The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths that DELIVER! .. your most productive machines!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I have an set of old school ESX-1 and EMX-1 which I can't seperate, instant gratification every time I use them together.

That said, I'm finding the Deepmind 12 sequenced by the Synthstrom Deluge is becoming my go to pair lately for long eloving ambient soundscapes.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi View Post
Access Virus TI-2 is the workhorse for me. What doesn't it do?
Virtual Analog sounds, Wavetable, basic FM stuff, macro controls, arp, tons of great FX and can be used as a great FX Box itself including stutter FX (atomizer), Multi-timbral up to 16 sounds, great MIDI controller, VST DAW integration, multiple hardware and software outputs, 3 oscillators, 2 filters (more if you include the additional filter FX sections), etc...
Oh, and it sounds pretty good, too.
It's almost a perfect synth. The only things I wish it could are using the oscillators as a modulation source, better FM implementation, shapeable envelopes (without having to use recursive modulation to change the envelope shapes because holy crap is that tedious to do), better variety in the wavetables, and a way to alter the character so that it's not so dark and is more bright. Shame we'll probably never see a TI3 that updates these things. Even those niggles aside, it's a real workhorse.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

At the risk of destroying my credibility here ... the keyboard that (at least until recently) was most used? the Yamaha MX61. Not because it's great, but because it's so dang portable, fits well in the mix, and did what I needed. More recently, it's been the System-8 + the Sledge -- but the MX61 was my mainstay for three years, so deserves to get mentioned.

Now, saying that feels a bit like the didn't-realize-how-poor-I-was kid showing up at the prom in a borrowed suit that's obviously out of style. But maybe someone else was also ashamed to admit the unsexy gear that actually got them through gigs, so I'm 'fessing up to them whut brung me.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
At the risk of destroying my credibility here ... the keyboard that (at least until recently) was most used? the Yamaha MX61. Not because it's great, but because it's so dang portable, fits well in the mix, and did what I needed. More recently, it's been the System-8 + the Sledge -- but the MX61 was been my mainstay for three years, so deserves to get mentioned.

Now, saying that feels a bit like the didn't-realize-how-poor-I-was kid showing up at the prom in a borrowed suit that's obviously out of style. But maybe someone else was also ashamed to admit the unsexy gear that actually got them through gigs, so I'm 'fessing up to them whut brung me.
It’s OK, Ducky.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

lulz
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease View Post
That's an impressive list! But which one of those has been used the most on your recordings? Only one, that's right, only one!
Its difficult because a few of them I have had for many years, others are fairly new acquisitions. The one used most is probably the Virus... if I am allowed to include both the TI and b. If not, then I would have to say the Yamaha EX5. I have had it since 1998.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It’s OK, Ducky.

of course, a big reason the MX61 was such a mainstay for me was initially that I didn't have much else.

Still, it got me by: Greg Hawkes synth lines, strings, piano/EP, B-3 organ all sounded pretty good. And on my recent California trip, I really wanted to bring the S8 and the Sledge, but mounting shipping rates had me box up the MX61 instead.*

-------------------------------
*Which I didn't actually bring to CA; a wasp sting on my right hand just days before the trip essentially nixed my music-playing plans. Still: until that, the conclusion was in favor of the MX61, for all the same reasons I had used it before. Not an adventurous board but a solid performer.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
of course, a big reason the MX61 was such a mainstay for me was initially that I didn't have much else.

Still, it got me by: Greg Hawkes synth lines, strings, piano/EP, B-3 organ all sounded pretty good. And on my recent California trip, I really wanted to bring the S8 and the Sledge, but mounting shipping rates had me box up the MX61 instead.*

-------------------------------
*Which I didn't actually bring to CA; a wasp sting on my right hand just days before the trip essentially nixed my music-playing plans. Still: until that, the conclusion was in favor of the MX61, for all the same reasons I had used it before. Not an adventurous board but a solid performer.
Oh, I’m the last guy who’d really give anyone sh!t for anything they love to make music (or any type of art) with. My brother had some weighted key workstation that was a Motif derivative... P90 maybe? Sounded great to me. Better than my XV5050 for traditional sounds. If I was still doing live shows, there’s no doubt that I’d get something like that. For a short time I would go out with multiple synths and it was a setup nightmare and my music was no better for it.

I like this thread because it’s about practicality, and what’s practical to one person isn’t necessarily practical to another, and maybe the thing that seems most frivolous to you is exactly what is needed to “deliver.”
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi View Post
Access Virus TI-2 is the workhorse for me. What doesn't it do?
it does not have character

(i own Virus too, and that's the reason i bought it — without character, it always sits in the mix well)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Kurzweil SP6
NORD A1
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
At the risk of destroying my credibility here ... the keyboard that (at least until recently) was most used? the Yamaha MX61. Not because it's great, but because it's so dang portable, fits well in the mix, and did what I needed. More recently, it's been the System-8 + the Sledge -- but the MX61 was my mainstay for three years, so deserves to get mentioned.

