The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hydrasynth
Old 8th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashp View Post
Just wanted to thank you personally. I had a preorder from Thomann, which, in the start of the month, was pushed yet another 4 weeks up into the start of March. I've been waiting since December. Just got mine, and I am absolutely thrilled. So thanks, man. That was cool of you
I can confirm that..
I'm registered as a company at Thomann and unfortunately Gear4music won't allow me to buy without charging VAT, I would definitely get it from Gear4music but no more keyboards available, only desktops
Old 9th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Updated to 1.3.1 this weekend and noticed something like this. It did seem to be isolated to the LFO to Oscillator in a Mod matrix slot area. Didn't have a lot of time to try and reproduce, but it does happen.
This happens a lot to me. Can't tell when or why. Resetting stuff occasionally fixes it but it comes back. I returned one desktop partially because of this problem, and it happened on the next one.
Old 9th February 2020
Gear Nut

Anyone using Hydrasynth with Novation Launchpad Pro ? Better alternative ?

Anyone using Hydrasynth with Novation Launchpad Pro ? The price of the launchpad pro has dropped recently(new model on the way) and it looks like something I'd have fun with connected to the Hydrasynth and other devices especially since it supports polyphonic aftertouch as demonstrated in this video :

https://youtu.be/1UdpcYEUVss?t=992

I have a few questions for those of you who have one.

It appears they released a firmware update that allows you to use it as a stand alone midi controller and set the mode scale(intial release only supported chromatic). Is this true ? If so is the implementation of it effective ? I think the way the hydrasynth desktop does this is awesome but I could see where a klunky implementation of it would be useless for me.

For some reason I thought it could be used in stand alone mode as a sequencer but the more I read about it makes me believe it's not a sequencer at all. Please enlighten me on the stand alone sequencing capabilities(if any). All the videos I've seen look like they're using an external sequencer to record the sequence steps from the launchpad then playing back from external sequencer.

Addendum : I see a developer has come up with this :
https://cdm.link/2018/09/hack-a-laun...equencer-free/
Anyone used this ?

I guess the smart thing to do at this point would be to go with the newest launchpad pro MKIII which has a built in sequencer. Any other sequencers in this $300 price range I should be looking at ? Arturia keystep pro looks awesome with ALL that connectivity but the mini keys ruin it for me. Just looking for some stand alone hardware sequencer advice to control Hydrasynth, Drumbrute, Uno Synth, Microfreak.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
Anyone using Hydrasynth with Novation Launchpad Pro ?

[SNIP]

I guess the smart thing to do at this point would be to go with the newest launchpad pro MKIII which has a built in sequencer. Any other sequencers in this $300 price range I should be looking at ? Arturia keystep pro looks awesome with ALL that connectivity but the mini keys ruin it for me. Just looking for some stand alone hardware sequencer advice to control Hydrasynth, Drumbrute, Uno Synth, Microfreak.
I've got a LPPmk3 and it's my primary controller at the moment. As someone who's spent more time playing guitar than keyboards, the ability to set the pads in a fretboard layout is great (similar to Hydra's on-board pads). The pads are a bit larger than the Hydra's, and I like the feel of them a bit better. PolyAT works really well with both the Hydra and my Peak, really feels comfortable to play highly expressive lead lines with it.

The 4 sequencers have a lot of flexibility and are really simple to set up. Sequences can be up to 32 steps, but you can chain sequences to get longer sequences and each sequencer can have 8 sequence patterns stored in a program. You can control start and end steps for each sequence on the fly and it's really easy to switch / mute individual sequences on the fly. There's also some probability and note mutation functionality. Multiple keys/modes are available for the pads as well. While it would be a stretch to call it 'intuitive', the learning curve isn't bad at all, and once you get familiar with it, it's very easy to use. I was tempted by the keystep pro, but got this since it's both smaller and a better fit for me as a non-keyboard player.

Hope that helps!
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Nut

That really helps. Thank you very much for the above information and insight or using the two together. I really appreciate it. I might have to hit you up for some advice on configuration once I get one.

