The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Seeking medival inspired electronica from different cultural perspectives.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Seeking medieval inspired electronica from different cultural perspectives.

In 1995, the band "Sorten Muld" (Black Soil) was born in Denmark. The genre was a mixture of electronica combined with Scandinavian folk music, including some original instruments from the middle ages. The simple melodies were based on old folk songs often filled with dark themes from medieval mythology about man, gods, love, friendship, sex, seduction, murder, betrayal. It contained fables, stories of elves, trolls and other creations of medieval fantasies. I was immediately blown away by the beauty, its magical universe, and the cultural associations of it, and I am still a fan today. Unfortunately, they only released two albums.

My question is whether you know about any bands from your own countries and cultures that combine medieval music or songs with electronica or other modern genres, may it be Anglo Saxon, Russian, Japanese roots or wherever you are from? Please post some names and, if possible, examples if you do. I am very interested.

Here is a taste of the moods from the Scandinavian culture, though it will be hard to grasp the soul of it if you do not understand Danish of course, so I have summarized the stories briefly to suggest their meaning

Venelite
Venelite is riding from her father’s farm and meets The Mountain King (likely a troll). They cheerfully play through the fields. He eventually seduces her to follow him to his mountain and forces her to drink a liquid that makes her forget her parents, home and her name. She is going to be his prisoner for the rest of her life. The wind carries her grief.

Jeg gik mig ud en sommerdag (I walked on a summerday)
A young woman in love tells about how she found her beloved on a summerday, where she went to hear the nightingales sing and all other birds who speaks to the heart. She goes through deep valleys and finds him resting in the green grass. She has been very lucky, he is the finest of men.

Mylardatter (Mylar’s Daughter)
Mylardatter is dancing and singing. Then she clothes herself in (her) skin (=gets naked, man). She walks through high ceilings into the King’s son Halvor. He tells her that if she dance and sing to his glory and obeys him in the night, she shall be his queen when he is king.

Bonden og Elverpigen (The farmer and the elven girl)
A farmer who lives south of a river has everything he could wish for including 4 sons and 2 daughters. However, one day he sees a beautiful elven girl who lives in the water. At night, the elven girl visits him in his dream. When he wakes up, he is obsessed and has to see her again. He rides towards the river but the horse slips and falls into it. The farmer and the girl were never seen again.

So this is for a start. As said, I am very interested in similar concepts and examples.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Heilung afaik. Some electronic drones and some bones! I think they sing in Old Norse. Don't know if it is right on target for you but I really dig them.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
. Don't know if it is right on target for you
It deffo is. Very cool. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Celtic Rock Band "Iona" from the UK does a lot of stuff in Gaelic.

Like this

That is a very old Poem (also done as a Traditional Church Hymn) called "Be Thou My Vision"

This song is very synthy, others still synthy but more Pink Floydish. The Guitarist is very very good
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ernst Horn is one of my all time role models for all kind of experimental electronics ...

His projects QNTAL and Helium Vola were/are medieval oriented.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heilung afaik. Some electronic drones and some bones! I think they sing in Old Norse. Don't know if it is right on target for you but I really dig them.
One of the most arresting performances I've seen for years - astonishing on all sorts of levels.

Thank you for posting!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ancient methods
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like the first track posted quite a bit, and I don't understand a word she's saying, she could be reading the local phonebook and I'd never know, but vibe and beats and her vocals are cool and good, period.

I'd mix that track in a set of Downtempo chill jams for sure. If that track never saw vinyl, I'll at least grab the CD for that song alone.

Thanks.

Haven't even listened to the other tracks yet.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

No one’s ever bested these guys.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I like the first track posted quite a bit, and I don't understand a word she's saying, she could be reading the local phonebook and I'd never know, but vibe and beats and her vocals are cool and good, period.
Glad you liked it. I have made a little summery in English of the songs, so you at least can get the meaning of the stories if not the words.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
No one’s ever bested these guys.
Where is the electro stuff?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

That was great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Funny you didn't mention Wardruna also.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
(Ukrainian) Mostly traditional instrumentation (or samples), with some poly synths, but it satisfies the primitive itch for someone that listens to primarily electronica.

my favorite track by them:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like that last one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I got started listening to Scandinavian folk/everything back with Hedningarna and Simbi. Love the willingness to meld into pretty much any genre. Didn't know anything about these bands so far, so big fun! Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Ernst Horn is one of my all time role models for all kind of experimental electronics ...

