The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Needed help with buying a synth for techno production
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Needed help with buying a synth for techno production

Hello! First of all sorry for my bad english. I got a digitakt and now im wanna buy a synth not realy for create a some melody stuff just for experement with a singles leads and keys like in a 'berlin' techno.

1. Roland Boutique TB-03
2. Roland Boutique SH-01A
3. Novation Bass Station II

Please let me know ur opinion about those synths and which one i needed to buy? Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get the tb03 and either 01a or bass station to go with it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by admtrshnk View Post
Hello! First of all sorry for my bad english. I got a digitakt and now im wanna buy a synth not realy for create a some melody stuff just for experement with a singles leads and keys like in a 'berlin' techno.

1. Roland Boutique TB-03

Please let me know ur opinion about those synths and which one i needed to buy? Thanks!
Of this list I prefer the Bass Station II. It's the most versatile synth of the bunch and Novation keeps putting out updates for it. Not so long ago they released a new firmware with new features!

I personally don't own the Bass Station II, but it's on my wish list.

I don't like the form factor of the boutiques in general. The TB-03 is ok because there are only a few pots, but the SH-01A suffers a bit of the small from factor. It's too fiddly.

Also the boutiques have a 3.5mm stereo output jack which is a big negative. Audio equipment should have 1/4 inch output jacks...

I recommend the Aira TB-3 over the Boutique TB-03 if you want 303 sounds. You can find it very cheap on second hand market places if you are patient.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
To me it’s all about fx and processing when it comes to techno, so any of those would work. I’d be looking at the Bass Station II - Novation is a great company that really supports its synths and this one’s real analog, filter and distortion are nice. Plus with Novation you get great vst freebies regularly, eg Trash 2 this month.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I love my grey little SH01A ... it sounds really really good. Sequencer is great, polyphony is great too. I normally sequence it, but I did get the SH01A with its K25M keyboard: the keys are pretty nice.
I'd say, get one before Roland discontinues them.

For acid waves, I'd leave the TB03 aside and get instead the much better TT303 (1st or 2nd gen).

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
If you are not familiar with synths, then I would pick something cheap. Then learn basic fundamentals of synths with it and after that start to dream about more expensive ones. But well, none of those synths on your list are expensive, I think.

Novations have great manuals. They explain everything from terms to basics of their products. There are similarities in their manuals between old Supernova and new Peak. And that is the way they educate their users using pictures and examples. Guess that is Novatin style. Many other synth maker have good manuals too, but I find novation manuals to be most starter friendly.

I would choose BS2 from that list. It seems to be in wishlist for those that are owning great synths, so it is not a toy. But do note that it is monophonic and specially made for bass sounds. It can do quite lot more than just bass sounds but being monophonic it gives you a one big restriction and if you like to learn everything about synths, then that is a BIG problem.

Maybe a Mininova? Digital but cheap and powerfull if you attach it to computer and use it's software to tweak sounds. Extremely live friendly synth and fun to play.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would get a Novation Nova desktop or a Supernova, old synths but still powerful with a great arp and great sounds.
If you have more money, a Peak.
Or a Mininova could also work.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I would get a Novation Nova desktop or a Supernova, old synths but still powerful with a great arp and great sounds.
If you have more money, a Peak.
Or a Mininova could also work.
This!

You could get old Novation Nova with about 300$ from ebay. It is like 6 mininovas, 6 ultranovast and 6 BS2 in a small box. But maybe the synthesis is a bit difficult to master as compared to new Novations.

Also there is a risk that encoders of the old novations can fail, and it can be real pain to change. But yes, that thing is still a beast!

Too bad they did not make same arp to Peak. Those selectable fill modes are great for gated live trance leads. No can do with peak..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Dave View Post
This!

You could get old Novation Nova with about 300$ from ebay. It is like 6 mininovas, 6 ultranovast and 6 BS2 in a small box. But maybe the synthesis is a bit difficult to master as compared to new Novations.

Also there is a risk that encoders of the old novations can fail, and it can be real pain to change. But yes, that thing is still a beast!

Too bad they did not make same arp to Peak. Those selectable fill modes are great for gated live trance leads. No can do with peak..
Yeah I have a novation nova desktop, i think it was made in 1999 or so but it's still a great great synth in my opinion.
Especially if you want to tweak your sounds live, you have an.immediate control with all dedicated buttons and.knobs which makes it fast and powerful to play.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

1. Roland Boutique TB-03

I'd go shola for pure mileage in the genre

If you choose a 303 get the tt303

It's less than the Roland and sounds a hell of a lot better and believe it or not will do a lot more , it doesn't have its own crappy fx though
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I'd go shola for pure mileage in the genre

If you choose a 303 get the tt303

It's less than the Roland and sounds a hell of a lot better and believe it or not will do a lot more , it doesn't have its own crappy fx though
Never tried that one.
But Roland fx are essential if you want this kind of sound.
This tt303 comes without fx or has effects on his own, different from the original one?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yeah I have a novation nova desktop, i think it was made in 1999 or so but it's still a great great synth in my opinion.
Especially if you want to tweak your sounds live, you have an.immediate control with all dedicated buttons and.knobs which makes it fast and powerful to play.
I have it too. Truely suitable for live. The modulation matrix is really good for arpeggiated stuff. The guy who sold this to me said that it was based on Bass Station 1. I think it beats BS2, but those pots are starting to die from these laptop models. You need to be chip-tuner and know how to replace them to be sure that buying one would be worth.

Anyway, my favorite synth. But sometimes I see dreams of Supernova 2. You probably know what I mean.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Dave View Post
I have it too. Truely suitable for live. The modulation matrix is really good for arpeggiated stuff. The guy who sold this to me said that it was based on Bass Station 1. I think it beats BS2, but those pots are starting to die from these laptop models. You need to be chip-tuner and know how to replace them to be sure that buying one would be worth.

Anyway, my favorite synth. But sometimes I see dreams of Supernova 2. You probably know what I mean. ?
My Nova desktop is fine.
I clean it sometimes with CRC for electronic.components and the pots are working good.
One encoder works not good but it's the one to.choose presets and you can do it with buttons so it's ok.
Yeah, I would love a modern Supernova, small and to.put on a table, that would be great.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

thanks for all answers i really appreciate this im guess i'll buy a TT303 if will find this type of synth in my country if i not i'll buy a TB-03 will see
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
About those broken encoders in Nova Laptop. Today Novation contacted me and guess what?!?

They are trying to send to me those encoders!!! And they asked me to be in contact to one shop near my home that is able to fix my laptop cheap. Now that is some good customer service. I'm falling in love with this company.

Anyway, admtrshnk, have some good time with your synths when you get them. I hope you find good deal and have much time to have fun with it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never tried that one.
But Roland fx are essential if you want this kind of sound.
This tt303 comes without fx or has effects on his own, different from the original one?
No fx in TT but as a little analogue 303 clone it rocks

Not sure why OP would need the Roland fx tbh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for all answers i really appreciate this im guess i'll buy a TT303 if will find this type of synth in my country if i not i'll buy a TB-03 will see
If you can't find in your country I suggest you go to cyclone website direct as they will ship to you

They are also on eBay

Good luck in the hunt
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'd go Bass Station II. That is one super versatile synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

when i had the volca kick i had instant techno and it was also capable of some really experimental sounds . just wanted to throw out a curveball. want to pick up another one of these i miss it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search