The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me design a vocal preset! Paid op
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Help me design a vocal preset! Paid op

I am looking for some help replicating the “hide and seek” effect from Imogen Heap, using any of the apps I own like Vocalsynth 2, Nectar 3, Little Altar Boy, Komplete 12, Cubase 10. My intent is to use it as a starting point for dialing in my own sound, but I can’t seem to get close to the demos that I’ve found.

I’m willing to pay someone to create the preset and maybe a project template. Please read through and feel free to message me with a bid if you think you can help!

Specific examples of the effect I’m trying to replicate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepnJV6v9RQ
https://soundcloud.com/izotopeinc/4-imogen-heap
https://sounds.com/samples/release/11368/sound/1457764

I am not a pro sound designer, but rather a musician trying to achieve a vocal sound that works for me. What I am specifically trying to get is a super clean, chordy, textured, harmonic sound like those demos and my versions of it just are not that crisp.

I get that you need a super clean input to make it crisp. I also get that some of this is midi driven and I have tried setting up tracks with midi data that matched the chord progressions of hide and seek, just to get a baseline comparison of the vocals. I am still just not getting the same sound from any of the included presets or my own experimentation. I can get sort of close, but it sounds like a bargain version of the effect I’m going after.

I reached out to Izotope for some help with this as well. I was hoping that they could give me the exact settings they used for that soundcloud demo, but I could not pin them down on that! They were very helpful to be fair to them and they went out of their way to make me a quick video showing me some other parameters in the plugin. However, it felt a little odd that I wasn’t able to get the exact settings for a product demo that was instrumental in my purchasing decision for said product.

Here is what they provided in regard to the Jacob Cases video above:

Izotope:
Our sound designers said they are doing immediate pitch correction first. Then they are using Polyvox stacked with the "bats" preset in compuvox, and "breath" from Biovox. There may also be a little vocoder blended in there if it's not compuvox.

However, Bats and Breath are not presets, they are dials on those modules :/

I got close to the sound I really wanted on my first album, but the vocalist is remote in Denmark and was using Logic and Vocal Transformer, which isn't available in anything but logic... So this time, I am trying to do my own vocals and get that sound without logic :/

https://soundcloud.com/omnsound/eternally

Please send me a message if interested and we can discuss more!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnsound View Post
I am looking for some help replicating the “hide and seek” effect from Imogen Heap, using any of the apps I own like Vocalsynth 2, Nectar 3, Little Altar Boy, Komplete 12, Cubase 10. My intent is to use it as a starting point for dialing in my own sound, but I can’t seem to get close to the demos that I’ve found.

I’m willing to pay someone to create the preset and maybe a project template. Please read through and feel free to message me with a bid if you think you can help!
If you're willing to pay, pay for an Electrix WarpFactory - as that was the original unit that was used.

This shows that she's playing the chords with a stage piano/synth/MIDI controller. The vocal is mixed 50/50 or so with the vocoded signal. The MIDI reference in the manual does show that note signals are ignored (http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/warpfactoryuserman.pdf ) , so it's not like playing notes and having the Warp Factory generate chords via an internal shifter/carrier.

Imogen's voice is quite characteristic though, so if you're employing a completely different vocal talent you may not match anything except for the spirit of the thing instead of the letter.

Little Alter Boy needs a monophonic signal and its range is limited to -12/+12. Komplete has vocoders in Reaktor but wouldn't be my first port of call. Nectar is more about optimization/polish and while it has harmony, it's only 4-part - vocoders don't have fully diatonic pitch shifters and polyphony depends on the carrier.

Quote:

I get that you need a super clean input to make it crisp. I also get that some of this is midi driven and I have tried setting up tracks with midi data that matched the chord progressions of hide and seek, just to get a baseline comparison of the vocals. I am still just not getting the same sound from any of the included presets or my own experimentation. I can get sort of close, but it sounds like a bargain version of the effect I’m going after.
So first question: do you consider that the recreations with VocalSynth2 also sound like bargain bin versions? Or are those good enough? Because if they're good enough, you already have all the material you need.

Robovox has an internal synth as carrier. There's usually the tendency to use some kind of unison signal - supersaws - as they make a rich carrier. However, that also results in a not-so-clean end result, which is not what you want.

If you know the number of bands of the Warp Factory and some of its specifications, then you can look at other vocoders and set them up the same way. Sadly, the manual is rather coy about this and doesn't specify whether it's a 4, 8, 12 or 16-band.

One of my favorite videos wrt vocoding is this:

While it's not something you have, it really shows how many settings are possible and how factors like frequency range and bands are important.

Quote:
However, it felt a little odd that I wasn’t able to get the exact settings for a product demo that was instrumental in my purchasing decision for said product.
Could be that a 3rd party may have made this as a demo and that Izotope chose it as representative. They are not necessarily under obligation to share their settings. If someone makes a demo of a plugin they don't have to hand in their work produced unless the contract tells them to.

Quote:
I know you're trying to get your question answered, but private messages tend to go completely against the idea of messageboards - which is to share information.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

hello!
Thanks for the response...

