The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths that DELIVER! .. your most productive machines!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Synths that DELIVER! .. your most productive machines!

What are your synths that deliver results, be it creative sounds or bread and butter stuff, sits in the mix, require less FX once recorded.. whatever the ways it delivers! Go!

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If you combine them together then you'll have that result you're looking for. Just sayin, in order to cook something you'll be needing different ingredients.
Old 1 week ago
OB6 shows up in everything I do. It's just great on its own taking center stage, it's great for layering in. Sounds great dry as a bone or with lots of effects. Super easy to program and get good sounds out of it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Juno 60, Arp Odyssey, Kurzweil K series, TG-77, Tx 802, JD 990/JV 2080, VL70m, Matrix 6 etc

All simple, easy to mix machines.
Now it really depends on the sounds you're after, but it's already a nice palette.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Virus
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
DX7 - for more than 10 years have never been disappointed with it. I still have patches that I made a decade ago and they have now become "classic" in my collection. It keeps surprising me with new timbres and sweetspots, it's a definite keeper and a workhorse in my setup. Even when I'm in a mood for some cheesy keyboard vibe, it's second to none.

I upgraded it with the Supermax expansion and added a TX7 for an extra layer this year - can't stop playing it now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Creative: Analog Four MK II
Bread & Butter: OB-6
Old 1 week ago
Sh101. It would be hard to not include it in a track but why would I?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Eurorack is all that and a bag of chips, limited only by your budget and capacity to piece together what you want. Frankly, it's the only thing that truly delivers. The rest are full of compromises.

To me.
Old 1 week ago
My Pro 2 gets used everywhere, sometimes center stage, sometimes gurgling along in the background
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

For the longest time it was the Jupiter-6. I used that on eeeeeverything for a good 10 years. It's such a pervy personal pleasure to use a machine like that in stuff like dumb cereal commercials where most people would just use some cheap VST.

Lately I'm working in a tighter setup with less space and my two go-to units are Juno-6 for poly and microbrute for mono.

I would say that in general, the stuff that is close at hand and always connected is the stuff that always gets used, right?
Old 1 week ago
I was surprised as Id never had GAS for it but its the Pro 2....has almost made all my other monos redundant as it produces exactly the sounds Im looking for and requires not much more that a bit of EQ. Last two times Ive used it Ive preferred its distortion over my analog drive pedals. Great synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Clavia Nord Modular
Roland SH-2

Cheers,
Ian
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Eurorack is all that and a bag of chips, limited only by your budget and capacity to piece together what you want. Frankly, it's the only thing that truly delivers. The rest are full of compromises.

To me.
When Ive ran out of things to buy my modular journey will begin again...it fills me with dread
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

HW: Roland MKS-50
SW: Native Instruments FM8
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I was surprised as Id never had GAS for it but its the Pro 2....has almost made all my other monos redundant as it produces exactly the sounds Im looking for and requires not much more that a bit of EQ. Last two times Ive used it Ive preferred its distortion over my analog drive pedals. Great synth.
Yeah, I forgot to even mention that im always sending guitars, vocals, drums, crappy digital synths through my Pro 2 as well - love that machine!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

All the hardware synths that I own. I’ve done the expand-contract dance enough to know that things are at their best for me when I’m at about 8 synths, so if you’re not what’s described in the first post, you’re out.

Prophet 6. Bread n butter.
Pro 2. Special sauce.
ATC-X. Meat and Potatoes.
002. Spicier meat and potatoes.
Prophet 12. Golden Gate Park acid trip.
Dominion 1. German sausage haus.
Peak. Mix piercer.
Microfreak: gets me to approach things differently.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Creative: Analog Four MK II
Bread & Butter: OB-6
fully agree.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
When Ive ran out of things to buy my modular journey will begin again...it fills me with dread

My bank balance is the only thing dreading it so far, that and the anticipated workload to pay for it.

Every so often I fill up a bunch of cases on Modular Grid with everything I'd like to have.

And even though I say "everything", I actually work hard to only include things of very high interest.

And every time I do this, several so far, the estimated retail cost of it all is always $20,000+...

Granted, that's a half-dozen or more full synths worth, loads of effects and modulation, etc.

