The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
When are you too OLD to buy another synthesizer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When are you too OLD to buy another synthesizer?

Clock's ticking, I don't know if I will get 5 or 10 years out a new synthesizer. When are you too old to buy another synth?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
So long as you know where all of your synths are going to go post-life, you're never too old, so long as you can afford it.

Any of us can drop at any minute. Enjoy all of the toys and gifts in life. Musical instruments, especially.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Synths happen to be good companions as you get older

I think of synths as the “Thai chi” of keyboards

Manu king fu masters of harder styles *also* learned Thai chi for later in life

It’s good when the dexterity slows

That’s how I think of sound design and synths

You can still compose and produce when you get a little slower and can’t sit at the piano shredding for hours
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

"When are you too old to buy another synthesizer?"

Can your fingers still move?

If so, proceed to shop.
Old 4 weeks ago
In 8 years I'll be a senior...I dont even speak Spanish.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I would say age 90. The fingers and ears don't work well at that point.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I look at it a different way.

I "purchase" synths, but I take care of them and in many cases, I repair and restore them ....

At that point, they will outlive me.

I consider that I am in reality "renting" or the "caretaker" for the synth for a "few years" ....

Eventually they will end up in someone else's hands ... someday.

I don't care how far in the future it is, there will always be someone out there that will appreciate a Rhodes Chroma or a Memorymoog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I look at things this way; I *may* have another 10-20 years in spite of serious chronic health issues I unfortunately live with or tomorrow a grand piano may fall out of a plane upon me bugs bunny style, either way, and however my demise may be, one thing is for certain: I will have at least one package yet-to-be delivered by Sweetwater.

Point is, age is just a thing unless you make it a thang.

Oh, and get off my lawn!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When dead.
Any other construct is weak and lame and very very wrong.
Whatcha gon do - play bingo and watch reruns?
F that. I be making bangin techno til the clock runs out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

From then on, playing anything but a piano accordion will be viewed by others as a joke.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No worries, Gearslutz heaven awaits.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

never.

if i was too old, i'd still play industrial using only real tools & objects, as used to do when i was a student

i'd probably even finish the build of a „drumset“ made of scrap metal and pickups
Old 4 weeks ago
54 here, and not an accordion in sight - a nice Hohner Organa 30 reed organ, though...

In the last years I have noticed a tendency (regarding myself) to sell lots of synths and keep only my favourites. I'm aiming for a (relatively) slimlined, high-quality, easily-accessible and preferrably final setup.
Among the synths I sold were many that I had purchased not too long ago, and among the final ones were synths I have had for 20-30 years (with some exceptions).
Oh, and I have now a strong tendency of liking the very simple synths - you wouldn't believe how much fun and how much music I'm squeezing out of my Timbre Wolf (whereas flagships like The River or C15 are merely used for some hours of joyful noodling)!

Maybe all that is a sign of coming of age, I don't know. Maybe just a sign of finally growing up...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

the answer yet again is 42.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

ha ha, are you kidding?? I'm just *starting* my synth fetish because my fingers were getting too old to play guitar the way I wanted to. If I thought i only had a few years left, I'd just record faster.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As you get older, you realise life isn't the endless rock n roll ride that you enjoy in your 20's. Yeah yeah, one day i'll be old...like in 300 years time etc etc

then at about 50 you begin to think, sh*t, clocks ticking, I better actually read these manuals on the ones I already have and get a song finished!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
54 here
Quote:
you wouldn't believe how much fun and how much music I'm squeezing out of my Timbre Wolf
Someone remind me to beware of this Timbre Wolf senility thing that may kick in, in another decade or two.. cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
this Timbre Wolf senility thing
That's probably exactly it.

Just you wait as I go back to my Stylophone roots, Benjamin-Button-style...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Sell everything you own, get all of your savings, get your retirement money, get all of your credit cards, get loans... then build a massive studio complex in a forest with lots of security, in a state that has legalised cannabis.

Part of the complex has a sauna, spa, indoor heated pool. Then it has an indoor gym. Then one big room has a pool table, a poker table, a bar, a home cinema with 7.1 surround, fully stocked fridges, table tennis and a video game area.

Hire a chef and other support staff.

Then build a music ideas room, a large studio space, a synth room, a mixing and a mastering room.

Fill it with all of the gear you have ever wanted.

Invite everyone on gearslutz to come and work on the finest album in history.

Make that your ultimate swan song, because my dear gearslut Comrade, life is not a rehearsal and you only get a tiny slice of time on this great earth.

Make it count.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As long as your stools are firm, of pleasing diameter, and willingly slide like otters from a riverbank, all else with the world is comparatively tolerable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When you have to ask it's time to pack it in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
As I say to my mum who is mid 80's," Spend your money on yourself, doing what you want to do"

Things are different if your have people relying on you mind but I dont understand the older mindset of leaving a healthy sum in your inheritance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

too old to synthesize !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
54 here
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My first instrument was Accordion.
I don't know if I can ever do a 4:4 song because of it!
Lady of Venice anyone?
It has now been 44 years since I quit at Grade 2B.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
As long as your stools are firm, of pleasing diameter, and willingly slide like otters from a riverbank, all else with the world is comparatively tolerable.
lol FMD that's very random..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If I don't die with at least one synth left to pay on a Sweetwater 0% deal, I will feel that I had failed at the game of life.
Old 4 weeks ago
As someone seriously who thinks synths, compressors, and most effects stopped being interesting in 1979, I see myself getting a handful more things I don't have like a VCS3, a few more obscure effects, and calling it day.

Next step, a huge grand piano with all my synths for rhythm. That's my plan until I'm 100.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Synths are for kids, so I would have to say 14. Real adults don't play synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Serious answer:
When your ears naturally get bad enough to not appreciate the difference in sound anymore.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search