The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths that DELIVER! .. your most productive machines!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Monomachine for me.
Odd choice but there it is.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

moog dfam
that thing is a masterpiece! huge bass tones, beautiful sequences, weird metallic percussions... only downside - its not a poly
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Monomachine for me.
Odd choice but there it is.
For some reason I thought it'd be a Roland synth for you, especially JD-XA.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Tempest.

A lot of times I don't even turn on my other machines and I'm just creating music with my Tempest.

I've got a gig coming up (Doesn't happen often, 1-2 times per year) and this time I will only use the tempest, a mixer and some effects.

I used to carry multiple synths and drum machines to gig's. But this time I'll just bring the Tempest! That's how good it is!

I need to figure out how to do transitions though! Might need a looper pedal
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
For some reason I thought it'd be a Roland synth for you, especially JD-XA.
JD-XA would be a close second but I've had the MnM for 9 years now (I sold my OG but kept it some time after getting the SPX60MKII+UW) and it pretty much ends up in everything I do either as a poly pad, several layers of fm percussion, bass, effects, full sequenced and arp parts, as an effects processor or some combination of the above.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
My two Deepminds never fail to deliver every bread and butter sound I am looking for.

My favorite out-of-the-ordinary synth at the moment is Neutron. Until recently that role was filled by the Harmor VST with an analog effect chain.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Elektron Analog Four
Old 1 week ago
Virus TI and MOOG VOYAGER.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Did you pass on the Prophet 12 plan? I know I said I’d try to get a demo out, but this is a sh!t time of year for me when it comes to playing music. I haven’t even powered up my studio since that conversation. Visiting family... daughter home all day... vacation next week. I really hate this time of year.
I’ve cooled off from the P12 for now. I have a lot of synths that do very complex audio rate modulations and have mod matrices, I know the P12 has Curtis Filters, but it’s not quite enough to tempt me atm.

My plan is, amongst other things, a DSS1 (I loved the DW8000 but want more!) the X4 and some more EMU goodness.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Impulse Tracker (by far!)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Prophet X, music flies out of this thing
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

While I'm a big time modular junky, I think I'd have to say that the synth that delivers for me lately is the Nord Lead 4. It's got a bunch of compromises as far as what it can do, but it's so quick and easy to get good sounds out of it and sits perfectly in a mix. I wish it had more modulation sources or at least the ability to route LFO's to more than one place, but even that aside, it can really whip up good sounds quickly.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Mono/poly (bass), Juno 60 (arps), JX-3p (chord progression), Jupiter 8 (pads/arps). Pretty much use those 4 on everything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I’ve cooled off from the P12 for now. I have a lot of synths that do very complex audio rate modulations and have mod matrices, I know the P12 has Curtis Filters, but it’s not quite enough to tempt me atm.

My plan is, amongst other things, a DSS1 (I loved the DW8000 but want more!) the X4 and some more EMU goodness.
Well, the 12 does have the features that you mention, but it also does the feedback as well as the ability to tune the feedback. I don’t think there’s a more comprehensive poly synth that has feedback like that, if that’s your goal. I must say that I was a little disappointed when the REV2 was announced and it didn’t employ the feedback features of the Tetra/MoPho/Evolver.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Well, the 12 does have the features that you mention, but it also does the feedback as well as the ability to tune the feedback. I don’t think there’s a more comprehensive poly synth that has feedback like that, if that’s your goal. I must say that I was a little disappointed when the REV2 was announced and it didn’t employ the feedback features of the Tetra/MoPho/Evolver.
At least the Feedback circuit is available as a separate Module. They've been going for cheap lately, too, around $160 on the 'verb site.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Minimoog Reissue
Kurz PC361 with Kore-64
King Korg
Boss DR-880

