The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Negativland True/False
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Negativland True/False

https://www.negativlandtruefalse.com/

If you don’t know about these guys, you should. They were doing really smart stuff featuring all sorts of appropriation and mangling. I see they’re back now. I caught their show in the early 00s in SF and it was one of the best show’s I’ve ever seen. Really amazing.
Old 5 days ago
  #2
I saw them live around then too and have around 3 of their cd's, nice to hear they are back around.

Do you know how many time zones there were in the soviet union? 11!
Old 5 days ago
  #3
Do you know how many time zones there are in the Soviet Union?
Old 5 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Catabolic's Avatar
 

Good news. Yellow black and rectangular is one of my all-time faves.
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Used to see them regularly in the early 1980's. In SF and Berkeley. They were pioneers in a lot of ways, building their own samplers and synths in some cases and paying homage to toast and whatnot. Very clever and really tight in performance. The Weatherman used to stalk the stage with his spray bottle of 409 cleaner wreaking havoc.

They were also very, very prolific for many years on the radio. I jammed live with them over the radio once on KPFA on trombone an glockenspiel. They used to have live radio shows once a week that went from midnight to 6:00 in the AM. Sometimes run by Don Joyce and sometimes the whole crew.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasi View Post
Do you know how many time zones there are in the Soviet Union?
6!!
Old 5 days ago
  #7
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindMachine View Post
Used to see them regularly in the early 1980's. In SF and Berkeley. They were pioneers in a lot of ways, building their own samplers and synths in some cases and paying homage to toast and whatnot. Very clever and really tight in performance. The Weatherman used to stalk the stage with his spray bottle of 409 cleaner wreaking havoc.

They were also very, very prolific for many years on the radio. I jammed live with them over the radio once on KPFA on trombone an glockenspiel. They used to have live radio shows once a week that went from midnight to 6:00 in the AM. Sometimes run by Don Joyce and sometimes the whole crew.
I sadly only saw them once at the Palace of Fine Arts, but it was amazing. One guy was just manning film projectors that were showing loops of film and bits of things. Another guy was just futzing around with a bank of cassette decks.
Old 5 days ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I saw them on the Deep Lust tour and they were fantastic. I was tripping hard, only made it better.
Old 5 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
A truly amazing era for music in SF when they were around.
We were all into samplers + archaic playback devices and 'mulimedia' (ha).
Sound and image collage with beat was the call.
Used to play with grinders with sparks flying and big flames while people did 'vocals' through feeding back CB radios while others beat on twisted metal.
Played at this place in Oakland called the foundry a lot.
The Farm.
Some weird under the freeway and side of the bay things that usually got broken up by the pigs.
Everything had to be black. Haircuts were often fairly poor.
Glad Negativeland are back - U2 can go to hell.
Old 5 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

One of my biggest inspirations. Saw them live a few years ago, and was lucky enough to attend a showing of their videos/history of the band and Q & A with Mark Hosler in Portland at a really cool old theatre about a decade before that. Glad they’re dropping a new record...will definitely preorder on payday.
Old 5 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ArtFluids's Avatar
Yeah I've had a copy of their first album for forever.
I was given it as a gift.
It came in a box with all sorts of cool cards and artwork
Old 5 days ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
A truly amazing era for music in SF when they were around.
We were all into samplers + archaic playback devices and 'mulimedia' (ha).
Sound and image collage with beat was the call.
Used to play with grinders with sparks flying and big flames while people did 'vocals' through feeding back CB radios while others beat on twisted metal.
Played at this place in Oakland called the foundry a lot.
The Farm.
Some weird under the freeway and side of the bay things that usually got broken up by the pigs.
Everything had to be black. Haircuts were often fairly poor.
Glad Negativeland are back - U2 can go to hell.
Good times. I saw them in SF back in the day at the infamous RatNest, as well as at Cococabana and Leafys. I remember one of the guys from the band pee'd on stage, it was cool. I also recall another guy banging on trash cans.
Old 4 days ago
  #13
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasi View Post
Do you know how many time zones there are in the Soviet Union?
11
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump