The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Why no modern clones of classic Korg KR/Minipops Drum Machines?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Why no modern clones of classic Korg KR/Minipops Drum Machines?

Ok, all Korg drum machines were crap. ...apparently. ? (DDD-1/DDM-110 perhaps yes)

This didn't stop JMJ, DM & quite a few others using them back in the day. (I have seen that the KR series was used quite a bit by 80's electronic acts. To my ears the individual sounds of the KR series are excellent and would work well if recreated on a programmable h/w platform like the Cyclone TT boxes.

The Minipops, KR-55 really do sound great to me.. I was considering the TT-78 as it has a similar vibe to those Korg machines, but I would prefer an actual modern Korg rendition that wasn't a software product.

Am I the only one who would like to see something like this?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I wouldn't need it, but I agree; the classic Korg drum machines deserve just as much recognition as other vintage drum synths given wide attention here.

I'd love to see the KR-55 and (Roland) CR-78 resurrected, and not just for the sounds, but for the way of being with them, their physical presence.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 

The KR-55 wouldn't be hard, although it would have to be partly modified if you want accents. Older ones are more difficult because they use inductors, which aren't common anymore. And in a lot of cases you can't really do anything to modify the sounds.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mildheadwound's Avatar
Am i missing something? Korg has recent hardware drum machines like this, including a current KR-55;

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr_mini/

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr55pro/
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Am i missing something? Korg has recent hardware drum machines like this, including a current KR-55;

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr_mini/

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr55pro/
Beat me to it. I'm guessing OP will say it's not analog though.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
the_soulcatcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Am i missing something? Korg has recent hardware drum machines like this, including a current KR-55;

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr_mini/

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr55pro/
yes you do indeed.
the discussion is about the vintage drum tones by Korg which aren't reproducable with their current machines at all
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Beat me to it. I'm guessing OP will say it's not analog though.
They're not analog, and also they completely suck.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
They're not analog, and also they completely suck.
Do they really though?
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Do they really though?
I can't think of anything they'd be useful for, other than practice or solo guitarists at open mic nights. It's like suggesting a Roland CR-1000 (basically a TR-505 with only preset patterns) as a substitute for a CR-78.

Last edited by acreil; 6 days ago at 07:22 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Am i missing something? Korg has recent hardware drum machines like this, including a current KR-55;

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr_mini/

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/drums/kr55pro/
The new Korg KR55 has absolutely nothing to do with the original KR other than having preset rhythms. It does not have any of sounds of the original.

I'm suggesting a machine (similar to the Cyclone TT series) that recreates the sounds, but also let you program patterns yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Beat me to it. I'm guessing OP will say it's not analog though.
Correct. Its not analogue and is an entirely different machine.
Old 6 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
mildheadwound's Avatar
These ‘classic’ machines only had dated patterns, and volume controls. Who cares if they were analogue, if all you could change is the volume? They could literally be replaced with an iphone app, that has samples.

I understand the advantages of analogue drums, but the units mentioned, are so old/limited/sh!t-sounding, (without modding), they can’t even begin to take advantage of modern analogue drums, which, in my opinion, if had every control, other then volume removed, would still beat these crap machines, into the pavement. - They had consumer grade amps, from the 80’s, (technology from the cusp of 40 years ago), and latin dance rhythms from the 50’s, (drum beats from almost 70 years ago). Have you even heard them in context outside of a poor man’s rhumba?

They’ve also been sampled to death, which is no real challenge considering each drum hit, is all it is!

Now if someone made even a close to valid argument, about the newer models, like the KR-55 pro not even having midi input, then that would at least begin make sense. But nostalgia as an argument? That’s how screwball religions got propagated, and look how that’s working out these days.
Old 6 days ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
These ‘classic’ machines only had dated patterns, and volume controls. Who cares if they were analogue, if all you could change is the volume? They could literally be replaced with an iphone app, that has samples.

I understand the advantages of analogue drums, but the units mentioned, are so old/limited/sh!t-sounding, (without modding), they can’t even begin to take advantage of modern analogue drums, which, in my opinion, if had every control, other then volume removed, would still beat these crap machines, into the pavement. - They had consumer grade amps, from the 80’s, (technology from the cusp of 40 years ago), and latin dance rhythms from the 50’s, (drum beats from almost 70 years ago). Have you even heard them in context outside of a poor man’s rhumba?

They’ve also been sampled to death, which is no real challenge considering each drum hit, is all it is!

Now if someone made even a close to valid argument, about the newer models, like the KR-55 pro not even having midi input, then that would at least begin make sense. But nostalgia as an argument? That’s how screwball religions got propagated, and look how that’s working out these days.
No offence, but did you actually read what I wrote? I was suggesting a clone with these sounds (that a lot of us 'do' like) but with programmability (like the Cyclone boxes). I never mentioned them having the preset rhythms.
Old 6 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
badmark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
No offence, but did you actually read what I wrote? I was suggesting a clone with these sounds (that a lot of us 'do' like) but with programmability (like the Cyclone boxes). I never mentioned them having the preset rhythms.
That's not really a clone then, any more than the new Korg KR box is. Might as well just get a Volca Sample and load it up.
Old 6 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
mildheadwound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
No offence... like the Cyclone boxes).
Haha no offence ever... i did read it but ranted anyways. ‘Sorry for that. That Cyclone stuff does look very cool; they kinda fell off my radar. They have an updated cr78 clone which would be pretty wild, i would have to agree.
Old 6 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

The Minipops 7 is one of the best analog drum machine ever!!
Also worth mentioning the KPR77 when talking about Korg and/or analog drum machines in general. I personnaly prefer it to the KR55, there is a woody/raw/lo-fi quality to it.
Old 6 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
That Cyclone stuff does look very cool; they kinda fell off my radar. They have an updated cr78 clone which would be pretty wild, i would have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
The Minipops 7 is one of the best analog drum machine ever!!
Also worth mentioning the KPR77 when talking about Korg and/or analog drum machines in general. I personnaly prefer it to the KR55, there is a woody/raw/lo-fi quality to it.
Cyclone, or anyone associated, if you are reading this, a TT KR55/Minipops 7 would be a nice addition to your range. (and don't forget the Quijada!)