But still.

I may as well have filled my want list with a Moog One 16v, The River, and an original 808 and a 909.

Despite my best efforts - and I'm neither kidding nor bragging, I'll have spent $40-60,000 on music and studio gear before I am done or even almost done, and it's for me, not a commercial venture. It may never make another dollar, and I don't care.

And I've ran the numbers a dozen times, considered alternatives, and no matter what I look at, the answer for me equals tens of thousand$...

Ugh.

It's equally exciting, scary, depressing, and fun.

(self facepalm)

Oh well, it's only money, and I don't collect things, or have crazy tastes in several other areas, so who cares. I have a couple of friends who have a second car worth as much as my music goals.

The worst part - needing a job to help pay for it.

Jobs blow.
Old 1 week ago
Vermona PERfourMER mkII delivers inspiration and tone for me over and over again. A pair of PERfourMERs provide most of the synth layers on my first instrumental EP.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Every so often I fill up a bunch of cases on Modular Grid with everything I'd like to have.

And even though I say "everything", I actually work hard to only include things of very high interest.

And every time I do this, several so far, the estimated retail cost of it all is always $20,000+...
That’s a near exact description of why I ran away from modular like a scared 3 year old.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I should have bought an Odyssey years ago. I don’t always use spaceman synthesizers on everything but when I do it’s...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

My bank balance is the only thing dreading it so far, that and the anticipated workload to pay for it.

Granted, that's a half-dozen or more full synths worth, loads of effects and modulation, etc.

But still.

I may as well have filled my want list with a Moog One 16v, The River, and an original 808 and a 909.

Despite my best efforts - and I'm neither kidding nor bragging, I'll have spent $40-60,000 on music and studio gear before I am done or even almost done, and it's for me, not a commercial venture. It may never make another dollar, and I don't care.

And I've ran the numbers a dozen times, considered alternatives, and no matter what I look at, the answer for me equals tens of thousand$...

Ugh.

It's equally exciting, scary, depressing, and fun.

(self facepalm)

Oh well, it's only money, and I don't collect things, or have crazy tastes in several other areas, so who cares. I have a couple of friends who have a second car worth as much as my music goals.

The worst part - needing a job to help pay for it.

Jobs blow.
Its not for the fainthearted...the thing is I want a system like Derps (havent seen yours) but it costs $2k to sound like a neutron!

I know its only money...and my wifes rug fetish (the floor kind not the head kind) would buy most folks studios in here (not yours mind you)...but I cant justify it

Yet

yet

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
That’s a near exact description of why I ran away from modular like a scared 3 year old.

(Un)fortunately for me, I happen to be in a Starting Over phase these days anyway, and will end up spending roughly the same no matter what form factor it comes in, so it's basically a wash in my case. It was going to be a big stack of regular keyboards and desktop and rack boxes (some vintage) if I hadn't finally taken a hard look at Eurorack and started to reimagine how I might even go about things this go around.

What I've learned throughout the processs is that (though largely unknown to me until the last couple of years) Modular Hardware (and mostly Analog at that) was what I had apparently been wanting all along, and somehow never even knew or realized that until maybe three years ago.

I joke about the costs and crack-like aspects, and they aren't entirely unfounded, but I'm also more happy with my setup and direction than ever before. Like a kid in a candy store, never before could I buy just ~1/10th of a JP8 (the VCF by itself), and so on... it could hardly suit me better.

But inexpensive it is not.

Nor is the learning curve and complexity insignificant.

But it's now my favorite puzzle or game, so to speak. Far more stimulating than most things.

Win Win.

I've shifted ~85-90% of all keyboard and synth wants to modular-land now. It has saved me from buying or let me sell at least the following (not that it's any cheaper now, just spent elsewhere...):

* Microvolt
* SE02
* Minitaur
* SH101
* Juno106
* RYTM
* Tempest

All of which I've owned or were the highest of priorities before my eurocrack addiction happened.

I'm only bummed I didn't figure this out 20yrs ago.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its not for the fainthearted...the thing is I want a system like Derps (havent seen yours) but it costs $2k to sound like a neutron!

