The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
where are free VSTi at now?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

where are free VSTi at now?

not hardware of course (as per forum focus), but where's it at with free VSTi at the moment? just had a look over at KVR:
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/win...newest/start20

lots of goodies, and xoxos seems to be active again (in 32bit - probably still using SE v1.017) - seems to be a mix of 32bit (ok for me), 64bit, and VST3.

i quite miss downloading everything i could

anything outstanding/standout? i haven't time to try all of these ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Free vsti's are always good for a quick thrill if you're low on cash.

Two negatives though - they can be a time suck, and you can end up with a computer loaded to the gills with stuff you don't use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Synth1 and Dexed are still probably the best out there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
not hardware of course (as per forum focus), but where's it at with free VSTi at the moment?
Most of the absolute top of the free VSTi category are not very new.
Xhip, Synth1, PG-8X, SQ8L, OBXD, Tyrell N6, DEXED, Kx-Synth-X16, Drumatic 3, Sforzando.

I really need to check Surge and Atlantis.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

hear ya on the top synths.

i like the occasional unique quirky ones that pop up.
i agree it's hard to sift through to find the good'uns. you have to stay on top of it. at the beginning i tried categorizing, but gave up eventually. had/have entire download folders of stuff i've never tried.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think KVR still does their annual developer challenge for synths and effects... sifting through those lists usually finds something interesting.

Otherwise, the ones already mentioned.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

So, call me stupid but -- how can one of these be used? I downloaded the PG-8x -- fine, but what do i need to use it?

The website itself simply assumes I already know, so hence me asking here.

Obviously I have no ITB experience
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

a VST host :p

if it's a DAW, you put the dll file in the VST plugins folder.
or there are free mini hosts - like MiniHost - that just run a single plugin and give you a midi input.

(was this a serious question?)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
a VST host :p

if it's a DAW, you put the dll file in the VST plugins folder.
or there are free mini hosts - like MiniHost - that just run a single plugin and give you a midi input.

(was this a serious question?)
Why so snarky? He said he has no ITB experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
So, call me stupid but -- how can one of these be used? I downloaded the PG-8x -- fine, but what do i need to use it?

The website itself simply assumes I already know, so hence me asking here.

Obviously I have no ITB experience
Which DAW are you using? I’ll give you a heads up that PG-8X doesn’t have AU support, so you won’t be able to have it run in Logic/Garageband. There may be a workaround at this point, but a quick google search shows that there still aren’t any solutions (even with a wrap file).

It’ll run in Reaper or Reason just fine tho.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Which DAW are you using?
Well, *NO* DAW of course, since I had no idea what was needed But I did suspect the answer would be something like that, I just had no idea of the particulars. I don't even remember what brought me to the PG-8x page in the first place; somebody must have recommended it.

So thanks for the clear distinction on Logic vs Reason. I'm assuming that Ableton and Pro Tools are also good candidates. I do realize I'm asking entry-level questions, so I'm not surprised (or offended) at whatever17 wondering if I was serious -- I just wasn't able to find my answers online. If I understand whatever17's response, it sounds like I could meanwhile look into MiniHost, and use that as long as I have a MIDI controller? Really I just wanted to see what this PG-8x could do, hear what it sounds like.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I understand whatever17's response, it sounds like I could meanwhile look into MiniHost, and use that as long as I have a MIDI controller? Really I just wanted to see what this PG-8x could do, hear what it sounds like.
Yes, you can use the free Minihost or even Savihost.
Or REAPER free for 30 days and then it will still work but if you are a nice person - you will buy it.

And don't take it hard, i am totally NOT surprised that people are surprised that someone on GS doesn't know how to use a VST plugin.

Usually if someone is 100% OTB, it still means that he tried ITB at least once to form an opinion about it before making the choice to not use it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why so snarky? He said he has no ITB experience.
i'm never snarky. don't be so delicate. :p

i'm pleased he took it as intended, eg: not serious (on my part)
20 yrs into VST, it's very rare that someone has never dipped into it.
doesn't take anything away from knowing one's s*** on hardware.

was pretty tired when i posted, tbh, up all night.

Last edited by whatever17; 1 week ago at 06:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, *NO* DAW of course, since I had no idea what was needed
if you want to have immediate fun, and immediate 'in' with VST, get hold of Orion by Synapse Audio. thing is, it's 32-bit, and i don't even know if they sell it anymore. not expensive though, and they might still sell you a copy.
(as you are referring to a 32-bit VSTi)

coming from hardware, it's a nice place to start. it has onboard sound generators, but it's super-easy and quick, pattern/song based, and a bit like a DIY Rebirth with any instrument you can get hold of, or a Reason where you don't have to scroll up and down a virtual rack endlessly with wobbly cables at the back.
(correct synopsis? or what..)

it's all based on a mixing desk visual, and it's strength is that you open up instruments and fx really easily, no visual clutter. it's a bit cut-down and less sophisticated than the topline DAWs, but it's no-brainer software, and ideal for checking (and chucking) plugins.

so forget the standalone minihosts and savihost that are purely 'a host', a way to make real and audition that VSTi: Orion is a bit like coming home from the 2nd hand shop with your new acquisition, and plugging it into your mixer and atari.

the sampler instrument is good too. it doesn't sample per se, but has a really good browsing system, and enough to mess around with, and chop up a bit of sample stuff. amazing DAW. total scandal that Synapse has abandoned it in order to focus on releasing more VSTi.

so that's my view on VSTi, after checking out other DAWS that made me feel anxious.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I do wonder whether 32-bit will work on a 64-bit Windows OS.

I see my learning curve is still considerable ... and outside this thread's purpose. Perhaps I should be working my Sweetwater sales rep instead ...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've gone back to hardware, but if I were going to be using VSTi's then I'd go to FL Studio rather than Reaper. I had a free version of Orion on a music mag cd years ago, forgot to grab a backup, friend I loaned cd to lost it grr, shame it faded away.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I do wonder whether 32-bit will work on a 64-bit Windows OS.

I see my learning curve is still considerable ... and outside this thread's purpose. Perhaps I should be working my Sweetwater sales rep instead ...
yeah it will. you can run 32bit applications on a 64bit system - look, you have 2 folders: programs, and programs x86.

it's just that you can only have 32bit plugins on a 32bit DAW, and -i think- 64bit ones on a 64bit DAW.

another tip, for useful plugin management: don't have VST plugin folders all over the place - each DAW will want to create one.

make a 'VST' folder somewhere useful, and put inside it a folder called 'VST Instruments', and another called 'VST fx' (or similar). this makes it easier to clean up your folders when you remove stuff. you don't have instruments mixed in with fx that way, much easier. i also tend to try to get the *.dll file for the plugin inside its own folder, so it keeps all its files together.

oh yeah, the location of this 'VST' directory: don't have it inside your Programs folder because you'll have to change permissions, and plugins often can't unpack files they need that are generated at first run - eg: synthedit plugins (which lots of people on here/KVR/etc will say are crap and all the same, but don't take any notice of that. obviously, coded plugins are generally more efficient and slicker - they are not all without their own problems sometimes, and synthedit allowed people to try unusual stuff)

in Orion, these subfolders create separate menu branches, which can be useful. i was keeping 'test' folders by month, of things i was trying out, and a 'classics' folder for favourite substitutes for hardware. reduces the chaos, and allows you to chuck loads of junk on, and sort stuff later. just chuck a new file in your current 'month' folder, start your DAW, check out what it's like, then keep or delete. nice and easy. having to go into your Programs folder requires more steps. easier to back-up that way, too.

now you know everything
(welll... some further discussion required re: VST 2.4 and VST3 plugins, the new standard)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

^plugins made with 32bit synth edit won't work on 64bit systems.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
They work beautifully in REAPER though.
Every proper host should have a wrapper for that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
they will if you have a 32bit host. i mean, they do here, even if i haven't been using them much lately (since i moved to a 64bit windows).

blablabla main benefit of 64bit is being able to access more sample RAM blabla
(unless some update on that, but afaik same sort of performance capability)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
cyclone, dexed, sq-8L, PG-8X and you've got the hot sounds of 1988 covered for free.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
cyclone, dexed, sq-8L, PG-8X and you've got the hot sounds of 1988 covered for free.
Cyclone: is that Sonic Charge? are all their old plugins free now?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Which DAW are you using? I’ll give you a heads up that PG-8X doesn’t have AU support, so you won’t be able to have it run in Logic/Garageband. There may be a workaround at this point, but a quick google search shows that there still aren’t any solutions (even with a wrap file).

It’ll run in Reaper or Reason just fine tho.
Image Line MiniHost Modular will host VSTs as an AU. It's a bit dodgy, but free. I wouldn't recommend it for the beginner though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Must have's in your folder

-DAT sounds obx ( now under the disco dsp monniker )
https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/
-pg8x ( roland jx8p emu )
https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/
-dexed dx7
-u-he tyrell

I would also add sq8l , but that one is 32 bit only
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not entirely true. If you’re running a 32 bit DAW on a 64 bit system, you’ll be fine. If you’re running a 64 bit DAW on a 64 bit system, there are things like jBridge that will allow you to use them. Bitwig has a 32-64 bit bridge built in. My main audio looper is 32 bits (Möbius, based on the Oberheim/Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro) and will probably never be updated to 64 bits, and it works perfectly in my 64 bit Bitwig.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search