@ Madd Anju . Yes I think the poor old KPR-77 isn't a bad analog drum machine. Only thing is, those guys on YT who went inside and tweaked the sounds/trimmers made it sound sooooo much better.
Old 6 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Ok, all Korg drum machines were crap. ...apparently. ? (DDD-1/DDM-110 perhaps yes)

This didn't stop JMJ, DM & quite a few others using them back in the day. (I have seen that the KR series was used quite a bit by 80's electronic acts. To my ears the individual sounds of the KR series are excellent and would work well if recreated on a programmable h/w platform like the Cyclone TT boxes.

The Minipops, KR-55 really do sound great to me.. I was considering the TT-78 as it has a similar vibe to those Korg machines, but I would prefer an actual modern Korg rendition that wasn't a software product.

Am I the only one who would like to see something like this?
What's a Volca Beats, then?
Old 6 days ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
What's a Volca Beats, then?
Something that sounds absolutely nothing like a KR/Minipops and missing half the instruments that made it so cool in the first place?

This is what I'm getting at.

This but with the KR/Minipops sounds in.

Old 6 days ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Oh, I hear you there, and raise you a Univox-branded SR-55:

Old 6 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
These ‘classic’ machines only had dated patterns, and volume controls. Who cares if they were analogue, if all you could change is the volume? They could literally be replaced with an iphone app, that has samples.

I understand the advantages of analogue drums, but the units mentioned, are so old/limited/sh!t-sounding, (without modding), they can’t even begin to take advantage of modern analogue drums, which, in my opinion, if had every control, other then volume removed, would still beat these crap machines, into the pavement. - They had consumer grade amps, from the 80’s, (technology from the cusp of 40 years ago), and latin dance rhythms from the 50’s, (drum beats from almost 70 years ago). Have you even heard them in context outside of a poor man’s rhumba?

They’ve also been sampled to death, which is no real challenge considering each drum hit, is all it is!

Now if someone made even a close to valid argument, about the newer models, like the KR-55 pro not even having midi input, then that would at least begin make sense. But nostalgia as an argument? That’s how screwball religions got propagated, and look how that’s working out these days.
Finally. Well said. The old Korgs had analog
outputs but they still just played back
crappy samples. Arturia includes Korg
drum machines in Spark..why not just get
that?

The only reason any artist used any
drum machine was because that’s all
they had available to them at the time
they did their records. If something
like Superior Drummer 3 had existed at
that time, they would have loved it and
would have used it .

Not a nostalgic fan of old crap drum
machines here.
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Gear Maniac
On its init settings the Korg er-1’s synth parts sound a lot like one of those old machines (rather than something like an 808 or 909) - which sort of makes the er-1 able to sound like a mini pops that’s been circuit bent by a madman.

It’s a real shame that the er-1 doesn’t just have 8 synth parts rather than just 4, with the 4 (kinda bland) sampled parts which it has as well. Because you can synth some pretty good metallic sounds with the noise & ring mod, so no need for hihat and cymbal samples really. They’d be highly sought after today if that was the case. 8 synth parts and individual outs and I bet it’d be almost as coveted as the 80’s Rolands are.
Old 6 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
acreil's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
I understand the advantages of analogue drums, but the units mentioned, are so old/limited/sh!t-sounding, (without modding), they can’t even begin to take advantage of modern analogue drums, which, in my opinion, if had every control, other then volume removed, would still beat these crap machines, into the pavement. - They had consumer grade amps, from the 80’s, (technology from the cusp of 40 years ago), and latin dance rhythms from the 50’s, (drum beats from almost 70 years ago). Have you even heard them in context outside of a poor man’s rhumba?
They're as useful as the user is creative. Plenty of people have put them to good use.

Quote:
They’ve also been sampled to death, which is no real challenge considering each drum hit, is all it is!
So have the 808, 909, etc. Why would anyone want those?

Quote:
Now if someone made even a close to valid argument, about the newer models, like the KR-55 pro not even having midi input, then that would at least begin make sense. But nostalgia as an argument? That’s how screwball religions got propagated, and look how that’s working out these days.
You can say the same about all analog or vintage gear.
Old 5 days ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
The only reason any artist used any
drum machine was because that’s all
they had available to them at the time
they did their records. If something
like Superior Drummer 3 had existed at
that time, they would have loved it and
would have used it .

Not a nostalgic fan of old crap drum
machines here.
Yep, all those hip hop bands used 808's because they were so cheap, that is true. What a mistake that was. Bet they are all kicking themselves now after reading your view.

...and of course JMJ was so poor he could only afford a Minipops 7...... and a Fairlight, CS80, Memorymoog, JP8 etc etc,
Old 5 days ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

I don't really know why anyone would bother. You might as well ask for a brand new analog drum machine rather than resurrect a crusty old Bossa-Nova preset box. For all the hype, analog drum machines--even the ones that aren't preset-pattern crap from the 70's--are pretty static with limited editing. I suppose that appeals to people who don't want to fuss with their sounds too much, but that's an expensive, limited palette of sounds IMO.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump