The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synth Chorus pedal / Boss CE2W Chorus Pedal
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Synth Chorus pedal / Boss CE2W Chorus Pedal

I've ordered a few pedals today to make my FX more hands on but I can't decide on a chorus pedal for my synths.
I really love the sound of the 'Boss CE2W waza craft' Chorus Pedal from the synth demos I've heard on youtube and I'm on the verge of ordering one but my main concern is that it only has a mono input, I will use it occasionally with some mono synths but I imagine it's mostly going to be connected to my Prophet Rev2 which is very much stereo..

With Chorus I think I'm chasing that classic Juno chorus but would also like some flexibility (not just the two buttons on the TC which is also mono in)

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobofunk View Post
I've ordered a few pedals today to make my FX more hands on but I can't decide on a chorus pedal for my synths.
I really love the sound of the 'Boss CE2W waza craft' Chorus Pedal from the synth demos I've heard on youtube and I'm on the verge of ordering one but my main concern is that it only has a mono input, I will use it occasionally with some mono synths but I imagine it's mostly going to be connected to my Prophet Rev2 which is very much stereo..

With Chorus I think I'm chasing that classic Juno chorus but would also like some flexibility (not just the two buttons on the TC which is also mono in)

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks
Hi,mobofunk

Use the effect send / return of mixer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The CE-2w is not a true stereo chorus either. The output is wet/dry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi,mobofunk

It may be interesting to buy two and apply them separately on the left and right.

Isn't this good too?
https://www.boss.info/uk/products/dc-2w/
The adjustment range is not wide.
I think that it is a special equipment.

I always use this and it has a very nice effect and I like it.
https://www.boss.info/uk/products/ve-20/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

DC-2W. It gets into SDD-320 territory. That unit was used on so many classic recordings, on synths, guitars, bass, vocals, you name it. It’s a very unique and special chorus in stereo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like the 2 mono pedals idea, if you want the iconic CE sound with stereo input. You could even try blending the "stereo" wet and "stereo" dry tracks together (4 total outputs from the 2 pedals, mixed down to stereo). But that would get expensive for 2 CE-2Ws - you'd have to REALLY want that sound. It makes me think of "Come As You Are" and vintage indie rock guitars more than Juno.

TC's June 60 is much cheaper. Like, '4 for the price of one' cheaper. With any sweepy, 'buttons not knobs' chorus, you'll have to deal with limited rate (speed of the sweep) control. This doesn't apply to the Boss DC-2w, because it isn't sweepy. It isn't even exactly a chorus, it's a girth but not density expander, if that makes sense. At extremes it can hollow out the center, if you want that. Lower #s is more 'chorus-y', but still no warble. It's a cool effect. It retains and widens your stereo signal - no worries about losing that info on its way thru. And you only need to buy one, which is good because it's spendy.

Effectivity, a one man show out of Spain, makes a Juno chorus pedal. He doesn't really advertise, because he has a limited supply of chips and time. "Wonder pedal" maybe? You could look him up and ask if he still makes them, or search for a used one.

There are so many other types (sounds) of chorus pedals, but the analog ones seem to be mono-in. I love the mono-in, stereo-out pedals for non-stereo sources. It might be neat to try 2 of those if you were mixing from stereo to surround-sound, but otherwise probably overkill. There are old rack fx, and there are digital pedals, with stereo inputs. I don't know if something like the Boss MD-500 or other companies' digital mod pedals would give the sound you want?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
DC-2W. It gets into SDD-320 territory. That unit was used on so many classic recordings, on synths, guitars, bass, vocals, you name it. It’s a very unique and special chorus in stereo.
That's probably the right choice. Where I'm at right now, all I brought was a digital piano with 14 sounds and about as many rhythms, a Ventris pedal for reverb, and... the DC-2w of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I’ve found the Seraph Deluxe works well with synths.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies all. I love the look of that Seraph Deluxe but it looks like there's none available even on the used market and reverb.com's sales history show they are very pricey :(

I think the DC-2W sounds like the best option and true stereo!

I might also get the TC Corona for some more possibilities as it's really cheap and maybe even a Nautila if I can find one used (no longer listed on Thomann where DigiTech is much cheaper then locally here in Australia)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't sleep on the tc corona chorus....

You can reprogram it to whatever you want but even stock it is really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobofunk View Post
Thanks for the replies all. I love the look of that Seraph Deluxe but it looks like there's none available even on the used market and reverb.com's sales history show they are very pricey :(

I think the DC-2W sounds like the best option and true stereo!