I know its only money...and my wifes rug fetish (the floor kind not the head kind) would buy most folks studios in here (not yours mind you)...but I cant justify it

Yet

yet

Ha.

I don't have anywhere near Derp's eurorack rig.

But I'm working toward my own big-ish bunch of it.

This case holds most of mine. It's a cheapo pedalboard case I've modded myself with the eurorack rails and power supply, which saved me a few hundred over pre-made similarly sized ones.

Including that savings, the top half of this case (photo from a week or so ago) is about $4000 worth, and I'm a bargain shopping, patient, nerd who will wait weeks to save $50 on something, and I almost never buy anything new either...

So, $4000 in euro and the case, and another $1000 in the controllers and other things in the other half:

Some of these particular things in this case will ultimately be moved to another case. This current configuration is just a snapshot in time, and not really "one instrument concept" or anything.

I'm really working to basically fill an 8ft table worth in a few separate cases, that will ultimately - to me - handle almost all of my synth needs, much of my outboard FX needs, half of my outboard Mixer needs, and be equivalent to several monos and more.

Now is about 20% on the way there, barely started.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Heh, just had this crazy vision of you flying with this case to a distant jam-session...

...and TSA opening up... vaht eez thees!

Quote:

<Keep you hands where I can see them>
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

(Un)fortunately for me, I happen to be in a Starting Over phase these days anyway, and will end up spending roughly the same no matter what form factor it comes in, so it's basically a wash in my case. It was going to be a big stack of regular keyboards and desktop and rack boxes (some vintage) if I hadn't finally taken a hard look at Eurorack and started to reimagine how I might even go about things this go around.

What I've learned throughout the processs is that (though largely unknown to me until the last couple of years) Modular Hardware (and mostly Analog at that) was what I had apparently been wanting all along, and somehow never even knew or realized that until maybe three years ago.

I joke about the costs and crack-like aspects, and they aren't entirely unfounded, but I'm also more happy with my setup and direction than ever before. Like a kid in a candy store, never before could I buy just ~1/10th of a JP8 (the VCF by itself), and so on... it could hardly suit me better.

But inexpensive it is not.

Nor is the learning curve and complexity insignificant.

But it's now my favorite puzzle or game, so to speak. Far more stimulating than most things.

Win Win.

I've shifted ~85-90% of all keyboard and synth wants to modular-land now. It has saved me from buying or let me sell at least the following (not that it's any cheaper now, just spent elsewhere...):

* Microvolt
* SE02
* Minitaur
* SH101
* Juno106
* RYTM
* Tempest

All of which I've owned or were the highest of priorities before my eurocrack addiction happened.

I'm only bummed I didn't figure this out 20yrs ago.
No, I get it. Believe me, I really do. It’s like a dream come true in many ways. Why put up with (what I perceive as) short comings in the fixed synths that I have, when there’s a world of modules out there that would let me build my own synths designed for my exact needs? That’s exactly what I set out to do... but it was too much for me. I realized I could spend all my waking hours pouring though demos and manuals looking for modules for my master synths... and yet never get though all of them and new ones seemed to pop up overnight like mushrooms. When I got overwhelmed, I just picked up a few semi modulars and modular adjacent synths like the Pro 2... and then I realized how many utility modules I’d need to get to just the functionality of my Pro 2, and still not be able to go back to a patch without a lot of fuss.

In the end, I got rid of it all, though there were some gems that I still miss (like the Microvolt and Mother 32). The only remnants that are left are the Pro 2 providing a MIDI synced LFO and extra modulation to my Dominion 1 and Torcido. Now when I get a hanker’n for limitless unbounded synth mayhem, I’ll load up VeeCee or Reaktor. I know I’m missing out on some aspects, but it’s better for me.
Old 1 week ago
Basimilus Iteritas Alter.

So versatile.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Synths don't deliver, musicians do. Too many people blaming their tools for their lack of productivity, when the brain behind the synth is the problem.
Well aint you the rainbow covered unicorn throwing flowers into the summer sky
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
SH-101 always sounds incredible, and everything I’ve tried on my new Perfourmer MKII has fit my tracks perfectly. Both synths have great raw tone and don’t need much processing to sound good, although some Echoboy and Eventide Blackhole go a long way.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search