The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Micro Q vs Minilogue???
Old 1 week ago
Micro Q vs Minilogue???

Yes another help me possibly waste money or not even do anything at all thread!!

Got my setup all nice and streamlined synth-wise.. Got my mono for bass duties, MicrowaveXT/Blofeld/Nord Modular/Eurorack modular for the weird stuff, and a good old Micro Q in the rack for the poly 'analog' duties. Now the Micro Q. I dig the sound of the thing sure but that interface.. Its in the same rack right above my XT and the XT is such a joy to play, and the Micro Q and that damn Pulse/MW 1 menu system. Was thinking about swapping it out for a Minilogue, I REALLY like what I heard from the demos of it and think it would be perfect because of both the liquid Korg sound and the interface. Think it'll pair nice with the Microbrute's fairly aggressive and overdriven duties as a bass synth here.

But at the same time, its a Waldorf. Its a somewhat classic Waldorf. Ive been the only human it ever knew after it left the castle. It does Waldorf pads of glory. It's DEEEEEEEP I just HATE working with it because it sits in a rack on the floor. The Blofeld I have no problem with because its right here in my face. The cables are long enough I can lean back and put it in my lap if I want to. If you think about it, the Blofeld kinda covers the same territory as well as the wavetable stuff. Its basically the crack baby the Micro Q and Microwave had after they partied a little to hard at a German rave. It doesn't sound the same but hey check out my rad collection of EQ plugins. I dont know, would it be 'dumb' to swap out the Micro for the Mini?? A lateral move hopefully just more playable and immediate?

Since it actually works in Sound Diver unlike the Blofeld, maybe I should sit and really dig into it after all these years (I think I have maybe 5 patches Ive made on it and bought it when it came out).

But come on this is Gearslutz, we debate everything, theres time to play later!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You have a µWave XT I would both sell Blofeld and µQ, get a Q rack or Q Keyboard. That said Mini is also a nice swap. I would trade a Blofeld for a Mini in your setup though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keep the Waldorf and get this editor:
https://www.mysteryislands-music.com...ditor-plug-in/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Ditch the Micro Q. IMO, there’s nothing really “analog” about it. Considering you have an XT and a Blofeld, I’d say it’s pretty redundant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I sold my microQ when I got a blofeld. Haven't missed it. If you're not making the most of the microQ's drum mode, audio in, or extra outputs I don't think you'll regret it.

The greatest loss IMO is that random patch creation on the microQ is much more consistently of quality than the blofeld.

MicroQ is a great synth really hampered by poor interface and more capable cousins.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Not really much territory of the Micro Q that the Blofeld can't cover. Get rid of the Micro Q, and bring some variety to your studio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Minilogue xd?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh View Post
Minilogue xd?
Ahh I forgot to tell you earlier about that one.. I think the XD would be a little too much $$$. Gonna try and swap the MicroQ and cover the replacement with it if I can.

Yeah I was going over the MicroQ last night and trying to somewhat compare the two.. Thats the one thing the MicroQ had the Blofeld doesn't (other than the subs of course), the extra outputs, the inputs, and the drum bank. Honestly Ive never used any of the three haha. At one time I DID have all six outputs hooked up when I was still running a mixer, but when it did get used, it was just one patch every time. I try to keep an instrument as an instrument and not do the multi thing (the XT taught me that 10 voices run out REALLLLLLY quick when you do that haha). The drum bank was cool but the MPC is all my drums and rhythm for the most part. Im not even going to bother with the Behringer 909 I was dying for if it ever finally comes out now. The one thing that bugs me though, and I never even knew this until last night, is the mod matrix is broken on the MicroQ. Waldorf wavetables aside, THAT is one of the main reasons you go for a Waldorf! Now that Ive been on to modulars for awhile now, that mod matrix finally starting making sense a couple years ago and it is a must have! As for the input, Ive always wanted to run stuff through it but just never did. But the XT has one too, not even worried about losing the MicroQ's, Id much rather process something through the XT if Im gonna do that.

No way Im getting rid of the Blofeld or the XT though. That XT is going to turn into melted Nextel mush next to me in my grave haha. Im gonna fire up Sound Diver in a bit and take some spins through the Micro for kicks today since I have nothing to do. SD isn't so bad because at least it triggers it when you move a knob or slider so I dont have to sit and hit a keyboard and then get up and walk over to move a knob, etc.

I think aside from the sound its the fact that the Mini would be sitting right here to the right of my MPC (the Microbrute is on the left) and I would probably use it about 1000x more because I have knobs and a keybed and its right here in front of me. Hmm who knows maybe I can rearrange things and just pull it out and out it underneath the bridge my monitor and speakers sit on. My old desk was what is now called the Omnirax Presto (back when it was a GC only model and called the Gusto about 15 years ago) so the MicroQ was rack mounted right in front of me with my interface and everything and was alot more fun to use. Damn maybe I should just get a Blofeld keyboard haha.

Thanks so far everybody! I gotta stop watching gear videos at midnight haha. Time to go revisit this thing. Worse case scenario I can always take a trip up to @ hgigh 's and check out the Minilogue in person too. If he gets along with it Im almost positive I will too hah.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Ahh I forgot to tell you earlier about that one.. I think the XD would be a little too much $$$. Gonna try and swap the MicroQ and cover the replacement with it if I can.

[snip]

Thanks so far everybody! I gotta stop watching gear videos at midnight haha. Time to go revisit this thing. Worse case scenario I can always take a trip up to @ hgigh 's and check out the Minilogue in person too. If he gets along with it Im almost positive I will too hah.
Yeah the XD is a bit more than an OG Minilogue in price, especially if you're looking at used Minilogues. You should come up and visit to check it out (along with other stuff)!
Old 6 days ago
Well that settles that hah. Apparently Sound Diver reads GS too and decided it wasn't going to work anymore yesterday.. I could connect to the MicroQ, I could pull all the memory from it no problem, but something seriously screwed up was going on with the MIDI output to it. Nothing was going back to it, it sort of half stuck the patches I was working on in the edit buffer but never updated the synth until it felt like it (Usually had to request the bank again for it to update). It was triggering when I was setting the Device ID/MIDI channel, but I couldn't edit it to save my life. Moved over to the Microwave to see if that was working, Microwave was doing this weird thing where it was triggering the Micro Q every time it send out a note hah. I updated VirtualBox to 6.0.10 from 6.0.8 so no clue if something they changed broke it.

I actually made the Micro Q crash yesterday too haha. Used the random function in SD, sent the patch to the synth and it started spitting out some rad glitching drones I thought was the patch. Nope screen was stuck on "SYSTEM ADDRESS ERROR 09821309812309182982379" that was pretty awesome hahaha. Its up on Reverb now with my Nord Modular thats been up for 3 months now hah. I might not even need to replace it with anything, was thinking about the whole 'I need a pad synth' last night and meh. I dont ever grab the Micro Q for that to begin with, I probably dont need another synth, might as well put that money towards my MPC Live or the new audio interface/midi interface heh. Theres also a maxed out MPC4000 about an hour away thats tempting me too..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search