The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

We do have problems with delayed deliveries of computer components from china, due to the corona virus.

So I can imagine it affects the Hydrasynth as well...
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
I think you should provide links to your research before spreading bulls4!t that heavy and far. Recent research from the Journal of Hospital Infection combines 22 separate studies of coronaviruses, and suggests a maximum of 9 days for nCov19, and a much lower threshold for SARS:

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents
I am not just saying it, the study is out there, google it. Sars was definitely 28 days and that was just usig the protein testing. They suspected the live virus may live longer but unable to test with live virus because they would get infected. Straight up! Think this study was in the lancet. I took delivery of the desktop 2 weeks ago - still here
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
I am not just saying it, the study is out there
Yeah, right. There's also a "study" that shows roller coasters will dislodge kidney stones. Google it.

Unless you can point to actual evidence, then yes, you're just saying it.
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
I think you should provide links to your research before spreading bulls4!t that heavy and far. Recent research from the Journal of Hospital Infection combines 22 separate studies of coronaviruses, and suggests a maximum of 9 days for nCov19, and a much lower threshold for SARS:

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-s...d-on-a-surface

According to this article, the corona virus that can affect human can last up to 9 days (room temp). And it also says "The ones that can only infect animals - could even persist for longer than 28 days."

Well, I think that's we know for now. But do we know all aspect of this virus? I don't think so.

It's too early to rule anything out IMHO.

ps) I love my Hydrasynth!
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

As I'm paranoid and my Hydrasynth is arriving today I thought I would look into this a bit.

From the CDC : https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Quote:
Q: Am I at risk for novel coronavirus from a package or products shipping from China?

A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS and SARS). 2019-nCoV is more genetically related to SARS than MERS, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS and MERS, we can use the information from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus website as it becomes available.

From the World Health Organisation: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

Quote:
Is it safe to receive a package from China or any other place where the virus has been identified?

Yes, it is safe. People receiving packages are not at risk of contracting the new coronavirus. From experience with other coronaviruses, we know that these types of viruses don’t survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.
Quote:
How long does the virus survive on surfaces?

It is still not known how long the 2019-nCoV virus survives on surfaces, although preliminary information suggests the virus may survive a few hours or more. Simple disinfectants can kill the virus making it no longer possible to infect people.

It also seems there are no recorded cases yet of catching this from packages, not that I can find anyway.

I'm going to wipe mine over with some Isopropyl and then not worry!
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio View Post
So the conclusion is that Hydrasynth is not a Virus killer, but rather... I can't figure this out.
That was awesome man !!!
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

So my Hydrasynth desktop has arrived, stupidly short power lead!

I have a question though for anyone using MPE, here program changes don't work if MPE is turned on, perfectly fine if MPE is turned off.

Has anyone managed to get this working with MPE?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
So my Hydrasynth desktop has arrived, stupidly short power lead!

I have a question though for anyone using MPE, here program changes don't work if MPE is turned on, perfectly fine if MPE is turned off.

Has anyone managed to get this working with MPE?
I don't use MPE or have anything apart from the Hydrasynth that supports it, but I did try to send program changes with MPE turned on and it doesn't seem to respond. So I can at least confirm that much... By the way, I tried this by sending on both channels 1 and 16... don't know which is the common/master channel when MPE is in use.

Last edited by AquilaRift; 15th February 2020 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: added a btw
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaRift View Post
I don't use MPE or have anything apart from the Hydrasynth that supports it, but I did try to send program changes with MPE turned on and it doesn't seem to respond. So I can at least confirm that much... By the way, I tried this by sending on both channels 1 and 16... don't know which is the common/master channel when MPE is in use.
Thanks very much for testing that for me, I have emailed them to see what they say.
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear

Either I lucked out or I live in a dead zone for synth demand because I walked into a shop last week and walked out with a keyboard version. Then ordered a desktop version and it came 2 days later. (No flu like symptoms yet..)

I’m probably going to keep the desktop and return the keyboard for a variety of reasons.

PolyAT is great and very playable/tweakable on the KB, but for my intended uses (mostly live playing in a band) the extra per-finger expressiveness won’t really come across. The keybed itself is decent, but not my favourite. Pressed to full depth, most of the keys wiggle a bit and they look kind of uneven when looking straight on. Not the end of the world, I guess, and might just be my unit.