It's funny I never really knew what one of these was for outside of use for ableton. Then I stumbled across this video and it became a lot more interesting to me.

https://youtu.be/LgIUsjvRcE0?t=142

I really like the fact the new MKIII now has built in sequencer and 2 midi outs. I think it will be a nice new companion for my desktop hydrasynth amongst others.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

I love the features on this synth, but the demos with tonnes of reverb highlight the shortcomings in the reverb department. Not sure if I'd be able to use that.
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Nut

the reverb is not the best thing about the synth. it's pretty good, but not great. to me, it's outweighed by all its positives. but then i don't expect a $1,200 synth to have a better reverb than a stand-alone $500 reverb.
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steubig View Post
the reverb is not the best thing about the synth. it's pretty good, but not great. to me, it's outweighed by all its positives. but then i don't expect a $1,200 synth to have a better reverb than a stand-alone $500 reverb.
I run my hydra through a source audio ventris and eqd pyramids flanger device and just like MicroFreak, it sings the universe electric and wIth great reverb dare I say hydra sounds very analog at times and the digital frequencies come alive.

Love this synth.

Last edited by namnibor; 11th February 2020 at 10:41 AM..
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Nut

Issues with Syncing Hydrasynth to Drumbrute via MIDI DIN cable

OK, so I'm trying to sync the Hydasynth to Drumbrute via MIDI DIN cable. The issue I'm having is the Drumbrute is sending more than just tempo synch info because it's triggering notes on the Hydrasynth. Each drum note on Drumbrute triggers a corresponding note on the Hydra. I was initially going to sync them via CV clock out on Drumbrute patched into one of the CV inputs on Hydrasynth but Hydrasynth only supports CV clock in via USB and MIDI so I had to go the MIDI route.

I'm thinking part of this solution is to take the Hydrasynth out of OMNI mode and set it to a specific midi channel then somehow restrict the info trasmitted via MIDI by the Drumbrute to tempo only information ???

Am I on the right track here or is there an easier solution for this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
OK, so I'm trying to sync the Hydasynth to Drumbrute via MIDI DIN cable. The issue I'm having is the Drumbrute is sending more than just tempo synch info because it's triggering notes on the Hydrasynth. Each drum note on Drumbrute triggers a corresponding note on the Hydra. I was initially going to sync them via CV clock out on Drumbrute patched into one of the CV inputs on Hydrasynth but Hydrasynth only supports CV clock in via USB and MIDI so I had to go the MIDI route.

I'm thinking part of this solution is to take the Hydrasynth out of OMNI mode and set it to a specific midi channel then somehow restrict the info trasmitted via MIDI by the Drumbrute to tempo only information ???

Am I on the right track here or is there an easier solution for this.

Thanks in advance.
I have not yet synced my Drumbrute and Hydrasynth desktop because I’m redoing my effects pedals at moment as well as painting my apartment, while juggling health issues.

However, in my reading of Drumbrute full manual as well as Arturia Midi control center program info, I’m only guessing all that can be configured in there as well, I could be wrong but I’d look there.

(I’m also about to finally upgrade from windows 7 to 10 on systems so this should be fun. Screams from Great Lakes very well could be me or, the screaming eels)
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

Drumbrute manual pages 70 & 71 shows some appropriate config options that can be changed via Midi Control Center:

8.10.2.7. Pads send MIDI notes
You can choose whether the pads will send MIDI note data or not. The available options are Off (no MIDI note data sent), USB&MIDI, USB and MIDI. The actual note values they will send are determined by the Drum Map. See section [p.73] to learn about this.

8.10.2.8. Sequencer sends MIDI notes
You can choose whether the sequencer will send MIDI note data or not. The available options are Off (no MIDI note data sent), USB&MIDI, USB and MIDI. The actual note values they will send are determined by the Drum Map. See section [p.73] to learn about this.

Switch those off (or to a different port) as appropriate and you wont have to do anything with midi channels on the drumbrute or hydrasynth in order to avoid the note triggering.
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear

good demo here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLomWXOZywA

no harsh tone.
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Wow this new demo is also awesome. Haven't heard anything from the Modal Argon competing so far.
Real mojo going on. Oscillators seem to be aliasing free, or am I wrong? Also, the low price (about 50%) of the Argon makes it a bit suspicious.