His projects QNTAL and Helium Vola were/are medieval oriented.
Yes, I know QNTAL to be honest but not this one It is beautiful. I am lost to such sopranos and medieval scales. It’s like birdsong to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This thread is awesome. That Scandinavian and Gaelic music is beautiful, so haunting.

This is Te Vaka, they sing in Tokelau and Samoan, this one is in Tokelau. Tokelau is a tiny atoll in the South Pacific with a population of only 1500. They use old Polynesian melodies, our people’s history in the region goes back more than 3 thousand years.

Ata Fou (new dawn)
(translation)
With each turn
the sun remains
Giving out
keeping us alive
Something Precious

A new dawn
A call to seize the day
Not wasted
Sundown ends the day
A call to rest
Look forward to the next

Edit: loving those Ukrainian tracks, great stuff
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ IncarnateX , can you change the title of the thread, please, to the correct spelling of "medieval"? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
This thread is awesome. That Scandinavian and Gaelic music is beautiful, so haunting.

This is Te Vaka, they sing in Tokelau and Samoan, this one is in Tokelau. Tokelau is a tiny atoll in the South Pacific with a population of only 1500. They use old Polynesian melodies, our people’s history in the region goes back more than 3 thousand years.

Ata Fou (new dawn)
(translation)
With each turn
the sun remains
Giving out
keeping us alive
Something Precious

A new dawn
A call to seize the day
Not wasted
Sundown ends the day
A call to rest
Look forward to the next

Edit: loving those Ukrainian tracks, great stuff
Saw them at a SxSW, they were thunderous and awesome in concert.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
@ IncarnateX , can you change the title of the thread, please, to the correct spelling of "medieval"? Thanks.
Oops! Sure. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

This seems kinda apt to the title of the thread! Almost......

https://youtu.be/U5IBf9oScUw
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Am American (of immigrants, not indigenous).

Have no local cultural equivalent to share.

Unless some old school Blues or Gospel hybrid might be loosely the same.

Interesting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Am American (of immigrants, not indigenous).

Have no local cultural equivalent to share.

Unless some old school Blues or Gospel hybrid might be loosely the same.

Interesting.
To some, history starts later. Fortunately, Americans still got their immigrant roots to draw upon if nothing else.

Another approach would be to go tribal:

Old 1 week ago
Great thread.

Not really in the same genre, but Dead Can Dance went pretty deep into the same concepts back in the day. There’s some great material for inspiration there, especially if you are looking for Medieval music.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Great thread.

Not really in the same genre, but Dead Can Dance went pretty deep into the same concepts back in the day. There’s some great material for inspiration there, especially if you are looking for Medieval music.
Dead Can Dance qualify for the topic, I’d say. Lets get them up.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Heimatærde - Medieval EBM.

The job of one of the band members is to stand on the stage being intimidating.

Not a fan myself, but kids seem to like them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I looove Sorten muld. Such a shame they stopped releasing new material.

The only band I've found that has a similar vibe - although with an Arabic sound, is Niyaz.

https://youtu.be/USV_C0CaNTI

https://youtu.be/hFITqfyQVPk
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
I looove Sorten muld. Such a shame they stopped releasing new material.

The only band I've found that has a similar vibe - although with an Arabic sound, is Niyaz.
Niyaz is the purest of Persian Magic. I like Mazaar a lot because their electro arrangement gets a little more pronounced than usual, imo. Otherwise they really manage to get the accoustic flavors come forward by making the electro stuff focused on percussion and subtle background stuff.

Same electro emphasis goes for Parishaan but focused on percussion.

Old 6 days ago
Niyaz came to mind for me too. In that vein (and featuring many of the same musicians), the albums by their earlier project Axiom of Choice and Azam Ali's solo album are great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search