The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Alesis QS6 display replacement
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Alesis QS6 display replacement

i recently found a very cheap Alesis QS-6 with just a faulty display, and the seller does not want to fix it, just get rid of it.
Before i buy it, i searched all over the web for information about replacing the LCD of the QS6 with a standard 16X2 display, and what i've found out is that it is a cheap task BUT rather tricky, because the Alesis part uses it own pinout...
The best info i found was this
https://www.midiworld.com/quadrasynt...es13/8316.html
and this :
https://www.midiworld.com/quadrasynt...es14/9367.html
I guess pins swapping needs to be done. I read the QS6 schematics (actually it is from the QS6.1 so it might not be the correct one), but i can't really understand it clearly (yamaha service manuals are more simple to read, IMO...).

Anybody has done it recently with success? Any detailed instructions out there made for non-electronics-savvy guys like me ??

I am thinking of using this https://www.buydisplay.com/default/a...i2c-3-3v-or-5v
or this https://www.buydisplay.com/default/c...no-black-on-yg , which i think is better (if i want to use a 2x7 connector), or is it not ?

Please help.
Thanks

Last edited by yamy_yazy; 4 weeks ago at 07:36 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I had to get a new one for my Qs-6.. Was an easy task.. I got a new display from ebay for 30€ or so, got delivered with cable and a basic instruction.. I followed the instruction, but didnt work when i tested it the first time.. So powered it off, and flipped the display cable 180°, then it worked!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davve00 View Post
I had to get a new one for my Qs-6.. Was an easy task.. I got a new display from ebay for 30€ or so, got delivered with cable and a basic instruction.. I followed the instruction, but didnt work when i tested it the first time.. So powered it off, and flipped the display cable 180°, then it worked!
Thanks a lot, Davve00, but this is the easy way!
The thing is that i want to do it the hard way (which is also the cheapest), use a standard 16x2 LCD (around 5 bucks) and do the wiring myself. I will also end up learning something in the process.
Just can't read the schematics very well, and the instructions i have found are a little confusing..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Well, i made this pinout pattern, as an example (see attachment)

On the right is the pinout of my new LCD (probably most standard 16X2 modules have the same pinout).
I am not sure how to make the right connections.
The youtube video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGYUxwOTuU
has very descriptive info about the pins connection, but guess i am a little ... and , that's why i made this pinout pattern..
Also, as i understand, a trimpot is needed to be connected (somehow) at pin V0...

Anyone can clear this out, please??
Thank you in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis QS6 display replacement-alesis-qs-6-pinout-connections-pattern-example___.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
---------------------------- ( UPDATE ) ----------------

I read the instructions of the above links more carefully, and after some more researching (trying to learn some bits about electronics...), i completed the pinout patterns.
So i made a 2nd pinout pattern for another LCD display with the connections on the side.
I would appreciate if someone with knowledge about this subject, would comment and make any corrections to the diagrams..

Please help, guys ! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis QS6 display replacement-alesis-qs-6-pinout-connections-pattern-2.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I guess i misread the instructions i've found, so the trimpot connection is WRONG!
So, i made a corrected pattern (see image attached).

Trimpot should have one end to ground (VSS) and other end to voltage (VDD) and the wiper (variation in resistance) connected to V0 in the display, this is how variable contrast should work...

Is this correct?

Help anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Alesis QS6 display replacement-alesis-qs-6-pinout-connections-pattern-2ed_corrected__.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search