The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have inherited a Moog Sub 37 and Roland TR8s
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have inherited a Moog Sub 37 and Roland TR8s

Hi friends

My friend has kindly given me these two pieces of equipment as he’s moving to Australia.

I have Ableton and speakers .

I really don’t know what I need to set it all up .

Should I buy a mixer or can I do that in ableton?

Any help massively appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

you can use the tr8s as a soundcard, connected to ableton. connect the monitors to the main outs of the tr8s. you cana lso connect the sub phatty to the audio in of the tr8s and record that into ableton as well. this is the option to not buy any other gear. by using the tr8s as a soundcard you can record all instruments as separate channels inside ableton to mix/process them separately

plenty of videos on youtube on how to do this setup
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First, welcome to GS!

Second, now that's what I call a a friend!

Third, if your computer with Ableton has an audio interface with more than one input, then you can use the computer (Ableton) to mix the Sub 37 and the TR8S, or you can use the USB audio of the TR8S. You can also use a small mixer (can be had from $50) and either send the output of the mixer to Ableton for recording and monitoring, or you can hook the mixer up to your speakers, and then mix the Sub 37, the TR8S and the computer - this setup avoids any latency when you monitor the sounds and you don't have to start Ableton if you just want to play a little for fun. For that latter scenario, you could use an aux bus on the mixer to record to Ableton. There are many ways to do this...

Edit: half ninja'd by Sebastian N - good description of the USB audio option there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies , I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment . I want to have the best set up possible . I don’t have an external sound card but think I’ll buy one
any ideas the best for my set up ?

Thanks again
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil Des View Post
Thanks for the replies , I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment . I want to have the best set up possible . I don’t have an external sound card but think I’ll buy one
any ideas the best for my set up ?

Thanks again
You wont need an external soundcard if you use the tr8. Plug the phattys audio into it the use the phattys usb for midi. Set these up in Ableton preferences. You can use the phatty as a keyboard for softsynths too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
You wont need an external soundcard if you use the tr8. Plug the phattys audio into it the use the phattys usb for midi. Set these up in Ableton preferences. You can use the phatty as a keyboard for softsynths too.
Did they ever implement 48 khz in those, or are they fixed at 96 khz?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think they updated it a couple of years ago...could be wrong but I think I remember reading it...in here more than likely
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I think they updated it a couple of years ago...could be wrong but I think I remember reading it...in here more than likely
Oh, I see that you are correct. That’s good. I have no idea what they were thinking with that 96 khz only nonsense.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ok these replies have been really helpful , I appreciate it . So no need for Soundcard or midi interface?
Can’t wait to get home

If I added ableton Push that’s just a usb connection and I can use it to play Moog in Scale?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Ok these replies have been really helpful , I appreciate it . So no need for Soundcard or midi interface?
Can’t wait to get home ������������

If I added ableton Push that’s just a usb connection and I can use it to play Moog in Scale?
Yup, just click the output and input in Abletons midi preferences
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Can’t wait to get home ������������

Correct on all accounts. You can use the TR8S as an audio interface, and control both of them via USB for MIDI. Congrats and have fun!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

When you say Australia, by and chance do you mean prison? Lol jk
That's an amazing friend right there
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedPoetic View Post
When you say Australia, by and chance do you mean prison? Lol jk
That's an amazing friend right there
Yeah, I get nothing from my friends. Oh... wait.... I don’t have any friends.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nice score, that’s what I call “friends with benefits”
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

If I was you I would buy the Roland MX1 mixer, use it as your soundcard, take the USB from MX1 to your DAW computer, plug the TR8S USB into USB3 in on the mixer and you have access to all audio channels inside Ableton thru the MX1. Plug your Sub37 into the first two audio channels of the MX1 and now you are set to go, you will have spare audio ins on the MX1 to add other gear later but first learn how to set these 3 bits of kit together properly then you will have a better time and not be frustrated or distracted by buying more crap. The MX1 mixer has an on baord sequencer and effects as well. it can act as master or slave clock to Ableton, no other mixer I know of has these cool features.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yes - on the TR-8 too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search