The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
"Loop remix" function on Yamaha sequencers - any tips?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Loop remix" function on Yamaha sequencers - any tips?

I've been trying to see if the loop remix function can come up with anything useful, but so far the results have been very mixed (loop remix is found in for instance the Yamaha RS7000 and the Motif series).

Any tips on how to get more out of it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I used to use it on my a4000 for re-editing drum breaks. I've never had anything useful out of it on any other type of source.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It works on the midi data , so basslines melodies & chords can all be remixed for variations or external inspiration .
It seems to use more musical algorithmns than many other randomise buttons , similar to the Groove page it seems to work on 16th steps so 3 16th triplet will be moved together I think .
I use in conjunction with Groove page & midi delay* & will often turn on RS7000 just to use this function for ‘inspiration’ even when working in the box .

edit * all the midi playfx really , as they work in realtime on the remix phrase ...so beatstretch is also v useful

If you had the time you could set a different e.g ascending note to each step to see how each algo works . I did this ages ago to see if any of the Reverse algos actually reversed the whole phrase but the closest I found was REV 16 / 16 which plays step 1 normally then reverses from 16 down .

Last edited by subhertz; 4 weeks ago at 02:49 PM.. Reason: afterthought
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
It works on the midi data , so basslines melodies & chords can all be remixed for variations or external inspiration .
It seems to use more musical algorithmns than many other randomise buttons , similar to the Groove page it seems to work on 16th steps so 3 16th triplet will be moved together I think .
I use in conjunction with Groove page & midi delay* & will often turn on RS7000 just to use this function for ‘inspiration’ even when working in the box .

edit * all the midi playfx really , as they work in realtime on the remix phrase ...so beatstretch is also v useful

If you had the time you could set a different e.g ascending note to each step to see how each algo works . I did this ages ago to see if any of the Reverse algos actually reversed the whole phrase but the closest I found was REV 16 / 16 which plays step 1 normally then reverses from 16 down .
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna play some more with it to see if it is worth the time I noticed you can set interval on the MOXF when using loop remix. That is missing in the RS7000, and could be quite handy it seems.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search