The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha DJX style effects, particularly the slicer
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yamaha DJX style effects, particularly the slicer

I was watching a video demo of one of these a few days ago. I know they are pretty toy like and the loops are awful, but I love the toggle switch for the effects and the slicer effect in particular.

Sadly, the effects cant be used externally or I'd buy one in an instant, but are there any hardware boxes that can perform this type of effect in such a simple way?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is there an example of the slicer you can share?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yes, sorry, so 3:31 and 4:16 approx plus various other points in the video.

A pretty old transformer effect from early mixers although this has different patterns of slices and the effects are beat synced.

These are dirt cheap and a bit bulky really for it's main party piece (imho), but i'd snap one up in an instant if the box could be used as an external effects box mainly for that effect.

Maybe some electronics wizz could mod one for use externally, but there's probably something similar out there.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Pioneer RMX-1000 perhaps?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Thanks Yoozer, one of my turntablist heroes DJ Jazzy Jeff uses one for his sets, but I don't really want to pay £450+ for a used one for mainly that 1 effect, if it does have it. I've since seen that the discontinued Boss SL-20 does a similar job to this slicer effect too, but it's a shame those cost around £150 when these Yamaha boxes can be picked up for £20. If one becomes available for closer to £100, then maybe. Another option is an early 90's mixer with toggle cut switch, or transformer button. Really bulky for 1 effect when space is at a premium. Maybe I should move to Berlin where big spaces are available cheap.

Well this could probably make a great project for a modder, if it's technically possible to route an external source through the effects while retaining the beat sync.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Do you have eurorack? if so, the ginko sampleslicer does some similar stuff... it's a DIY kit, and could probably be built into a small enclosure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mf6_rkoeg
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

A Roland Scooper (source material must be sampled first), a Chase Bliss Gravitas, a Hardware Gate with an external rhythmic trigger like another beat triggering the gate in time, or most anything with a powerful LFO and a square wave with 100% amplitude and a variable PW, all of these and a dozen other solutions will give you similar transformer-y stutters...
Old 6 days ago
Roland EF-303
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Slicer is available as an effect on the
Yamaha Montage. Lots of other great
effects on the Montage as well...Beat Repeat,
Lo-Fi, Bit Crusher, Ring Modulators..
I could go on.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I think korg kaoss pads can do this effect. Even the smaller ones.
Old 6 days ago
Deleted 9ca7a62
Get a boss md500, it has a beautiful slicer inside, you can tweak attack and decay, dial bpm or slaved it to midi clock and it works with line level.
Great sound.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
I bought a MD500 after reading that's it's a great effects box on slutz a couple of weeks or so back, but it didn't have the instructions and I couldn't get it slice well in the audition I gave it during a 20-30 minute spell before I left it unused. I think I was playing with the chorus effect mostly though as that effect seemed to be what every keyboard users videos on tube was demonstrating ie trying to replicate the Juno chorus. I'll see if I can find the instructions on the Boss/Roland site. Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclr View Post
I think korg kaoss pads can do this effect. Even the smaller ones.
Hmmm. I've had a Kaoss Pad 3 practically since they were released. I can't find the psu for it now though, but i'll be sure to check it out. Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Deleted 9ca7a62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I bought a MD500 after reading that's it's a great effects box on slutz a couple of weeks or so back, but it didn't have the instructions and I couldn't get it slice well in the audition I gave it during a 20-30 minute spell before I left it unused. I think I was playing with the chorus effect mostly though as that effect seemed to be what every keyboard users videos on tube was demonstrating ie trying to replicate the Juno chorus. I'll see if I can find the instructions on the Boss/Roland site. Thanks
You can download the manual from Boss site.
MD500 is much more then the chorus which I honestly don't use at all.
The slicer is majestic, you have many different patterns, you can tweak attack and decay in real time to make it evolve.
And you have also a stereo tremolo which sounds very nice, a good resonating phaser, and other stuff you need to test yourself.
Read the manual and learn how to use Md500 quite fast, there are many hidden options inside it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Thanks to all for the tips. I need to watch a few videos of them in action to see if they work as well as the toggle. It will be nice to dial in practically instant effects though. I like everything super simple as I switch between gear that much that it's nice to just use stuff on the fly so to speak and with as little programming as possible.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqueline View Post
You can download the manual from Boss site.
MD500 is much more then the chorus which I honestly don't use at all.
The slicer is majestic, you have many different patterns, you can tweak attack and decay in real time to make it evolve.
And you have also a stereo tremolo which sounds very nice, a good resonating phaser, and other stuff you need to test yourself.
Read the manual and learn how to use Md500 quite fast, there are many hidden options inside it.
That sounds right up my street.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

I bet you could find an iPad app like Flux that takes care of such things and a lot more. My iPad replaced my dying Numark CD player that I used for sample playback/scratching.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
That sounds right up my street.
I’m considering one of those to dedicate to my Microfreak. Seems like a nice little package.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search