It’s ok, I used a technics arranger keyboard with built in rhythms, a decent sequencer and some synth features for years and years before getting anything like a real synth (which was an An1x)

Last edited by xanderbeanz; 2 days ago at 06:51 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Through the last few years it was NL4, i have bought Peak recently and i think they will share title.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Coming from someone who has only owned Volcas, Pocket Operators, a Mother-32 and a MicroFreak, the Roland Boutique JU-06 is the most inspirational instrument I own.

I picked one up last week for a measly $400 AU - I had the money ready to buy a DrumBrute Impact but decided that the JU-06 was a far better investment. Chords sound amazing, but I feel like I’ve never been ‘spoiled’ with such rich sound before.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It’s ok, I used a technics arranger keyboard with built in rhythms, a decent sequencer and some synth features for years and years before getting anything a real synth (which was an An1x)

A few of my 90s demo recordings used a Casio keyboard's drum track. And sometimes even the keyboard itself (usually in a deliberately-cheesy way)

An An1x is one of the keyboards I'm curious about now, mostly because Evil Dragon likes them so much
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Definitely my Prophet 6, both as the keyboard I play (nearly every solo) and as a sequenced synth (leads, bass, pads, you name it, this thing is so versatile !).

With my Montage 6 a close second for everything FM-related (mainly drones/pads) or "standard sounds" (everything else).

PS: I compose mainly for a prog metal project , with a lot of electro/indus and synth arpeggio inside.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Not a synth, but putting everything into a Silver Bullet on the way in makes it MUCH easier to mix.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

As the question was for a machine it has to be a Mac Pro, whatever else is used it goes through that.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Not a synth, but putting everything into a Silver Bullet on the way in makes it MUCH easier to mix.
i have a bit of lust for one of them
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

At home/studio, the synth I enjoy the most and which ends up almost everywhere is the KARP. Even more than the D Reissue.
Surprisingly, I also get a lot of mileage out of the lowly Microbrute. I just love how its sound complements the beefier vintage beasts.

Live, I do almost everything with my Nord Lead 2X. A total workhorse.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

Why do all those people look like they're spasming?!?

(My first keyboard was a DX21, so you were doing better than me! )
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Everything I own.

I don't keep it otherwise:
Xpander
OB8
Voyager
Darkstar
TB303
VP-330
CZ5000
Blofeld
TX81Z
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

In the Studio:

System-8
Deepmind-12
Prophet 6
Nord Lead 2
SQ-80

This has been my system for the last year and don't need much else.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Audiothingies Micromonsta is an absolute gem. I really should buy another before they stop making them.
Old 1 day ago
Oh yeah one more: Monark.

Out of all the real synths I have, Monark is on everything.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by and you know View Post
Audiothingies Micromonsta is an absolute gem. I really should buy another before they stop making them.
i wanted to like it but tbh it's one of the quickest things i ever sold. it was very menu divey and sounded like a vst.. so i figure i'd rather just use a vst. also the encoders were very sloppy no matter which sensitivity i tried. i do like how small it was..but at the expense of its menus and non remarkable sound it was an easy sell
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
The Virus TI2 kb is definitely my trusty war horse.
It's the backbone of my music. i see all other synths I own as a complement to its sound.
I love everything with the virus: The sound is beautiful, the user interface is great, the build quality is gorgeous. The 16 part mutitimbrality behaves like 16 distinct synths and overall make song construction quite easy.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

MPC 1000 runs my entire rig.
Bass Station 2 fits in place no mater what. Not even a favorite of mine, but I can’t deny it just does the job better than many more characterful synths I own.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Why do all those people look like they're spasming?!?

(My first keyboard was a DX21, so you were doing better than me! )
I have no idea on the spasm front.

It was a really decent keyboard for me at the time. It had a really good pattern sequencer and also DAW-like piano roll editing.

You could hook a line in through the speakers for a guitarist friend, and then go to town.

I spent a lot of time between the age of 14 and 17 sequencing other people’s music as midi files, and dabbling in the quite-deep synth architecture, it really helped me with learning to compose and arrange.

Later on, Technics took many parts of that home keyboard UI, bolted on some more pages and added a unique synthesis engine, becoming the WSA-1.

I have one of those now. It gives me a bit of that 90’s Technic’s nostalgia whilst being a lot more interesting sonically and more my cup of tea nowadays.
Old 23 hours ago
RiF
Lives for gear

Whenever I am using my Roland System-1, I get the sound that I need in minutes if not seconds and it makes it "on the record".
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
Oh yeah one more: Monark.

Out of all the real synths I have, Monark is on everything.
How dare you admit to this unnatural act!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search