I might also get the TC Corona for some more possibilities as it's really cheap and maybe even a Nautila if I can find one used (no longer listed on Thomann where DigiTech is much cheaper then locally here in Australia)
Old 3 weeks ago
If you are after the Juno chorus sound I think you will be disappointed with the DC-2W. The CE-2W is much closer in my opinion. I know you want the stereo input so I guess either one would be a comprise.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been searching for a good chorus pedal, and the one I think I’ll get is the MXR Stereo Chorus. Don’t think it’s out of your budget, but seems like a very good chorus for synths.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've had the CE-2W for a couple of weeks now, but I'm probably going to return it ... (Also had June-60 which was as bad as everyone says)

CE-2W just doesn't seem to add enough "magic" — or I can't find it — to compensate for limited control and range of modulation, some loss of signal and in general sucking the punch out of the sound while adding movement that I think gets lost in a mix ...

Going to spend a few more days testing it versus digital chori on H9 and MS-70CDR, which I suspect might be "good enough" for me. (I actually like the H9 "modfactor" algos). I may end up replacing it with another one of these . The stereo thing is also why I'm moving from CE-2W.

I might also go this route ...

Does anybody know how it differs from its bigger brother the MD-500? (These aren't out yet.) The screens are significantly different, and I fear, the number of params is "dumbed down" on MD-200 to work with two-digit display ... That's not been mentioned anywhere yet just surmising a "cut feature" based on the UI ... (Then again, five params on a stompbox isn't bad ... )

It would be great to "just keep it" (CE-2W) but I feel like this is going to be my last pedal purchase for a minute ... So it's got to be useful — not waiting for a use to be found (which is a nice luxury but one I can't really do atm)

Additionally, I'm actually going to start "investing" in plugs for Auria Pro or Cubasis on iPad Pro ... or Mac if I decided to break it out of mothballs and go with a dual platform DAW setup (I'm finding certain tasks much faster and easier on iPad Pro while others seem cumbersome and slow compared to Logic X and mouse)

Last edited by Diametro; 3 weeks ago at 09:31 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Decided to give it another chance and hooked up dormant JP-08x2 to CE-2w and the duo really came to life ... In fact, I dare say the CE-2 was *exactly* what the JP-08 was lacking ...

JP-08 incorporates a good programming experience in an incredibly tidy package. But while the overall sound is surprisingly nice it also seems just a tad bit sterile ... Boy, does the CE-02 really take that combo where it needs to be!

In contrast, somehow, it did very little to enhance the sound of Minilogue and found it just a tone suck ... (It pairs much better with Eventide H9s.)

Hard to say why, but I never really wanted to get rid of JP-08 and now they are staying with CE-02 ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Decided to give it another chance and hooked up dormant JP-08x2 to CE-2w and the duo really came to life ... In fact, I dare say the CE-2 was *exactly* what the JP-08 was lacking ...

JP-08 incorporates a good programming experience in an incredibly tidy package. But while the overall sound is surprisingly nice it also seems just a tad bit sterile ... Boy, does the CE-02 really take that combo where it needs to be!

In contrast, somehow, it did very little to enhance the sound of Minilogue and found it just a tone suck ... (It pairs much better with Eventide H9s.)

Hard to say why, but I never really wanted to get rid of JP-08 and now they are staying with CE-02 ...
Interesting report. I was totally "pre-convinced" that the CE-2W would be great for my Minilogue. I'm still interested in getting one anyway.
Old 1 week ago
If you want Juno-esque and/or stereo to stereo, I'd get a DC-2W. If you want syrupy and mono-to-stereo (although AFAIK it just phase-flips one channel) get an MXR M134, which can do CE-1/CE-2 chorus and beyond.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
If you want Juno-esque and/or stereo to stereo, I'd get a DC-2W. If you want syrupy and mono-to-stereo (although AFAIK it just phase-flips one channel) get an MXR M134, which can do CE-1/CE-2 chorus and beyond.
The DC2W really looks perfect for my needs; I wish there was a wet/dry mix though.
So you like the MXR on synths? I have a Carbon Copy that takes a lot of signal like a champ (some nice squashy compression-like effects) and was thinking the stereo chorus could be nice in a similar way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If any of you want to ride my spaceship to alien chorusland and more, I have Earthquaker Devices Sea Machine and Rainbow Machine after a Waldorf Streichfett and love it.
These are not your grandpas chorus pedals and more
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
The DC2W really looks perfect for my needs; I wish there was a wet/dry mix though.
So you like the MXR on synths? I have a Carbon Copy that takes a lot of signal like a champ (some nice squashy compression-like effects) and was thinking the stereo chorus could be nice in a similar way.
I can verify that the Carbon Copy Deluxe, Stereo Chorus, and Phase 100 all take line-level signals like a boss. And yeah, I like the M134 a lot, I dunno why there aren't more vids of it being used on synths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

In my experience, the DC-2W is very effective when used ad mono in / stereo out; I tried it as stereo in / stereo out on my Nord Rack 2x but it was subtle, while as mono in / stereo out... wow!

The CE-2W is also one of those pedals I’ll keep forever. It’s not stereo (the second output is just the dry signal), but that vibrato mode...

Anyway, if you really need stereo in / stereo out, I second that something like the H9 is a very good choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search