The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths that DELIVER! .. your most productive machines!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
OP-Z. In no time you can make a complete song.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Funny, I went the opposite direction, though I still feel that the OB-6 is an excellent choice.

I found the Prophet-6 to be the Right Stuff™ when it came to Poly-Mod, darkness and no-effects, having come from an OB-6 desktop and a Prophet-600 Gligli. It's like a skateboard with tricked-out wheels: if you can't get it to work, it's the rider, not the board.
Where did I say "I couldn't get it to work", that's some conclusion you're reachint there.

Title of thread: your most productive synth that just delivers? My answer - OB-6.

If you don't agree by all means counter with the facts but leave the rest right there as you're way off base on my "skills" both as a programmer and musician (of some success).

Fact is, the Prophet 6 for me just felt kinda 'there', generic, functional, NON-inspiring. It has a very constrained/tight/small sound, good for some leads, good for some FX but when I had a room of other (vintage) gear it just didn't draw me in. I sold it without regret.

When I got OB-6.. I sold MY VINTAGE SYNTHS... that's how cool the OB-6 is (keyboard version - I don't 'connect' with the desktops or rack synths).

OB-6 is just so effortlessly analog, every twist of a knob and permutation of a filter change yields musical and inspiring results, Prophet 6 on the other had was like fighting against it to give something inspiring and musical... sure it gave sound, sure I could and did use it (Sparingly) but it just wasn't in the same sonic league as the OB-6. I'd say the gulf of sonic pleasure that exists between the Rev 2 (meh) and the Prophet 6 (nice) is the same gulf that exists between the Prophet 6 (nice) and the OB-6 (awesome).

OB-6 is the only modern synth I've had that made me not regret selling any of my old gear. Not it's not exactly the same 'vintage tone' but it's excellent, more analog sounding, more alive sounding, more inspiring and generally more musically useful in more places than my Prophet 6 was. The stuff the P6 was good at or even 'great' at, well I could get almost anywhere else (the usual "keyboard" sounds rather than glowing analog synth goodness sounds like the OB-6 has).

P6 sounded locked away behind its casing, even through top quality outboard pre-amps (Rupert Neve Designs PII), the OB-6 sounds present and right, just like the best vintage.

Now, to flip your veiled/mild insult back at ya, if you can't tell the difference between the 2 machines in terms of why the OB-6 is so much better, then it's the pilot (and his un-nuanced hearing) not the machines.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixMy106 View Post
I would say that in general, the stuff that is close at hand and always connected is the stuff that always gets used, right?
so true ... could be the OB6, the Nord 2, Alpha Juno, any good sounding poly really ... also use lots of plug-ins but a synth that's ready to play i find really important
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Believe it or not, it's actually the most inexpensive synthesizer in the whole studio: the Waldorf Blofeld. Every time I sit down with it, I come away with 10 new patches (at least) and have been getting some amazing sounds of late.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphaera View Post
Believe it or not, it's actually the most inexpensive synthesizer in the whole studio: the Waldorf Blofeld. Every time I sit down with it, I come away with 10 new patches (at least) and have been getting some amazing sounds of late.
no wonder. this thing is just nuts. if you really learn the matrix editing, which i'm struggling with ... and the keybed is good also.

another really cheap, inspirational gem here would be the miniak, edited via ctrlr - totally out of this world.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pooping all the fun stuff by saying my Montage. I could run for hours on a deeply verbed piano and an evolving FM soundscape. Instant Nils Frahm
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain fairy View Post
OP-Z. In no time you can make a complete song.
Link me to a complete song (with lyrics) done with an OP-Z. Damn, if it's that good I might have to pony up for one lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post
no wonder. this thing is just nuts. if you really learn the matrix editing, which i'm struggling with ... and the keybed is good also.
I do wish it was more knobby, but I'm good w/ the matrix. No keys here, module. This morning's sound design, all Blofeld:

https://soundcloud.com/synphaera/rem...sign-preview-i
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synphaera View Post
I do wish it was more knobby, but I'm good w/ the matrix. No keys here, module. This morning's sound design, all Blofeld:

https://soundcloud.com/synphaera/rem...sign-preview-i
Wow. This sounds amazing. Great pads. Bells are so HiFi. Nice work!

I love my Blofeld
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Clearly my Moogs and my Prophet 6. These all just deliver constantly.

