The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Rolls Royce of Mono synths...GRP A4
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Next, I will be ordering some white gloves to go with it...

Yes it’s s VERY “hands on” synth!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Next, I will be ordering some white gloves to go with it...

Definitely needs moar knobs and switches.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1MtEUZA..._web_copy_link

Jordan Rudess just got an A4!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got it! One thing pictures fail to communicate is how HUGE and imposing this instrument is... wow.

Surprised to see that it has a USB port... have not checked the docs yet, does it support MIDI over USB?
Attached Thumbnails
The Rolls Royce of Mono synths...GRP A4-img_4524.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got it! One thing pictures fail to communicate is how HUGE and imposing this instrument is... wow.

Surprised to see that it has a USB port... have not checked the docs yet, does it support MIDI over USB?
Fantastic! And yes, its size is part of its amazingness. Pure Luxury in every way.

The USB port is not yet supported. Its there for future updates, but as of today, not functional. I imagine you will be able to upgrade the firmware with it going forward.

Congratulations! Believe me...I know how fantastic this experience will be for you!

Just tune up 3 oscillators in the 16' range, slightly detune them, and be amazed how huge this is. Then, be even more amazed when you pull up the levels of the sub oscillators! Can it GET any more fat? And then....with filters to "direct" mode (each on its own output L/R)....note how the resonance on the SVF (right side) ADDs harmonics with zero reduction in signal volume. Amazing! And if you get any resonance-signal-reduction on the Ladder Filter (left side)...compensate for even more gain and harmonics with the built in filter distortion. VERY beautiful! Now...adjust the filter envelope, and set the ENV amounts differently for the left and right sides....and note the pseudo ping-pong echo effect....ALL ANALOG!

Ya...pure luxury.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
OHHHH LOOK AT ME SHOWING OFF

ONLY JOKING AMAZING SET UP I JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO MANAGE TOO TWEAK THEM ALL .ID NEED A LADDER TO TWEAK AND PATCH SOME OF THOSE THINGS IN .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post

ONLY JOKING AMAZING SET UP I JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO MANAGE TOO TWEAK THEM ALL .ID NEED A LADDER TO TWEAK AND PATCH SOME OF THOSE THINGS IN .
The pic perception is deceiving. The ergonomics are actually very good in that corner. Everything is at arms reach....easy to patch up. The new GRP A4 is sitting out in front of the table, blocking it, because i haven't yet installed it in its final resting place. Just too busy playing with it for a bit, front and center.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fantastic! And yes, its size is part of its amazingness. Pure Luxury in every way.

The USB port is not yet supported. Its there for future updates, but as of today, not functional. I imagine you will be able to upgrade the firmware with it going forward.

Congratulations! Believe me...I know how fantastic this experience will be for you!

Just tune up 3 oscillators in the 16' range, slightly detune them, and be amazed how huge this is. Then, be even more amazed when you pull up the levels of the sub oscillators! Can it GET any more fat? And then....with filters to "direct" mode (each on its own output L/R)....note how the resonance on the SVF (right side) ADDs harmonics with zero reduction in signal volume. Amazing! And if you get any resonance-signal-reduction on the Ladder Filter (left side)...compensate for even more gain and harmonics with the built in filter distortion. VERY beautiful! Now...adjust the filter envelope, and set the ENV amounts differently for the left and right sides....and note the pseudo ping-pong echo effect....ALL ANALOG!

Ya...pure luxury.

Appreciate the info and the suggestions! I guess since the USB port has been there since 2012 I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to become functional. No big deal - like I said I was not expecting it to be there at all.

Curious also about how you have it mounted - is that a mixer stand? Does it seem sturdy? The instrument is actually surprisingly light given how big it is - I will have to find a way to place it in my setup for max tweakability. Really needs to be directly above the MIDI controller driving it - right now I have the Deckard's Dream and Peak stacked there - imma gonna need a different solution.

Thanks...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate the info and the suggestions! I guess since the USB port has been there since 2012 I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to become functional. No big deal - like I said I was not expecting it to be there at all.

Curious also about how you have it mounted - is that a mixer stand? Does it seem sturdy? The instrument is actually surprisingly light given how big it is - I will have to find a way to place it in my setup for max tweakability. Really needs to be directly above the MIDI controller driving it - right now I have the Deckard's Dream and Peak stacked there - imma gonna need a different solution.

Thanks...
I used a guitar AMP stand. Very secure. adjustable angle too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post

Make sure all your synths are earthed if it's going to be an aluminium ladder...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut
Put this little demo together after the girls went to bed.. am in love with this beast - enjoy:

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

thats a really nice sounding synth
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparco View Post
Put this little demo together after the girls went to bed.. am in love with this beast - enjoy:

Really great!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

For those unaware there's already a very long thread on the GRP A4 here: GRP A4

(My comments are in that thread as a former owner -- several former owners here on GS in fact)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

New pic. Fully installed A4.

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
New pic. Fully installed A4.

Can i just say....

HOLY ****.

By the way... you didnt buy that Audioscope from me on eBay last year did you ????? hahaha...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparco View Post
Can i just say....

HOLY ****.

By the way... you didnt buy that Audioscope from me on eBay last year did you ????? hahaha...
No I got it factory direct. Its a great piece of gear!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
Sounds like you're making good use of the A4 already. I'd argue that the larger A8 is more the Rolls Royce of modern analog monosynths though, but the A8 wasn't on the market for long.
I looked up these monsters after reading this thread.. apparently only 23 A8s were made. Rare!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I looked up these monsters after reading this thread.. apparently only 23 A8s were made. Rare!
They are even more impressive in person: almost twice the size of the (already impressive) A4!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search