The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
BARP or Subsequent 37?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
BARP or Subsequent 37?

Been gassing for the Moog for ages. But given the BARP has a Moog-like filter, plus patch storage and a step sequencer, is there much to recommend the Moog at almost three times the cost?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Barp sounds better IMHO. Way better. I don't think the Moog sound of the Sub Phatty period will age well in the future. Unless you specifically want that hardness and harshness in an analogue synth.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
I had a KARP and loved it - only sold for divorce reasons - but I want my next mono to have patch storage. BARP looks pretty tasty to me.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Barp is the way to go.
Old 5 days ago
The BARP doesn't have patch storage.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Behringer is trash too. Go buy Casio.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I had a vintage Odyssey and sold it to get a Sub 37. Haven't looked back.

BARP
Pros
- onboard effects
- Odyssey sound
- price
Cons
- no pitch or mod wheels
- difficulty in setting oscillator coarse and fine pitch
- no patch memory
- large, awkward chassis size
- exposed linear sliders might become dust/grit magnets

SUB37
Pros
- deeper programming options
- amazing amount of modulation destinations
- patch storage
- can add grit using multidrive
- mixer allows for varying tones from mellow to harsh
- Moog sound
- sub oscillator
Cons
- more expensive than BARP
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
The BARP doesn't have patch storage.
ah damn i stand corrected! that's a dealbreaker
Old 5 days ago
BARP is 1/3 of the price of the sub, but if you want patch storage you'll need to go that way. Once you get to know the odyssey it doesn't take long to program.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogat0r View Post
Barp sounds better IMHO. Way better. I don't think the Moog sound of the Sub Phatty period will age well in the future. Unless you specifically want that hardness and harshness in an analogue synth.
Crazy talk.. My Sub37 doesn’t sound harsh at all.. It can provide pleasant distortion if you need it though..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve
Crazy talk.. My Sub37 doesn’t sound harsh at all.. It can provide pleasant distortion if you need it though..
You're right. I'm right. Peace.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

No choice if it was me, Moog all the way...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You’ve been wanting the Moog for ages, it’s a fantastic synth, pick the Subsequent 37.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I've got a bodessey on the way, it'll get here next month, what I've seen I like.
I got to play a bit with a Sub37 in a stor once or twice. I like it a lot, well built, sounds awesome.

I don't think you'd lose eithwer way, unless there is something really specific you are after.

Price was an issue with the moog tbh.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanage View Post
Been gassing for the Moog for ages. But given the BARP has a Moog-like filter, plus patch storage and a step sequencer, is there much to recommend the Moog at almost three times the cost?
More powerful step sequencer, more synthesis options, patch storage and DAW integration.

If the Barp's sequencer is the same as the MS101, it's really laggy and underpowered. Not a nice thing to use at all and does feel cheap.

If you're into the ARP sound, then there's little reason to go for the Moog. But if you're less concerned by that, you'd be getting a far more powerful synth in every possible way with the Sub 37.

Never found it to sound "harsh", sounds like user error or non-users feigning experience with it. It's a bit more forward in the mids at most, a little different to the classic Moog sound.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Be careful; the Sub 37 and Subsequent 37 do sound different; the latter carries a much wider sweet spot than the former.

I can't speak to the sound of the BARP, but it's on my list.

If you're wanting something Moogy in a keyboard form factor, do consider the Grandmother. No patch storage, though (largely a non-issue on a monosynth IMHO).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even though the BARP has a Moog-like filter, you won't replicate all the sounds of a Sub-37 with it.

That said, the Sub-37 does have that Moog sound but if your gas is for a Minimoog, it doesn't quite hit that note. You would be better off going for the Behringer Model-D.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a person only should get the Odyssey because they like the sound of the Odyssey and NOT because they want a mono synth. It has a quality all it's own that people generally either like or dislike.

You get a lot more synth with the Sub-37 than you get with the BARP. For that reason, plus the fact that you want a Moog, if I were in your situation, I'd get the Sub-37 and be happy.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't care about patch storage. I like to live dangerously lol. I create the sound and record.. I commit to tape.. Commit to tape(sample or sequence)...

I'm getting the BARP.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
If you're wanting something Moogy in a keyboard form factor, do consider the Grandmother. No patch storage, though (largely a non-issue on a monosynth IMHO).
yesterday i played a Grandmother and a Sub Phatty. the GM sounded nicer to my ears if i'm honest but the Sub was still fantastic. Since what I currently need is that "one" workhorse premium monosynth for my setup, it really has to be the Subsequent 37. I think.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since what I currently need is that "one" workhorse premium monosynth for my setup, it really has to be the Subsequent 37. I think.
YES!
Old 4 days ago
vlz
Lives for gear

I'd say BARP. I was impressed with the feel of the GrandMother keyboard though, you can't
discard that option.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Barp. Tone plus price. The odyssey is a classic thru and thru. I have 2 Karps. Essential.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

The Subsequent is indeed more expensive than the Bodyssey, but you get a lot more synth for your money:

Keyboard with velocity and aftertouch that can be routed to many destinations.

Two six way envelop generators that can be independently looped.

Extremely flexible portamento section.

Two LFOs.

Filter with 6, 12, 18, and 24 dB / octave slopes.

VCOs with continuously variable waveforms that can be independently modulated from a wide variety of sources.

Sub-oscillator.

256 patch locations.

Internal power supply with an IEC connector (Behringer has a wall wart).

It also has pitch and mod wheels, which are more precise and controllable than the (IMHO horrid) ARP PPC.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I demoed my karp against a sub phatty at the time of buying. No contest for me, wasn't that sold on the sub phatty sound. You could get a karp/barp plus a boog and still have money left over
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

there are tons of moog and arp videos on youtube, you either are more into the moog sound or the arp
i am a moog fan, own a subsequent 37 and am loving it
also own the karp and would choose moog all day any day, doubt the barp would be much of an improvement, the karp sounds very good, its just not the moog sound that i love, simple as that
and dont wanna make your choice harder but i find myself using more the mother-32 and dfam combo than the s37
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesmeured View Post
there are tons of moog and arp videos on youtube, you either are more into the moog sound or the arp
i am a moog fan, own a subsequent 37 and am loving it
also own the karp and would choose moog all day any day, doubt the barp would be much of an improvement, the karp sounds very good, its just not the moog sound that i love, simple as that
and dont wanna make your choice harder but i find myself using more the mother-32 and dfam combo than the s37
To the point about patchability / immediacy, I'm finding that to be a bigger selling point than patch memory these days; in fact, my brain is having a really difficult time managing the mental previews of hundreds of patch locations. (Frankly, 32 would be plenty, even on a Prophet-6.)

To the point of the BARP (and in spite of some of the fanboi antics here), I feel as if Behringer has done a decent enough job expanding the Odyssey concept while making it affordable (the Korg FS was an absolute joke, both in price as well as keybed quality).
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
yesterday i played a Grandmother and a Sub Phatty. the GM sounded nicer to my ears if i'm honest but the Sub was still fantastic. Since what I currently need is that "one" workhorse premium monosynth for my setup, it really has to be the Subsequent 37. I think.
What about a DSI PRO2?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search