Thomann says 3-4 weeks.
But in a week Thomann will say: 3-4 weeks
But in the following week T will say: 3-4 weeks.
Like if whole Germany is blocked for this synth. Annoying as ****
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Hows the honeymoon phase going guys? Still loving it?

Anyone else buy the rack and keyboard for 8x8 setup?
Old 12th February 2020
Gear Nut

i like it a lot and find new stuff that excites me.

i have the 8+8.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Head

Stock seems to have finally hit the UK. Places like KMR/GuitarGuitar etc showing stock of both keyboard and module.
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Yep Andertons is due tomorrow too which they have confirmed to me
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Shipping in the UK

Hi, got confirmation my Hydrasynth desktop, pre ordered from PMT UK, will be delivered tomorrow 14 Feb. Stormy weekend means loads of time to get to grips with it. Cheers! ( Anyone done an unboxing video wearing a hazmat suit?)
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post

Not over the honeymoon phase yet, but just wanted to give a little feedback none the less. I've mainly tinkered around with the traditional waves (saw, triangle, square etc.) up until now, and those alone - combined with the endless routing possibilities - offer an extensive arrangement of sounds. As for analogue sounds, I don't really find it difficult at all to dial in some warm sounds. With a bit of work in the 'voice'-section, and a bit of LFO-work on the oscillators, everything becomes very much alive and drifty.

As for metallic sounds; yes they are quite easy to dial in, but they are also quite easy to avoid. I can see how someone, who is used to hardware synths, might be a bit overwhelmed by how easy it is to steer into harsher sounds, but to me this seems like a natural extension of the realm of sonic possiblities a regular VST offer (I'm fairly new to hardware synths and have mainly toyed around with VSTs for the last six years). So to me at least, the fact that they've given the user such a big range of sonic possibilities is really cool, and I don't really feel restricted at all; and this is a theme that often pops up, when going from a DAW with, say, 15 software synths that you use, to a DAWless setup with one or two hardware synths.

As for usability, its so ****ing easy to use. Now this following sentiment is sort of the heart of the 'unique selling point' when I pulled the trigger and ordered one: it offers more modulation than most VSTs but the workflow is way faster. To me this signals a paradigmeshift wherein I can get the endless possibilities of the digital without suffering in the sonic department, and whilst also getting a faster workflow (for you this of course might differ, I'm just stating my case as I came from mostly Ableton and VSTs).

So yeah, things are holding up and I am very much satisfied. I'm very curious as to what the future might bring for ASM. Everything seems very thought out. The build quality is nice, the price is very nice (I've got the desktop version), the manual is very well-written, and the flow of updates and feedback from the developers (keeping us in the loop) seems decent. Actually, the only thing that I really dislike about ASM is their choice of distributors here in the EU.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Hi, got confirmation my Hydrasynth desktop, pre ordered from PMT UK, will be delivered tomorrow 14 Feb. Stormy weekend means loads of time to get to grips with it. Cheers! ( Anyone done an unboxing video wearing a hazmat suit?)
Mines coming Saturday as well
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

I have had mine (keyboard version) for a week now. I would agree with others that the UI is very well designed and a pleasure to use. But the biggest thing for me is the expressiveness. This is my first poly-AT keyboard. In the past I have always discarded (mono)AT as a tool. It always seemed to me to be poorly implemented (e.g. very stiff 'i-have-to-lean-on-the-keyboard' keybeds) and the effect was easy to get tired of being global to all notes being played. Somewhat like a wah-wah pedal for guitar.

The HydraSynth poly-AT is a revelation. Not only does it work very well; I find expressing parts of chords quite natural, and it sounds wonderful. Some of the factory patches are real 'get-lost-in-the-patch' experiences

I find the reverb much better than the one on the Argon8.

Minus points? Well, TBH the styling is utilitarian. It's not the sleekest looking box in the shop.