All my current stuff has those four on it, although not every piece has drums, so the DR-880 is sometimes used to generate click tracks.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Far and away my Digitone. Categorically, it doesn't rank at the top compared to most of my other gear, but the gestalt of the box just completely works with me and I find it endlessly inspiring. I like boxes that coax out the feeling of cleverness.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by And Then Some View Post
Reading through the replies and likes it's no wonder we can't have nice things and the current output in the world is subpar.
A poor craftsman blames his tools. Good music has been made with bits of wood with metal stretched across them.
Old 1 week ago
obviously this fluctuated over the years. if i attempt some sort of statistic, i'd say hardware i relied on the most, to "deliver" specific sounds, always with fantastic, vibrant and organic results, that would have to be:

andromeda
system 100
jupiter 8
minimoog & sh2
rhodes

i've also used and still use others like waldorfs, obxa, eurorack, ppg, stringers, samplers, yamaha tx/sy variety etc, but not as consistently as the above. to complete the picture and keep my pal @ zerocrossing happy, my in the box go-tos: kontakt, idensity, zebra, more kontakt

also, would like to mention JD990. while i don't use it as much these days, it was my mainstay for ambient/digilog pads and textures for um.. decades?. made more patches for it than for any other machine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by And Then Some View Post
Ahhh. You bit. Shame. I've seen your studio. A fish gets caught by opening it's mouth.
That's not what your mom told me.
Old 1 week ago
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
to complete the picture and keep my pal @ zerocrossing happy, my in the box go-tos: kontakt, idensity, zebra, more kontakt
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Access Virus TI-2 is the workhorse for me. What doesn't it do?
Virtual Analog sounds, Wavetable, basic FM stuff, macro controls, arp, tons of great FX and can be used as a great FX Box itself including stutter FX (atomizer), Multi-timbral up to 16 sounds, great MIDI controller, VST DAW integration, multiple hardware and software outputs, 3 oscillators, 2 filters (more if you include the additional filter FX sections), etc...
Oh, and it sounds pretty good, too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

my mate always surprises me with a nice sound and when i ask its the virus
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi View Post
Access Virus TI-2 is the workhorse for me. What doesn't it do?
Virtual Analog sounds, Wavetable, basic FM stuff, macro controls, arp, tons of great FX and can be used as a great FX Box itself including stutter FX (atomizer), Multi-timbral up to 16 sounds, great MIDI controller, VST DAW integration, multiple hardware and software outputs, 3 oscillators, 2 filters (more if you include the additional filter FX sections), etc...
Oh, and it sounds pretty good, too.
Will it let you apply the atomizer to external audio?

And if so - is it in real time?

And if so - is it mono or stereo, the atomizer?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by steun View Post
Tempest.

A lot of times I don't even turn on my other machines and I'm just creating music with my Tempest.

I've got a gig coming up (Doesn't happen often, 1-2 times per year) and this time I will only use the tempest, a mixer and some effects.

I used to carry multiple synths and drum machines to gig's. But this time I'll just bring the Tempest! That's how good it is!

I need to figure out how to do transitions though! Might need a looper pedal
Not for your next gig probably, but have you considered an Octatrack mk1? In my live rig the Tempest and OT are like 1 super unit - the mains and 2 separate voices into the 4 OT inputs for live FX, sampling / looping, transitions etc. Each machine has their quirks, but together it's an insanely powerful rig.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Will it let you apply the atomizer to external audio?

And if so - is it in real time?

And if so - is it mono or stereo, the atomizer?
It only lets you apply Atomizer to external audio (as far as I know), and yes it's in real time and stereo. I have used on drum machines or outputs from the DAW.

It works by pressing a key (or triggering a MIDI note) while audio is being routed into the Virus. Different keys trigger different values (1/32, 1/16, 1/64 notes, etc). I believe triggering MIDI notes from a DAW will activate the effect.

I haven't used the Atomizer in awhile, but you may be able to apply filtering and other FX at the same time, too (but not positive on this).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Speaking creatively, for me the synths that just seem to 'deliver' every time are:
  • Roland Juno 106
  • Waldorf Pulse
I can't recall a track I've done in the last 20+ years where these two haven't featured usually quite prominently, and in the case of the Pulse - bass, man, bass; every time! Definitely my most productive and loved two machines (well, I have several Pulses).

For gigging I'd have to say:
  • Kurzweil K2000
Delivers pretty much everything you'd want from a synth on the road holding down the keyboard slot in just about any style of band; I suppose if you absolutely must have weighted keys and/or drawbars then you'd want the K2500.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 1 week ago at 10:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i think we should edit our posts with what music we make, because otherwise its a bit pointless

i make old school techno & acid housey stuff but with a new twist (or not)

and the deepmind is a bit of a current workhorse as well, so easy to get something fitting from it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search