Pitch and mod wheels are fine, nothing outstanding. The ribbon is probably the biggest thing I would miss, but I just haven’t found great uses for it in my material that justify the price difference with the desktop version.

Also, they keyboard version is crazy heavy for its size. If it was 5-octaves it could be my master, but it’s too heavy for a secondary spot.

On the desktop version, the pads feel pretty good and I like the layout a bit better. I’m right handed and can use my left hand to switch modes and my right to turn knobs. Tiny detail. My complaint with this one is that the pad layout isn’t saveable per-patch or at all really. It resets to C/chromatic after a power cycle. I’m hoping this can be handled in a firmware update though.

Anyway, both are excellent products overall and if money was no object I’d keep both. And if they do release a Hydra Pro or a Rev 2 with 61 keys and two engines, I’m in.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear
Received my Hydrasynth KB two days ago. It's awesome, really REALLY good! Better than I thought it would be. However, I'm going to post a few small grumbles for a couple of reasons.

1) In case anyone from ASM ever reads this by any miracle of a random chance.
2) In case I'm being really dumb and haven't found the answer myself yet! If that's the case then please, educate me.

Volume output.

On most of the presets, it's pretty damm quiet. I have to hit AMP and turn them up a bit. Yes, my master volume is up full. Yes, my audio interface (Focusrite Clarett 4Pre) is set to 0dB on the line inputs. Yes, I've done the INIT patch test... set all OSC to full, AMP to full, master volume to full and it's outputting at -6dB which is perfectly normal..... it's just most of the preset patches are quiet.... not unsolvable, but irritating to hit AMP and turn it up on each patch.

I can't find a master output setting in the menus, y'know, to turn up everything a notch or two, a global setting? Maybe that's one of my feature requests for a future firmware update? Maybe with a -6dB limiter in tandem so it can't get distorted by accident‽ :-)

Bass/lower notes

Again, on most presets... the lower notes are really quiet, really really quiet. Why is that? Let's take A-006 Doppler Bass for one example, AMP is set to 40.9, it could go to 128 of course, that might be a tad excessive but I feel that 40.9 is silly quiet!

Also, on a pad patch, take A-048 BPM Ramp Pad for example. Play C1, hit it hard, ok it's there, but then play a chord from C3 up maybe... the C1 note gets pretty much drowned out. AMP is 52.8, so turn it up a bit to 80 or 90 say... nope, the lower notes still get drowned out so you can hardly hear them. It's there but... the power just isn't there. Any idea? Another firmware update request maybe? Warm mode helps a little, but not much.

Am I right or have I got it totally wrong do you think? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks all, be gentle..... first post here ;-)
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
@ DJTobes

If anything, the Hydra is a bit louder than most synths.
I've been turning AMP and OSC *down*, to gain stage away from distortion.

Are you using balanced TRS cables? Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTobes View Post
Received my Hydrasynth KB two days ago. It's awesome, really REALLY good! Better than I thought it would be. However, I'm going to post a few small grumbles for a couple of reasons.

1) In case anyone from ASM ever reads this by any miracle of a random chance.
2) In case I'm being really dumb and haven't found the answer myself yet! If that's the case then please, educate me.

Volume output.

On most of the presets, it's pretty damm quiet. I have to hit AMP and turn them up a bit. Yes, my master volume is up full. Yes, my audio interface (Focusrite Clarett 4Pre) is set to 0dB on the line inputs. Yes, I've done the INIT patch test... set all OSC to full, AMP to full, master volume to full and it's outputting at -6dB which is perfectly normal..... it's just most of the preset patches are quiet.... not unsolvable, but irritating to hit AMP and turn it up on each patch.

I can't find a master output setting in the menus, y'know, to turn up everything a notch or two, a global setting? Maybe that's one of my feature requests for a future firmware update? Maybe with a -6dB limiter in tandem so it can't get distorted by accident‽ :-)

Bass/lower notes

Again, on most presets... the lower notes are really quiet, really really quiet. Why is that? Let's take A-006 Doppler Bass for one example, AMP is set to 40.9, it could go to 128 of course, that might be a tad excessive but I feel that 40.9 is silly quiet!