FT

Last edited by FlameTop; 14th February 2020 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post

I have the keys version and to be honest, recently I mostly forget it has on-board synthesis capabilities.
Using it as a polyAT/MPE controller driving some Black Corp gear has been so much fun.

I had the Linnstrument and Roli Rise and I never really connected with either of them. It's nice to have a traditional style keyboard (with ribbon and wheels and an arpeggiator that sends out MIDI) that doesn't need to be hooked to a computer for configuration.

When I have actually pushed up the Hydrasynth slider on my mixer it's been fun and easy to come up with interesting sounds. I like the wave selection and morphing cabilities of the oscillators much more than the P-12 (for example), and so far I've found the Hydrasynth's filter offerings to be serviceable; neither love nor hate them. Formant filter sound and possibilities seem initially better in the Modor NF-1, but I haven't done deep editing of it in the ASM yet.

There are a lot of nice little tricks and shortcuts that you learn when doing edits that makes setting up mod routes and such quicker and overall, it's a great UI for people that like to create patches.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Another bug that I don't know where best to report...

I've had this synth for a few months and today I just discovered the "Length" parameter in the Arp settings. (I know! Total arp noob! Right?) Length is not available via the knobs on the keyboard, and you have to go into the arp menu [Shift + Arp ON] to see and edit it. Desktop users probably do this more often as there are fewer knobs for the arpeggiator on that version. While this is cool for any arp mode, it proved particular useful for Phrase mode. Some of the phrases at full length don't appeal, but being able to limit those to only a few notes made those a lot better for me as I cycled through them.

Anyway, I thought I'd create a patch with a few macros to adjust the Mode type, Length and Phrase settings, and I found another bug perhaps. [I'm on the latest OS for the keyboard.]

If I make macros for any of these alone, they work fine. But if I have separate macros for both Mode and Phrase, then the Phrase macro doesn't work any more. It stays on the originally selected phrase. I can still switch to different arp Modes, but I can't change the phrase patterns via a macro or by going into the arp settings screen while Phrase mode is active. In order to change the Phrase, I have to set the Mode to anything but Phrase, then go into the arp settings screen and manually change the phrase there, then back to the home screen and change the Mode macro back to Phrase mode to hear the new phrase. By the way, length works fine and doesn't affect the Phrase macro when it's only those two assigned as macros. It's just Mode and Phrase together and assigned to their own macro knob that is problematic it seems.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
I'm not taking any chances!

Activ8

Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
medical sites say flu viruses can live only a maximum of 24 hours on hard surfaces. It takes a much longer time to ship these things around the world. It is really nothing to get concerned about it seems.
Actually Sars, another type of corona virus and a whole let more deadly was tested and found it was possible to be present on metal and plastic surfaces for up to 28 days. It would only be an issue via hand contact with mouth, nose and eyes, so if you rubbed your hand on it and put it up to your mouth, high chance you would be infected or if you love your synth so much that you kiss it, your fcuked too. However fluctuation in temperatures during shipping may kill it anyway. Covid 19 life of virus is still not known and won't be for a while.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirix View Post
Actually Sars, another type of corona virus and a whole let more deadly was tested and found it was possible to be present on metal and plastic surfaces for up to 28 days. It would only be an issue via hand contact with mouth, nose and eyes, so if you rubbed your hand on it and put it up to your mouth, high chance you would be infected or if you love your synth so much that you kiss it, your fcuked too. However fluctuation in temperatures during shipping may kill it anyway. Covid 19 life of virus is still not known and won't be for a while.
I think you should provide links to your research before spreading bulls4!t that heavy and far. Recent research from the Journal of Hospital Infection combines 22 separate studies of coronaviruses, and suggests a maximum of 9 days for nCov19, and a much lower threshold for SARS:

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Nut
So the conclusion is that Hydrasynth is not a Virus killer, but rather... I can't figure this out.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

So how long does it take a hydrasynth to travel from china to the uk?
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio View Post
So the conclusion is that Hydrasynth is not a Virus killer, but rather... I can't figure this out.
Good one!
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio View Post

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search