The Ob6 has a nice vintage touch, if you want exactly that and don't care to sound a bit like 80s most of the time. The Prophet 6 is much more versatile for playing through different styles of music IMO, including actual genres.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Link me to a complete song (with lyrics) done with an OP-Z. Damn, if it's that good I might have to pony up for one lol.
Lol here you go , this is just the first i found on YT. Yhere are a million more

https://youtu.be/Is_iSH5mR_0
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Wow. This sounds amazing. Great pads. Bells are so HiFi. Nice work!

I love my Blofeld
Cheers, thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Now, to flip your veiled/mild insult back at ya, if you can't tell the difference between the 2 machines in terms of why the OB-6 is so much better, then it's the pilot (and his un-nuanced hearing) not the machines.
It wasn't an insult - but hey, since you're feeling somewhat sensitive, have some more sand for that Vaseline.

I've owned an OB-6 desktop, thanks, and I still own a SEM re-issue, so I get it. And I'd buy an OB-6 keyboard to replace the desktop, when and if it makes sense to do so (i.e., imminent replacement / end-of-life).

Ideally, it'd be great to have a synth which possesses both filter sections, some of the same sweet spots of both units, etc., but let's face it: the OB-Xa itself was never perfect, it never had a state-variable filter or that SEM goodness, and there is still much argument about 4v / 8v / OB-X based on people's own personal preferences. (Xpander and Matrix-12 discussions are best left for another thread.)

There will never be that perfect vintage Oberheim replacement; the best we can get is something that touches as many of our own bases as possible, even if it sometimes requires more than one box to do so.
Old 1 week ago
Adding my Octatrack to the list.

EVERY DAMN TIME I give it my attention, it rewards me with a more interesting version of what i put into it.

I still struggle with all the workflow issues but it’s honestly worth the effort.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is a great thread and I would say Ensoniq ESQ-1 as a top choice.

I find that any keyboard with layering cannot do it for me. For example I prefer the Alpha Juno to JX10 due to the horrible forced layering, not the sound. I like to know what I'm working with and build up layers on my own, not have a workstation do that for me.

Last edited by HarryDelmarva; 1 week ago at 02:00 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
There will never be that perfect vintage Oberheim replacement; the best we can get is something that touches as many of our own bases as possible, even if it sometimes requires more than one box to do so.
For all the P6/OB6 wars on here, I've listened to both P6 and OB6 extensively, I've briefly played them too, and they sound very similar to me with their tones. They sound like siblings to me, with a light buzziness to the tone. Maybe it's all psychological because they are built from the same chassis design.

I hope the UBXA steps in with the vintage tone completely nailed, even if it doesn't have the SEM filter. That would become my main "synth that delivers" keyboard without doubt.

Remember that Relic synth prototype? I guess it's been nixed, but that would be a great OB replacement.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Teisco 110F quickly became my most beloved synth. It's monophonic sure - but it's impossible to make it sound bad, it cuts through the mix without EQ and has some unique features seldom found even on modern synths. It's very immediate and its filter is one huge sweetspot. Any sound I make with it is very usable.

Other than that Prophet '08 has been quite a workhorse. While it doesn't have the best tone - its tons of knobs and extensive mod-matrix allow for some very unique sounds and heavily modulated, complex pads. Basically it's jack-of-all-trades.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'll post again because I thought of something.

Roland MX1 mixer and Alesis MMT8 Sequencer is my important gear because I have 2 other AIRA's like the TR8 and ROland TB03(self powered thru USB link 3).

The MX1 is "THE" Clock that puts my music in really smooth timing. The MX1 is also clocked by my MAC(RENOISE DAW) and it's sooo smooth..

Sampling, sequencing, producing is easier when just one press of a button, I can create ideas quick.

MAC clocking MX1 to clock Alesis MMT8 = awesome music production system. Especially with the DAW like RENOISE, I just can't get enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
I'll post again because I thought of something.

Roland MX1 mixer and Alesis MMT8 Sequencer is my important gear because I have 2 other AIRA's like the TR8 and ROland TB03(self powered thru USB link 3).

The MX1 is "THE" Clock that puts my music in really smooth timing. The MX1 is also clocked by my MAC(RENOISE DAW) and it's sooo smooth..

Sampling, sequencing, producing is easier when just one press of a button, I can create ideas quick.

MAC clocking MX1 to clock Alesis MMT8 = awesome music production system. Especially with the DAW like RENOISE, I just can't get enough.
I love my MMT-8 more and more each day.