Also, on a pad patch, take A-048 BPM Ramp Pad for example. Play C1, hit it hard, ok it's there, but then play a chord from C3 up maybe... the C1 note gets pretty much drowned out. AMP is 52.8, so turn it up a bit to 80 or 90 say... nope, the lower notes still get drowned out so you can hardly hear them. It's there but... the power just isn't there. Any idea? Another firmware update request maybe? Warm mode helps a little, but not much.

Am I right or have I got it totally wrong do you think? I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks all, be gentle..... first post here ;-)
Yeah, the volume is inconsistent on the presets. Different people with different setups have made these presets... No doubt, you're gonna have to tweak them to taste.

If you were to delve into the sound design of these patches, you'll see that most of them don't have much in the way of Amp keyboard tracking, and some don't make use of Filter keyboard tracking. Both of those settings, however, would help improve the dynamics of some patches, possibly.

Furthermore, some of this has to do with the effects and how they seem to reduce the volume unless they're at 100% or close to that. (I haven't checked this apparent volume reduction using software, and I could easily be wrong, but to my ears it sounds like they do, and my mixer's LEDs seem to agree with my ears.)

Reverbs, choruses, flangers... they all seem to have a slight volume reduction until you hit a certain point in the wet/dry mix, and then they perk up quite a bit in volume. The EQ, Compressor and Lo-Fi effects all have significant volume gain/reduction potential by the way, so if those effects are in use, it's a good place to look for volume culprits. It is super easy to get into clipping territory, so I think that's why the amp volume is turned down so low on some patches, so as to allow the effects to do their thing at max without clipping, but also because many patches use the poly AT to increase the amp level on a per note basis.

Also, what I hear coming out of my monitors versus my headphones are completely different things most of the time. I don't have a sub, and I'm playing in the middle of a very large basement, so I hear a lot less of the bass frequencies at any significant volume out of my monitors. But in my closed headphones, I do hear those bassy tones just fine, often too much bass that muddies up my patch's sound. (I really need to get a sub, I keep telling myself.)

Warm mode will definitely add a few dB to volume. But sometimes it's way too much... In fact, I've completely gone off of using warm mode at all in favor of tweaking the filters and effects (if used) to get the sound I'm aiming for. Warm mode is nice sometimes for a boost though, and it's definitely welcome for certain analog type patches.

Anyway, don't judge this synth by its presets. Many are very well done, and others are just okay. Do download and explore the Inhalt bank however, as a most of those patches have a really good volume balance on them compared to the presets, which is because Matia's patches are all done by himself with his setup alone, not a bunch of different people making patches on different audio setups. That is not knocking other people's work in the slightest... just pointing out consistency in sound and bass levels...
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Another request for the developers please. The Random button seems to be set at 100% and results in some pretty extreme results. Would love to find a setting in the systems setup menu 1, the number of parameters randomised, 2, the % of the randomisation. Would be nice if we could all start sharing patches as well.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Another request for the developers please. The Random button seems to be set at 100% and results in some pretty extreme results. Would love to find a setting in the systems setup menu 1, the number of parameters randomised, 2, the % of the randomisation. Would be nice if we could all start sharing patches as well.
I don't quite get how the randomisation could be lover? Random is random, no? I get the thing about the amount of parameters being randomised, but the % I don't get.

Also, what do you mean by sharing patches? I could send you patches right now, if I wanted to.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear
Thank you all for your replies, all food for thought.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear
Patch file format

I studied the patch file structure and data a bit and found some interesting details:
  • The WaveScan knob, ranging from 1.0 to 8.0 to the outside, internally is scaled in 1024 steps. This means that even if you see the same WaveScan value in the display, there may be tiny differences internally
  • Additionally, as 16 bits are used to store the WaveScan value, there is plenty of headroom for longer wavelists...
  • The wavelist entries are 16 bits each as well, so in theory up to 65535 waves could be addressed - compared to the 219 (plus OFF plus Silence) currently available
  • Trivia: wavelist entries are held in the patch file even if one switched back to Single mode
  • Keytracking value is stored binary, so the limit at 200% is somewhat arbitrary - could go to 255 in theory. I wonder why they did not provide +128/-127%? Would be interesting to have negative keytracking.
    I believe the value is 16 bits long again, but as the value is limited I could not prove it.
Old 16th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashp View Post
I don't quite get how the randomisation could be lover? Random is random, no? I get the thing about the amount of parameters being randomised, but the % I don't get.

