The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Compressor/Limiter for techno (master channel)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Compressor/Limiter for techno (master channel)

hey all looking for a good limiter/compressor to run my master mix through for some hard techno ive been making

thinking about pulling the trigger on an alesis 3630, heard it really pumps kicks well and does a good job with a mix. kind of classic for techno. im not looking for something TOO expensive/technical to where it changes the sound of my whole master mix. However, the 3630 is pretty old and very cheap these days ($30 - $60). looking for other recommendations of a similar compressor/limiter that might be higher quality. id say id be willing to spend $200 ish
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny23 View Post
hey all looking for a good limiter/compressor to run my master mix through for some hard techno ive been making

thinking about pulling the trigger on an alesis 3630, heard it really pumps kicks well and does a good job with a mix. kind of classic for techno. im not looking for something TOO expensive/technical to where it changes the sound of my whole master mix. However, the 3630 is pretty old and very cheap these days ($30 - $60). looking for other recommendations of a similar compressor/limiter that might be higher quality. id say id be willing to spend $200 ish
The 3630 isnt really a "good" compressor/limiter...its notoriety is mostly as an effect that became the sound of french house as much as a cheap compressor could...Id say youd get more mileage out of a klark teknik dn500 which should come under your 200 euros, they do here dollar equivalent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

You can probably get a Klark Teknik DN500 or a DBX 1066 and a cheap stereo EQ for sidechain under $200 on eBay. However, you would get a lot more options/flexibility if you spent the $200 in plugins. Most likely better results too! Particularly, taking into account that you want a transparent tool.

Nonetheless, if you are looking to add the hardware tools to your setup for the experience and fun of it, why not? If you are looking for reliability, flexibility, and efficiency, iZotope Ozone 8 is now selling for $199. It has great tools for compression and limiting. FabFilter Pro-C 2 compressor sells for about $179. It is very unlikely that you will find a 'good' $200 hardware limiter/compressor for your mix bus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat alley View Post
You can probably get a Klark Teknik DN500 or a DBX 166 and a cheap stereo EQ for sidechain under $200 on eBay. However, you would get a lot more options/flexibility if you spent the $200 in plugins. Most likely better results too! Particularly, taking into account that you want a transparent tool.

Nonetheless, if you are looking to add the hardware tools to your setup for the experience and fun of it, why not? If you are looking for reliability, flexibility, and efficiency, iZotope Ozone 8 is now selling for $199. It has great tools for compression and limiting. FabFilter Pro-C 2 compressor sells for about $179. It is very unlikely that you will find a 'good' $200 hardware limiter/compressor for your mix bus.
would be used for hardware
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
im looking for a kind of pumping effect if possible. perhaps better choices than the 3630 would be Behringer Composer MDX2100, dbx 1066, symetrix 525?

Last edited by spenny23; 4 weeks ago at 08:19 AM.. Reason: error
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
im looking for a kind of pumping effect if possible. perhaps better choices than the 3630 would be Behringer Composer MDX2100, dbx 1066, symetrix 525?
Exactly, I meant DBX 1066 and not the 166. If you would be willing to go DIY and spend some more money, maybe the Serpent Audio SB4000 could be a suitable option for around $450. I know this is pushing it a lot, but, the Elysia Xpressor would be a great option! You might find a used one for around $900 - the rack version. If you have a lunchbox, I've seen the 500 series selling for under $600. Sometimes it's best to wait and save some money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Plug-ins will sound better than cheap hardware running your mix though another round of DA/AD.

Pumping effect is easy digitally.

You need to spend money for decent hardware and conversion, digital has come a long way since those records were made.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A $200 budget wont get you very far in the world of hardware compressors compared to software, theres freeware compressors that outperform most hardware in that price range. That being said, maybe you dont use software, maybe you need one for live performance etc, in which case you might want to consider the FMR RNC (analogue)or a 2nd hand TC triple C (digital hardware) both are good workhorse compressors within your budget , theres also a couple of models from drawmer in that price range that are perfectly decent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Compounder
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For price reference, in the past couple years:
I got a 3630 for $40, and Compounder for $75, both in excellent condition, locally from private sellers, and in a region with relatively few listings and sales of audio gear. Just keep your eyes open. At those prices, you can try a few and see what suits you, sell what doesn't. Of the two, I would say the Compounder is more versatile. Its bass enhancer is another cool feature. I don't have the other suggestions, but I'm intrigued by the KT stuff (EQ too) for the price.

