The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland Sound Canvas VA relevance in modern production
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Roland Sound Canvas VA relevance in modern production

Hello! Would anyone be able to tell if the latest SC VST has any relevance in a modern electronic production? My interests are ambient soundtracks, darkwave, industrial and electronic music in general.

Roland seems to have a way with sounds that are almost production ready (so does Korg) I am finding and that the SC would contain similar than JV series (to which I will not go for the cloud..sorry).

I do know that a famous contemporary user was Rei Harakami (rip)and like the sounds of his productions but cannot think of any other examples aside game music.

I recently used M1 and Wavestation VST for my latest hobbyist album and did come to a point where strings and other instruments were not contributing the way I wanted to. Editing the WS was also a bit painful (but got around with magnifier).

I tried the SC VA and believe that some of the sounds inside can be quite varied ranging from old school PCM to even to some D-50 sounds (CM-64 emulation) to latest SC-88 Pro sample set.

How would this compare to Sampletank or Dimension Pro (quality, quantity and usefulness)?
The other kit I like to refer to is my KAwai K4R but it's not VST unfortunately.

I am really into retro romplers and not truly realistic sounds obviously. I am looking for simplicity and wide range of good sounds.

Any comments welcome. Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Bump
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'd say it has zero relevance, we're not in 90s anymore.

But it does have some nifty sounds, and with layering and tweaking the synth parameters it can be surprisingly useful.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Hey thanks ED! How are the sounds compared to the JV cloud, ST and Dim Pro by any chance? I am not looking at vast modulation here but basic B&B..the sample size is also very conservative.

You did help me a lot back then on my similar questions on M1/WS which were quite on the mark!

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Repeat after me: “I can make music with anything!”

Repeat enough times until you finally believe it.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Honestly, the best way to use these would be to embrace its artificiality, kinda like how people loved the M1 piano sound that wasn't really piano. Making it meta or making almost parody music but warping it around with FX like Mutable Instruments Clouds which you could do with t software, or Roland's scatter effects/ maybe pitch shifting it down.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If you are interested in the Sound Canvas sounds you should just buy one. Get the SC 88 Pro or the SC 880.

The "88" models also have the added benefit of Rolands best effects algos from the late 1990s

I have tbe SC880 version because it's 1U rack mountable.

I also have multiple JV1080s, multiple JV2080s, a XV3080 and a XV5050.

The SC880 is great as a preset machine. It's like a greatest hits album of Eric Pershing's time with Roland
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for your input guys! I am liking this demo right now.

Xpand2 is my most up to par reference and the Roland seems to give me more mileage and ease of use ( I already have many other synths for pure digital stuff).

I haven't touched on the drum kits but would think these are quite interesting.

My only gripe right now is a missing pitch EG...probably not necessary (and why many are going for the JV) . Most sounds (while of great quality) are quite linear in terms of pitch. The tremolo is there and I am finding the pitch wheel to be very expressive especially with layers and multiple bend values.

I also have many VA's and M1/Wavestation if I need a more involved modulation.

It also looks like this synth is made to work with trackers where you can modulate anything which can be quite interesting (still need to check this piece though..).

Cheers

Last edited by Yul; 4 days ago at 04:51 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search