Also, what do you mean by sharing patches? I could send you patches right now, if I wanted to.
In effect, suppose you had a bell patch, and you wanted to alter it , you could manually do that, or randomise it , but as its set up now, everything is randomised 100%. Result: no bell patch, maybe industrial noise or messy unusable sounds but no bell. I have a Virus TI2 desktop, it's randomisation feature is set up exactly as I originally described , 1,how many parameters i.e envelopes, osc, lfo etc, 2, % randomisation, Set both figures low, result, slightly altered bell. Also the Peak standalone editor randomise setting is very usefull. Oh btw, I love getting to grips with synths and making patches, but I think a good randomise feature helps a lot.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

i was under the impression that you could randomize different sections, like holding randomize and pushing mutant. that sort of thing. i'll have to look at it later.

in terms of the tracking, i think that, since 100 is the default, you have the ability to have ± 100 (0 or 200).
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
In effect, suppose you had a bell patch, and you wanted to alter it , you could manually do that, or randomise it , but as its set up now, everything is randomised 100%. Result: no bell patch, maybe industrial noise or messy unusable sounds but no bell. I have a Virus TI2 desktop, it's randomisation feature is set up exactly as I originally described , 1,how many parameters i.e envelopes, osc, lfo etc, 2, % randomisation, Set both figures low, result, slightly altered bell. Also the Peak standalone editor randomise setting is very usefull. Oh btw, I love getting to grips with synths and making patches, but I think a good randomise feature helps a lot.
check out page 20 in the manual. it tells you how to randomize only certain modules (e.g., you can randomize only mutator 1, or osc 1, etc.)
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Head

Randomizing individual mutators, oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc., works great. But what if you want to randomize several modules or parameters simultaneously while leaving certain others untouched? For example, if I randomize an entire patch at once, I always would prefer to avoid randomizing the oscillator pitch key tracking -- just leave it at 100% -- but I do want to randomize the oscillator waveforms and modes. I also might want to avoid randomizing the noise level, so those are two parameters I would like to exclude from randomization, generally speaking. Certainly I could add in many more. And going through all of the modules individually instead of two fast presses of the random button is a little time consuming to randomize everything else. So I completely get what Drac is asking for here. It's been on my personal wish list as well, but it's at the very bottom of my list.

I can't see any good way of implementing something like this in the keyboard itself without adding tons of extra things to the system setup screens, unless someone can create and program multiple matrices to include/exclude modules and parameters, or to limit the value ranges of other modules parameters, and we could then select a matrix we want from system setup. But I can see this being done in a software editor much more easily, with or without matrices, so I hope someone creates an editor some day. Having a little more control of the randomization would potentially create more traditionally playable patches.

As it stands now, the randomization is fantastic for strange and wonderful sound effects, and sometimes those are super loud, but I have yet to get anything "playable" by randomizing an entire patch. Still fun to do now and then though.

Edit: I just was having a play with randomizing entire patches, and I noticed that amp level is never randomized. It will stay at whatever level you had it at before randomizing. That's interesting.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaRift View Post
Randomizing individual mutators, oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc., works great. But what if you want to randomize several modules or parameters simultaneously while leaving certain others untouched? For example, if I randomize an entire patch at once, I always would prefer to avoid randomizing the oscillator pitch key tracking -- just leave it at 100% -- but I do want to randomize the oscillator waveforms and modes. I also might want to avoid randomizing the noise level, so those are two parameters I would like to exclude from randomization, generally speaking. Certainly I could add in many more. And going through all of the modules individually instead of two fast presses of the random button is a little time consuming to randomize everything else. So I completely get what Drac is asking for here. It's been on my personal wish list as well, but it's at the very bottom of my list.

I can't see any good way of implementing something like this in the keyboard itself without adding tons of extra things to the system setup screens, unless someone can create and program multiple matrices to include/exclude modules and parameters, or to limit the value ranges of other modules parameters, and we could then select a matrix we want from system setup. But I can see this being done in a software editor much more easily, with or without matrices, so I hope someone creates an editor some day. Having a little more control of the randomization would potentially create more traditionally playable patches.