I also agree with others, that if the sound source is ITB and being recorded ITB, there's really no need to bother using one of these inexpensive HW compressors. But if you're already converting for other processing, or otherwise already OTB, then why not?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think we've established that one will most likely achieve better results using plugins instead of a dirt-cheap hardware compressor on the mix bus. It's fair to assume that the OP understands that! With that said, I don't think there's absolutely nothing wrong with the OP's desire to inexpensively experience hardware mix bus compression. It might end up being a personally fulfilling experience, even if the results aren't the best.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Use plugins so you can sound just like everybody else making techno.

We really must stamp out all nonconformers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If your music doesn’t sound just like everybody else’s, how are you gonna sell zero copies of it on beatp*rt?????? HUH?????
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My favorite small and cheap compressor is the original Overstayer FET compressor. Slays.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
Use plugins so you can sound just like everybody else making techno.

We really must stamp out all nonconformers.
funny cuz i make hardcore techno... id post a link to my music but i dont think its allowed, plus i like the anonymity... i can tell you its not any b e a t p o r t crap though haha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Plug-ins will sound better than cheap hardware running your mix though another round of DA/AD.

Pumping effect is easy digitally.

You need to spend money for decent hardware and conversion, digital has come a long way since those records were made.
im pretty deep in the digital world and have been using ableton for 7 years. ive got loads of software and am really familiar with ozone and other good softwares for mastering,

but nowadays im looking to get a little more stylistic with my hardware and hardware pumping/compression.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat alley View Post
You can probably get a Klark Teknik DN500 or a DBX 1066 and a cheap stereo EQ for sidechain under $200 on eBay. However, you would get a lot more options/flexibility if you spent the $200 in plugins. Most likely better results too! Particularly, taking into account that you want a transparent tool.

would you recommend DN500 over DBX1066?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i remember there was an interview with surgeon talking about the focusrite compounder & 1176 clone, so you could probably get near his sound if you like it on the cheap with any of the clones and a second hand compounder
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
im pretty deep in the digital world and have been using ableton for 7 years. ive got loads of software and am really familiar with ozone and other good softwares for mastering,

but nowadays im looking to get a little more stylistic with my hardware and hardware pumping/compression.
Given how cheaply you can get stuff on ebay, I would just pick a few things up from ebay and give it a go.

I would avoid the Alesis, ( or get the nanocompressor ) and go for a Composer, or Autocom. Pick up a DBX and maybe a Drawmer - and just see for yourself what a 'mid range' or cheap hardware comp does for a mix, then you will know the answer and be able to A/B against software.

Most of the time you can mimic it on software, but you will find surprises, you can get a lovely 'bloom' and glue from cheap Composers that I find hard to mimic 100% in software, most plug ins model expensive esoteric gear. Actually, Waves model a cheap BBE compressor from the 80's that sounds very similar and it is a popular plug simply because its a good model of that workaday VCA sound. There is something in it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

* get a 3630, use it for what it's good for, and pretty much nothing else. It's so cheap who cares... well worth $50 or whatever the going rate is nowadays, and it does that pumping action well.

* but generally speaking, Compressors and other external Hardware fx *start* getting interesting in the $500+ range, upwards of $2000 for a Drawmer or some such. Oddballs like the old Alesis, Art VLAs, and a few old dBx models are the exception.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

your Rytm has much better compressor than 3630. save that cash for beer and spend more time on gear.
Spending $200 on compressor is like spending $20 on drum machine
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We need Klark Teknik to come out with a cheap SSL clone or something. I've never used it on the master, but I use the FMR RNC a lot with my JV-1080 which usually has a few different sounds and parts coming out of it and it's very cool for that. I usually use the ART Pro VLA on the master and it can be very cool for that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
We need Klark Teknik to come out with a cheap SSL clone or something. I've never used it on the master, but I use the FMR RNC a lot with my JV-1080 which usually has a few different sounds and parts coming out of it and it's very cool for that. I usually use the ART Pro VLA on the master and it can be very cool for that.
Yeah Klark Teknik's two compressors are only single channel.
We need a stereo SSL Bus Comp or a Neve 33609 clone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search