The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Interfaces for larger midi studios
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Interfaces for larger midi studios

So I just browsed Apples upcoming Pro line. Lustworthy. One of the glaring issues with updating for me is I'm running a larger home studio with roughly 100+ pieces of gear that I like to have available via midi. I'm using two 16 channel USB hubs with the two available ports on my 2010 iMacs 2 USB ports.
I already have problems in that the NI Maschine studio does not play nice on a USB hub, only directly hogging one of the two USB ports.
My questions to the general knowledge bank:
1. Are there midi interfaces that use other port types ( firewire etc) and how do they perform?
2. Is it possible to utilize an adapter USB to firewire ( or something like that) for the Maschine studio? has anyone tried this?
3. Currently most Midi units are 8X8 ( the iMIO being an exceptional 10); are there any 20 in 20 out midi interfaces? This way I'd have one less USB cable and one interface could service one tower rack.
Thoughts and opinions please...
Old 1 week ago
bax
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
So I just browsed Apples upcoming Pro line. Lustworthy. One of the glaring issues with updating for me is I'm running a larger home studio with roughly 100+ pieces of gear that I like to have available via midi. I'm using two 16 channel USB hubs with the two available ports on my 2010 iMacs 2 USB ports.
I already have problems in that the NI Maschine studio does not play nice on a USB hub, only directly hogging one of the two USB ports.
My questions to the general knowledge bank:
1. Are there midi interfaces that use other port types ( firewire etc) and how do they perform?
2. Is it possible to utilize an adapter USB to firewire ( or something like that) for the Maschine studio? has anyone tried this?
3. Currently most Midi units are 8X8 ( the iMIO being an exceptional 10); are there any 20 in 20 out midi interfaces? This way I'd have one less USB cable and one interface could service one tower rack.
Thoughts and opinions please...
Not that I have seen that is still available and supported... eMagic had stackable stuff running on serial ports back in the day. The Alysium copperLAN solution looked promising but has been left by the wayside also.

The iConnectivity mio10 units run very well connected via USB hub; I run three of them on a single (powered) hub without issue, probably adding a 4th soon. I opened a ticket with their support about this in the early days, and their developers run multiple units (even mixed with other mio models) on single hub setups in-house. One other thing to consider here (if you don't have to have all devices connected via DIN connections) is the mio's capability for hosting up to 10 USB class-compliant midi devices via a hub connected to the USB port on the back. Works very nicely...you can also "reserve" ports for those USB devices so even if you unplug and replug it, it will stay attached to the named midi port you assigned it to in the configuration software. So technically you could see that as a legitimate 20x20 interface...

My setup is on Windows 10, so I cannot personally vouch for operation in the Apple world, but if they actually work in Windows, I can't imagine any reality in which it would be worse on a Mac

Don't have Maschine Studio so can't speak to any of that, sorry...

Thanks!
bax
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

There is this 16x16 one but no idea how well it works:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midiface_16x16.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I'm running a larger home studio with roughly 100+ pieces of gear...
Oh and be sure to make a new contribution to the "pics of your slutty setups" thread.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandomonium View Post
There is this 16x16 one but no idea how well it works:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midiface_16x16.htm

Oh and be sure to make a new contribution to the "pics of your slutty setups" thread.
Its been a while since I posted any pics. Currently undergoing an overhaul but I'll post some shots when its complete in a few weeks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you mainly care about MIDI out you could use expert sleepers stuff off your soundcard and have the bonus of impeccable timing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would recommend the iconnectivity mio4 or 10 boxes in a distributed system running midi over Ethernet..

You can take the same approach with the audio, back hauling over adat, or Ethernet style avb network to your main desk... check out motu boxes

In both cases, elegant system design and minimal cable clutter to your main desk.

So, in my case with three desks, I am planning each desk with a mio4 or mio10 and a ultralite mk4 ( tho any adat interfac would do).. main desk with an Ethernet switch and a motu lp32... between desks midi and audio combined is 3 cables.. one Ethernet for bidirectional midi and adat each way
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen. I'll need to look into expert sleepers solutions. Rock solid timing is always a plus. The ethernet idea sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that would work. I have an ethernet hub that I currently use for the LIO-8. 12 Motu interfaces ( Various models: 128,XT,MTP-AV) are entering via USB. Is there a USB to Ethernet Box that is recognized by Apples Audi/Midi ?
Pardon my ignorance and appreciate all the help so far.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Let me just say, having been in the computer and peripherals industry for a number of years, adapters are usually a very bad idea. This, of course, depends upon the drivers provided, but if drivers are required, I say run away as fast as you can.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Kenton is about to release what looks like a nice MIDI interface, due later this year - only 8x8 but prob stackable and will no doubt have a v nice feature set. There's a thread here somewhere..

100+ pieces of MIDI gear - erm, wowzers !!..'larger home studio' indeed.

Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear
I use 7 um880’s. I don’t use a computer though. Basically I use the front side connections to patch controllers to my mv’s which take care of sequencing. I think the Iconnectivty route described above is great approach worth your consideration for your situation.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
What about adding a USB PCI card to th computer.

I have never used a MAC of any kind. But on my PC, in my most recent build I added the following card to help with all the USB items to be connected.

StarTech 7-Port USB 3.0 PCI Express 2.0 x1 Card

And I use this:
https://www.alyseum.com/al-88.html
using a network cable.

And two of this:
https://www.roland.com/uk/products/um-3ex/
I have the older Edirol version. Same drivers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search