The versions that I linked to on youtube and soundcloud sound amazing to me. So yes, that is definitely the sound I would like to achieve as a starting point. My own versions are the bargain bin, hehe

The soundcloud demo is posted from the Izotope official account, so that would indicate to me that is IS created by them and not a third party. They also told me that demo is Vocalsynth 2 only, no other effects. So, what reason on earth would they have not to share the exact settings unless maybe they are hiding something? I am not being suspicious, I honestly don't know why they wouldn't just be like, yeah here's a couple screenshots of the parameters, go nuts from there.

I am happy to have this info shared publicly rather than privately. My goal is to achieve that sound so if we can do it as a group, that is fantastic. If someone wants to literally build me a preset and a sample project file, then I am willing to pay for their time and effort. I don't want to be the guy asking for work like that without offering to pay for the time, that's all!

However, I have found two things in regard to this question.
-There are a TON of people who think "you just turn this and combine this and bang" and 100% of the time, that does not get the exact effect. I am looking for specificity, not generality as I have already achieved that general sound with the plugins and it's not feeling good enough. But these demos sound good enough to me if I can get there.

-The second thing I have noticed is that people are almost a little secretive about this effect...like it's a bit of a trade secret. I could not get Izotope to send me like a screenshot or parameters or anything like that other than the two knob names they gave me. That seems weird, no?

I know you posted the vid with WarpFactory, but that is literally the first time I have heard that as part of her setup. I have seen a LOT of people indicating that they believe it's a TC Helicon in that setup somewhere. So that is interesting! Googling, etc brings that up a lot, some crossover with the Messina stuff, etc. I will check out your vids more, too!

Thanks for your input!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m not able to help. Just pointing out IH’s song is a creative masterpiece among the greatest IMO. Thanks for sharing the live video!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you're willing to pay, pay for an Electrix WarpFactory - as that was the original unit that was used.

This shows that she's playing the chords with a stage piano/synth/MIDI controller. The vocal is mixed 50/50 or so with the vocoded signal. The MIDI reference in the manual does show that note signals are ignored (http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/warpfactoryuserman.pdf ) , so it's not like playing notes and having the Warp Factory generate chords via an internal shifter/carrier.

Imogen's voice is quite characteristic though, so if you're employing a completely different vocal talent you may not match anything except for the spirit of the thing instead of the letter.

Little Alter Boy needs a monophonic signal and its range is limited to -12/+12. Komplete has vocoders in Reaktor but wouldn't be my first port of call. Nectar is more about optimization/polish and while it has harmony, it's only 4-part - vocoders don't have fully diatonic pitch shifters and polyphony depends on the carrier.

So first question: do you consider that the recreations with VocalSynth2 also sound like bargain bin versions? Or are those good enough? Because if they're good enough, you already have all the material you need.

Robovox has an internal synth as carrier. There's usually the tendency to use some kind of unison signal - supersaws - as they make a rich carrier. However, that also results in a not-so-clean end result, which is not what you want.

If you know the number of bands of the Warp Factory and some of its specifications, then you can look at other vocoders and set them up the same way. Sadly, the manual is rather coy about this and doesn't specify whether it's a 4, 8, 12 or 16-band.

One of my favorite videos wrt vocoding is this:

While it's not something you have, it really shows how many settings are possible and how factors like frequency range and bands are important.

Could be that a 3rd party may have made this as a demo and that Izotope chose it as representative. They are not necessarily under obligation to share their settings. If someone makes a demo of a plugin they don't have to hand in their work produced unless the contract tells them to.

I know you're trying to get your question answered, but private messages tend to go completely against the idea of messageboards - which is to share information.
What a helpful and friendly and detailed response.

Right on...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnsound View Post

I am not a pro sound designer, but rather a musician trying to achieve a vocal sound that works for me. What I am specifically trying to get is a super clean, chordy, textured, harmonic sound like those demos and my versions of it just are not that crisp.

I reached out to Izotope for some help with this as well. I was hoping that they could give me the exact settings they used for that soundcloud demo, but I could not pin them down on that! They were very helpful to be fair to them and they went out of their way to make me a quick video showing me some other parameters in the plugin. However, it felt a little odd that I wasn’t able to get the exact settings for a product demo that was instrumental in my purchasing decision for said product.

Here is what they provided in regard to the Jacob Cases video above:

Izotope:
Our sound designers said they are doing immediate pitch correction first. Then they are using Polyvox stacked with the "bats" preset in compuvox, and "breath" from Biovox. There may also be a little vocoder blended in there if it's not compuvox.

However, Bats and Breath are not presets, they are dials on those modules :/

I got close to the sound I really wanted on my first album, but the vocalist is remote in Denmark and was using Logic and Vocal Transformer, which isn't available in anything but logic... So this time, I am trying to do my own vocals and get that sound without logic :/

https://soundcloud.com/omnsound/eternally

Hi, for these kind of sounds...rough ballpark, I use a free VST called midi choir:

https://vicanek.de/audioprocessing/midichoir.htm

I used it on this track:

Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

That is definitely getting close, but Windows only VST? I'm on Mac :(

Lovely song though, gave you a follow on Soundcloud!

https://soundcloud.com/omnsound
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Anyone else want to give it a shot? thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search