All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
New RC-808, Emulator From the Original Inventor
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

what a fascinating project!!

thx for posting the link, downloaded the WIP to try it out

great reading on their website, too

a big thanks to the Analog Mafia!

Last edited by becks bolero; 5 days ago at 07:47 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Happy accidents are the essence of art, and not possible with planes or automobiles, in which cases there are no such things as happy accidents, which is why art is more fun than serious engineering.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

that was one of the best things I've ever read. thanks for posting. amazing.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
that was one of the best things I've ever read. thanks for posting. amazing.
I want to add my thanks as well. A very thought-provoking explanation of not only the development of a now iconic instrument but also of the creative process of both the developers and the users.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Yeah, you'd really love the article if you read all of it. They reduced the circuit complexity and exposed parameters due to those exact constraints but the aim was the same. Don't get all aggro.
maybe you forgot what you posted
to quote.
"It really Clears up a couple of popular notions that are plain wrong, such as the TR machines intended to be realistic sounding. They were primarily open-ended percussion synthesizers"

No they were not.
you are confusing what they wanted and what it became.

it became a drum machine not a drum synth, with the intent to be used as backing for duos etc.the sound was tuned to replicating std drum sounds, with little to no acesss to the synth type parameters.

sorry if you dont like your opinion being corrected.

btw tr machines began long before the 808.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piszpan View Post
seriously? that sounds like ass.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piszpan View Post
Uh...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Fantastic read, but somehow I expected their emulation to be a bit more sophisticated and ... accurate .
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

well, it is still in development, gotta give them that

I downloaded the demo and there are a lot of parameters to tweak, for each sound. I'm sure someone can get something good going
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Fantastic read, but somehow I expected their emulation to be a bit more sophisticated and ... accurate .
Their goal is not focused on simple emulation but using TR-808 sound engine as a basis for synthesis to create new sounds. The video is not showing the basic 808 sounds but extensions and new sounds. Nor is the video is from the Analog Mafia. It's just an independent user who downloaded it and started playing with it.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I can hear where this is headed. Sounds great to me.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTES So do you have a Tr-8 / TR-8S aand an RD-8 in your possesion to actually compare and quantify that statement ?[/QUOTE]

Its just a matter of using your ears mate.

Perhaps yours need cleaning.

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
RD808? Because it's so easy to hear the intricacies of the 808 sound via a compressed YouTube preliminary demo.

Or is it not the intricacies of the 808 sound you're interested in?

Because if the ACB is that lame, it's probably because you're missing the slight nuances within the sound which they admittedly don't nail 100%.

But if this is the case, how can you then claim something that isn't released yet is actually better?

This is the kind of misinformation that makes people ponder of meaningless choices as oppose to just grab a machine and make music with it.

Oh, and I've owned 909/808 and the ACB stuff. The ACB stuff is amazing. If you can't create with it, then the problem isn't the emulation
With the RD 808 even on youtube video I am hearing analogue. Tone my friend. Not tone deaf.

I prefer to create with a variety of other tools and thats why I sold them . No song mode etc etc.

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
maybe you forgot what you posted
to quote.
"It really Clears up a couple of popular notions that are plain wrong, such as the TR machines intended to be realistic sounding. They were primarily open-ended percussion synthesizers"

No they were not.
you are confusing what they wanted and what it became.

it became a drum machine not a drum synth, with the intent to be used as backing for duos etc.the sound was tuned to replicating std drum sounds, with little to no acesss to the synth type parameters.

sorry if you dont like your opinion being corrected.

btw tr machines began long before the 808.
It's obvious by the article context I was referring to the TR-808 and TR-909 specifically and not the TR-77, 33, 55, 700, 330 or 66 which belong to a completely different narrative. In case this is not clear to you I apologize for the liberal use of the TR designation and stand corrected. Please also consider to stop boringly pinpointing minor technicalities, as it breaks the flow of an otherwise interesting thread. Thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Japanese anime has its special aesthetic standard; big eyes in small face, small mouth and chin. It looked strange to western people, but is well accepted nowadays. Aesthetic study, which is a study of aesthetic value, seems to become more and more popular now.
There is a lot of that pseudo-intellectual pap in anime.
Quote:
[...] we had only cheap playback devices in our labs in Roland, and none of us were able to hear nor realize the heavy low bass frequency bands of this killer tone.
Of course this little detail is irrelevant to the Roland fans reciting "We design the future" mantras.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
It's obvious by the article context I was referring to the TR-808 and TR-909 specifically and not the TR-77, 33, 55, 700, 330 or 66 which belong to a completely different narrative. In case this is not clear to you I apologize for the liberal use of the TR designation and stand corrected. Please also consider to stop boringly pinpointing minor technicalities, as it breaks the flow of an otherwise interesting thread. Thanks.
you really cant stand to be wrong hey? and are not able to learn from it.

you made a large false claim and
the following deflections are just really weakmindedness.

if you keep digging ill keep filling you in.

btw i know the 808/8000 circuitry very very well.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
[QUOTES So do you have a Tr-8 / TR-8S aand an RD-8 in your possesion to actually compare and quantify that statement ?
Its just a matter of using your ears mate.

