synth triggers it. I have had it trigger from various radio and tv programs but it seems to rarely be one specific piece of gear.
I feel for those who suffer from Tinnitus in the extreme cases as detailed above.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux302 View Post
reading the tinnitus comments in here, I think another important aspect to remember is that while tinnitus is a physical ailment, it also has a large psychosomatic component as well. Its been proven that focusing on tinnitus generally increases the symptoms. To this point if you have it in your mind that certain synths are going to trigger it... it's likely that they will. I have tinnitus as well (Luckily it is rarely to the point of crippling me but some days it can be quite a pain.) I have honestly found meditation can be a great solution to "reset"... I've also had instances where that has had the opposite effect. for me personally no single synth triggers it. I have had it trigger from various radio and tv programs but it seems to rarely be one specific piece of gear.
I feel for those who suffer from Tinnitus in the extreme cases as detailed above.
Hey Flux, I really like your patches, too, this time around! FightBot, very videogame. (wasn't as much of a fan of your Microfreak contributions, everyone has their own taste, as always, no worries)
Old 7th September 2020
Quote:
Hey Flux, I really like your patches, too, this time around! FightBot, very videogame. (wasn't as much of a fan of your Microfreak contributions, everyone has their own taste, as always, no worries)
well in fairness not all my microfreak patches were correctly implemented in the final bank... but thats another story lol.
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

+1 on @ Flux302 HS patches. Some gems in there. I especially like the evolving and harmonically rich pads.

I think a new PolyAT ((( stereo ))) MicroFreak pairing like @ tjontheroad is already set in my head., so I'm looking forward to it very much. I keep swinging between black or white vocoder edition or one of each and am now leaning dual whiteys. 

A little OT, but I finally figured out a great way to add space for shadow depth synth modules and boards like the MF along with synth stomp pedal FX chains into my synth circle by attaching slide-out under-desk trays on my 5 adjustable height synth tables that don't already have slide out shelfs.

These trays are 27" wide, 11" deep and have 2.5" clearance height which is more than adequate for dual MF's side by side. I just have to raise the tables a notch to compensate, which raises the keyboard synths (like the D, V, P6, OB6) on top of them accordingly, but still within a fairly ergo level.

I've got more levels man... means more gearz!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Hydrasynth-vivo-keyboard-tray-lg_01.jpg   Hydrasynth-vivo-keyboard-tray-lg_02.jpg   Hydrasynth-vivo-keyboard-tray-lg_04.jpg   Hydrasynth-vivo-keyboard-tray-lg_05.jpg   Hydrasynth-vivo-keyboard-tray-lg_06.jpg  

Old 10th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
<You're getting a official warning and pppch (who crossed the line) is getting a 2 month ban. That's about it. >
After three weeks, I began to wonder about what happened to pppch.

2 months?

Wow! That must have been quite a line!
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear
Just packed mine up for new owner. Not sure why one synth gets used in songs and others don't. But things that sound to artificial or cheezy seem to get pushed aside. A symptom of my current creative dilemma.
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Just packed mine up for new owner. Not sure why one synth gets used in songs and others don't. But things that sound to artificial or cheezy seem to get pushed aside. A symptom of my current creative dilemma.
Not sure i understood why you're selling yours...
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Not sure i understood why you're selling yours...
because it never seems to fit into my music
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
because it never seems to fit into my music
I've had the same problem with some digital synths, I'll find out tomorrow if this one of them
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
I've had the same problem with some digital synths, I'll find out tomorrow if this one of them
My songs right now all sound like they are stuck between acoustic and electric. Sounds that are too artificial stick out In a bad way and another synth that can do the job is brought in. The HS is good but I don’t have time to fix the issues.
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
Hello lovely madmen and madwomen!

I got my lovely Hydra a couple of weeks ago, and haven't stopped finding any excuse to lay my fingers on it. My, my... what an enticing creature!

Here's my first little ditty, all ASM, except for the beats and the rain :

If I could like this more than once I would have. Really nice.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

So hydra arrived yesterday. Initial impression for the second time... the tone I grew to strongly dislike the first time is nowhere to be found. Really sounds good. Lets see how I feel in a few weeks THIS time.
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Is anyone using the roli seaboard rise with mpe with the hydrasynth desktop successfully?

I can get it to trigger the hydrasynth with mpe off but as soon as i turn mpe on in the hydrasynth it stops working. Have noticed with it on no midi notes work, but If i press the hydrasynth pads and then use the roli aftertouch works but no notes?

Really keen on using the ployphonic aftertouch and mpe with roli and hydrasynth any ideas?
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
My songs right now all sound like they are stuck between acoustic and electric. Sounds that are too artificial stick out In a bad way and another synth that can do the job is brought in. The HS is good but I don’t have time to fix the issues.
In my experience, wavetable synths tend precisely towards those tonalities, especially plucked, and also electric guitar and organ, if you make delicate rather than "swirly" patches, so I can see how you might not find the Hydrasynth fitting in.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

Quote:
In my experience, wavetable synths tend precisely towards those tonalities, especially plucked, and also electric guitar and organ, if you make delicate rather than "swirly" patches, so I can see how you might not find the Hydrasynth fitting in.
Just an idea or thought about getting your Hydrasynth, or any other synth, to fit in better: Layer it with another synth. Synths like this one, for me anyway, work so well when layered in at a lower volume with another synth. It provides movement and sonic interest in an otherwise basic pad. The Hydra can take front and center, absolutely, but it can also do amazing things when its kind of burbling in the background -- kind of heard, but kind of not heard, if that makes sense.
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaRift View Post
Just an idea or thought about getting your Hydrasynth, or any other synth, to fit in better: Layer it with another synth. Synths like this one, for me anyway, work so well when layered in at a lower volume with another synth. It provides movement and sonic interest in an otherwise basic pad. The Hydra can take front and center, absolutely, but it can also do amazing things when its kind of burbling in the background -- kind of heard, but kind of not heard, if that makes sense.
This is a great post but unfortunately for my Hydrasybth ownership. I do make extensive use of layering my hardware synthesizers and I was noticing that when I went back to listen, the contribution of the HS was often to muddy the sound, or didn't make a big contribution.

So the HS in my setup was a victim of reality - I loved it when I first got it, but the more I used it, the less it got used, as Yogi Berra would say.

I took the money and bought a EX5r and a Pittsburgh 3900. Not that those will necessarily be better. The things that survive in my setup p2500, system 1m, MatrxBrute, Korg Kronos - I wouldn't necessarily predict ahead of time that they would survive.

My music is not worth this discussion at this point, frankly, but I am working on it each day
Old 20th September 2020
Hey guys and gals!

Hope you're all enjoying your Hydrasynths. We decided to release the bank we've been working on as a free download. 82 patches in total and nearly all of them have extensive Macros, MW and Aftertouch assignments. (Only Mono Aftertouch or Channel Aftertouch) as we didn't quite get to the Poly Aftertouch assignments due to a few odd experiences we encountered.

The Robust Hydrasynth Page contains all the info as well as a patch list page and you can download the bank file directly from there. Or, you can grab the file right now from the link below.

Volume I for the Hydrasynth - Direct Download

We hope you enjoy this "nearly finished" bank for the Hydrasynth. We plan on returning to the Hydra in the future and next time we will be getting the keyboard version for sure.

Thanks for your time!
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
Hey guys and gals!

Hope you're all enjoying your Hydrasynths. We decided to release the bank we've been working on as a free download. [...]

We hope you enjoy this "nearly finished" bank for the Hydrasynth. We plan on returning to the Hydra in the future and next time we will be getting the keyboard version for sure.

Thanks for your time!
Thank you for sharing this. There are some really killer and useful leads in this bank.
Old 21st September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaRift View Post
Thank you for sharing this. There are some really killer and useful leads in this bank.
Thank you AquilaRift!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1.5.2 bugfix update is out!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
1.5.2 bugfix update is out!
And another free bank from asm https://www.facebook.com/19564125946...5191678114071/

https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads
Old 4 weeks ago
man I love this freakin synth!
📝 Reply