It definitely delivers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Roland MX1
They're good and solid machines. A friend of mine saw someone else's rig that had three MX-1's, so he's using that as inspiration to get himself a second one. He's got a bunch of Aira/Boutique gear working in his favor in this setup, but he also really digs the sequenced effects of them. It seems overkill to me, but more power to him and everybody else that likes them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I only wish the MX-1 had an extra send effect (or the internal effects had some more control).

I have to get creative routing my synths/drum machines (using a lot of external inputs), but overall it's a fun and reliable mixer, even without tons of EQ options.

I'd probably run an analog cheap mixer (yamaha/mackie/etc) as a sub mixer if I needed any more analog ports vs. a second one though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Always Kurzweil. Most of the time, NORD leads. For many years Roland, but not now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If workstations count, my Korg Kronos 73 centerpiece (serial no. 73) by all means! Many years of extremely satisfying use. And I never got as much practical value out of any keyboard, as from this: the best flexible allrounder, by quite a margin, which I have met so far. You can play whole gigs with this alone, no matter what genre/style and what band context you play.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
. . . my mate always surprises me with a nice sound and when i ask its the virus
I know, right? Every time I listen to one of my tracks with a cool lead sound (or drone), I'm like (to myself), "What is that?" I look at which instrument was recorded in Logic, and damned if it isn't nearly always my VirusTI Polar!

Yeah, so VirusTI for me, too.

It's now mid-2019, and it's one of the first VAs I ever bought, well over 10 years ago, and it still keeps on kickin'. Plus, the ultra-solid build of the Polar 37-key makes it my go-to plug-in controller, which sits right next to my 27" iMac.
Old 1 week ago
Right now it has been my Korg Monologue. I love the sounds you can get out of that, especially when paired with a bit of reverb and delay. I feel like the filter sounds really good on it and the location of the resonance in relation gives you a lot of playability.

one of my favorite features on the Monologue is actually the pitch slider thing. I MUCH prefer this over a traditional pitch wheel, and the angle is perfect. Here is a song I made where I used the pitch slider a lot.

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
If workstations count, my Korg Kronos 73 centerpiece (serial no. 73) by all means! Many years of extremely satisfying use. And I never got as much practical value out of any keyboard, as from this: the best flexible allrounder, by quite a margin, which I have met so far. You can play whole gigs with this alone, no matter what genre/style and what band context you play.
That thing is such a beast.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
Teisco 110F quickly became my most beloved synth. It's monophonic sure - but it's impossible to make it sound bad, it cuts through the mix without EQ and has some unique features seldom found even on modern synths. It's very immediate and its filter is one huge sweetspot. Any sound I make with it is very usable.

Other than that Prophet '08 has been quite a workhorse. While it doesn't have the best tone - its tons of knobs and extensive mod-matrix allow for some very unique sounds and heavily modulated, complex pads. Basically it's jack-of-all-trades.
I have never seen one of those, but it looks incredible. I just watched some videos after reading your comment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I love my MMT-8 more and more each day.

It definitely delivers!

I know right? I've owned the MMT8 for 3 weeks now? Got it at 80 bucks on ebay in very good condition. I'm almost finished with the 3rd party manual(a fun read actually)..

I don't have to turn on my MAC to make music.. I turn on my MX1 and my MMT8 + plus the Aira's connected to the MX1 + plus the Virus TI2(which is really the horse power)..

Jamming rox.. See, I'm use to step sequencing that I learned using the MC303 and RM1X sequencer. I actually love the RM1X/RS7000 sequencer. But something about the MMT8 that is so simple to use that because it doesn't have a step sequencer, I get to play more basslines(in the style of Front 242/Nitzer Ebb).. I turn the sequencer BPM to 100 and then record, quantize and turn up the bpm to 122.. Baaam, a nice tight bassline.

I'm now learning how to merge, edit events, etc.

Because I like the MMT8, i'm thinking of getting the Pyramid or Squid.. I really want a sequencer that has USB in it..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
242/Nitzer Ebb
It's worth "...ten times it's price at least..."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
At the risk of destroying my credibility here ... the keyboard that (at least until recently) was most used? the Yamaha MX61. Not because it's great, but because it's so dang portable, fits well in the mix, and did what I needed. More recently, it's been the System-8 + the Sledge -- but the MX61 was my mainstay for three years, so deserves to get mentioned.

Now, saying that feels a bit like the didn't-realize-how-poor-I-was kid showing up at the prom in a borrowed suit that's obviously out of style. But maybe someone else was also ashamed to admit the unsexy gear that actually got them through gigs, so I'm 'fessing up to them whut brung me.
Sledge is underrated
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search