Perhaps yours need cleaning.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

My ears don't need cleaning, I just don't pretend my personal opinion is defacto for actual fact.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
But if this is the case, how can you then claim something that isn't released yet is actually better?

This is the kind of misinformation that makes people ponder of meaningless choices as oppose to just grab a machine and make music with it.
Welcome to the internet, where there is always someone poised to let you know that your opinions are wrong.

I’ve used the ACB software 808 and 909 a lot (hell, I use a lot of the Cloud stuff) and I think it sounds fantastic. I’ve listened to demos of the TR-8 and I think it sounds the same. I’ve heard demos of the Behringer, and I also thought it sounded really good, but not noticeably better. In my experience, I think way too much is made about Youtube’s ability to muddy the waters when it comes to the character of an instrument. I’ve purchased enough instruments based on good Youtube demos to know that my experience with the physical instrument (or software) is usually similar enough to not be an issue.

So, if Uli’s clone floats your boat, go for it. I know that having individual outs that you could pass though high end processing equipment would be a bonus, for sure, especially analog distortion devices.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Why do people still feed the trolls? I think I gave up on this in GS years back

Edit - just saw where this post ended up - not referring to the guys above
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Multiple launches and layers are possible.
By combining sets, you can make the rhythm complex.
I enjoyed it very much.
I was able to concentrate on the sound.
The sound is amazing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

sounds cool and sounds flexible
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

instead of enjoying something free and cool, and some amazing information provided by the original engineers, people on GS start bickering on semantics and golden ears. This place is really sad.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

the first try.

the first try.

Instruments:RC808-BD8Vintage1
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

can it loop? just tried it. not sure whether i can edit the sounds with those windows, wasn't very predictable.
well, yeah, but i'm not going to go overboard about it. it's a demo though, isn't it?
it isn't, like, a freeware, functioning drum machine. as far as i can work out.
Old 3 days ago
I edited up some samples of a few of my more favourite sounds from it - may be useful if you don't have windows...
https://audiodesire.com/files/RC-808.zip
I can really appreciate the technical knowledge of sound design these creators have - pretty amazing!
Yes the demo may not be to your taste - hell there is even a "Dance/Tap" folder of sounds in the program folder with various designed "heel" "toe" "tap" and "tip" sounds. But to slag this off for not sounding like an 808 is to totally miss the point I think.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
can it loop? just tried it. not sure whether i can edit the sounds with those windows, wasn't very predictable.
well, yeah, but i'm not going to go overboard about it. it's a demo though, isn't it?
it isn't, like, a freeware, functioning drum machine. as far as i can work out.
Hi,whatever17

The editor has a loop button, but I felt it was not working properly.beep sounds.
I don't know how to set the range.
I was able to create and play a loop with a DAW MIDI track.
MIDI data is output from the DAW to the RC808 application.
The first track I recorded was the sound from the output of another PC audio interface recorded in the DAW.
Even if placed normally, it does not become that rhythm.
The timing of the sound is personal.The length of the sound is also different.
The effect has finally come out when buried in the track.
It was a very fun and wonderful experience.

Thank you.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

wave shaping and envelope editor are amazing!
There is plenty of room for the change in sound.
The fun of making sounds is outstanding.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

this thread is about RC-808... did you read the OP, or are you just running around spamming any available thread?

Last edited by whatever17; 3 days ago at 08:14 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The appearance design

The appearance design is not good.
The function is wonderful, but I want you to express the design of the buttons and knobs carefully.
I want you to integrate the editor.
I feel that the knob moves too quickly.It's too light.

Why?
There is a talk about hardware, but it may still take some time before you realize that you're losing a lot by being similar.
The appearance design is not good.
It's a shame that after imitating, you couldn't sublimate. If you have design skills, you can change your direction.
Learning good design and making mistakes may not be a problem for students, but it is not something a good person can do.You can express beauty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search