As it stands now, the randomization is fantastic for strange and wonderful sound effects, and sometimes those are super loud, but I have yet to get anything "playable" by randomizing an entire patch. Still fun to do now and then though.

Edit: I just was having a play with randomizing entire patches, and I noticed that amp level is never randomized. It will stay at whatever level you had it at before randomizing. That's interesting.
You wouldn’t (nor your monitors or cat), want the amp level randomized unless you like possibly seeing woofers/tweeters blown or worse, your ears.

Makes sense.

I get plenty of ambient patches from randomized parameters but I do odd very well. What I’ve done going back to older Waldorf synths I’ve owned, I further tweak an interesting randomization creation and more often than not, utilize the random functionality to create a new starting point I likely wouldn’t have thought that way otherwise.
Happy accidents galore in hydra’s bowels.

I use bread and butter sounds for toilet paper

Also, be it perhaps cliche, but the hydrasynth Printed user manual is incredibly well-written and it’s only 20 or so pages in it goes into how to tweak randomization as it operates *right now*, out of the cardboard box packed with love and stickers.

Last edited by namnibor; 16th February 2020 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: RTFM
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Sometimes when I randomise fully, (two button presses), again because its a set 100%, the resulting volume is through the roof. Painfully loud. It should't happen, but it does.. just requesting more control over randomisation options in setup menu, nothing else.
Old 19th February 2020
Here for the gear
Hi, Why are there so few recent Hydrasynth posts on the web? Are there just so few Hydrasynth keyboards out in the public at this point or are the Hydrasynth owners just super quiet? (sort of like the silent forums regarding John Bowen Solaris synths)
I am just wondering why so much radio silent about the Hydra.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

So this is a question about aftertouch from an external controller and the mod matrix, maybe someone can help me out?

In the system setting we have various settings for controlling aftertouch but this only seems to effect the actual Hydrasynth hardware, not from external midi.

So I'm looking for how to map aftertouch (or any other mod source) via a curve, from exponential through linear to logarithmic. I can't see any way of doing this in the mod matrix, even when using two mod slots. Is there a trick to this or is it just not possible?
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
So this is a question about aftertouch from an external controller and the mod matrix, maybe someone can help me out?

In the system setting we have various settings for controlling aftertouch but this only seems to effect the actual Hydrasynth hardware, not from external midi.

So I'm looking for how to map aftertouch (or any other mod source) via a curve, from exponential through linear to logarithmic. I can't see any way of doing this in the mod matrix, even when using two mod slots. Is there a trick to this or is it just not possible?
I’m in same boat, using Digitone keys and I’m at whits end, not really, desktop pads are great but it’s vastly different from an external controller. I’m thinking it’s my daft brain in overlooking obvious....following.

I couldn’t find such an animal in Digitone keys external set up either.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

perhaps i’m missing what you’re asking…

if a device doesn’t *send* polyphonic aftertouch, there’s no way a hydrasynth can receive it.
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinBeeker View Post
I studied the patch file structure and data a bit and found some interesting details:
  • The WaveScan knob, ranging from 1.0 to 8.0 to the outside, internally is scaled in 1024 steps. This means that even if you see the same WaveScan value in the display, there may be tiny differences internally
  • Additionally, as 16 bits are used to store the WaveScan value, there is plenty of headroom for longer wavelists...
  • The wavelist entries are 16 bits each as well, so in theory up to 65535 waves could be addressed - compared to the 219 (plus OFF plus Silence) currently available
  • Trivia: wavelist entries are held in the patch file even if one switched back to Single mode
  • Keytracking value is stored binary, so the limit at 200% is somewhat arbitrary - could go to 255 in theory. I wonder why they did not provide +128/-127%? Would be interesting to have negative keytracking.
    I believe the value is 16 bits long again, but as the value is limited I could not prove it.

You can do negative key tracking in the modulation matrix if you 0 the keytracking value on the oscillator.
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhubeatz View Post
You can do negative key tracking in the modulation matrix if you 0 the keytracking value on the oscillator.
can you describe that? i don’t remember seeing a key tracking option in the mod matrix. (maybe i just missed it?)
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steubig View Post
can you describe that? i don’t remember seeing a key tracking option in the mod matrix. (maybe i just missed it?)
You missed it, it's called Keytrack, right between aftertouch and velocity.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search