The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
mac book midi outs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

mac book midi outs

hi, i would like to add 4 midi out ports (din sockets) for my macbook, whats the cheapest way of doing this?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

ive got a roland sbx1 which has a midi out port, is it as simple as adding a midi thru interface to the midi out of the sbx1 ??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cheapest way is not the best way. A MIDI thru means that you need to think about MIDI channels, whereas with 4 real outputs driving 4 pieces of hardware you can leave all of them on channel 1 and you know that MIDI out 1 controls synth 1 , etc. Also it means that each synth only gets the MIDI data that is meant for it and doesnt have to deal with anything else.

The best USB 2 MIDI interfaces for Mac are by Edirol or ESI as they support MIDI timestamping... but not the cable type, the box type with at least 4 outputs.

If you're just getting started on a tight budget, a MIDI thru box will do the job- it's just a bit more hassle to set up and keep track of what's going on. If you have 4 pieces of hardware you should be able to afford a 4-output MIDI interface- don't cut corners on this as troubleshooting MIDI is a real creativity killer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Why do you want 4 MIDI ports?

For four Devices? Or for more than four? How many midi devices are you trying to hook up?

The answer will affect whether or not your Sbx1 and a Thru box is sufficient.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Tr909, sh101 with midi retrofit, jd990, analogue solutions leipzig
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Has midisport 4x4 got time stamp
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG UNIT View Post
Tr909, sh101 with midi retrofit, jd990, analogue solutions leipzig
Oh, then just a nice Thru box added to your Sbx1 will do the trick.

You're still limited to 16 channels even after adding the Thru box, but with only 4 devices that won't be an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG UNIT View Post
Has midisport 4x4 got time stamp

I'm not sure but I have the 2x2 and it's good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i would just buy the new esi m4u-ex. i couldn't be happier with mine. rock solid, used it a few times live, never had an issue with it. it also has different modes, standalone operation and each port can be an input or output depending on what you plug in. more than worth the money (and it's not even that pricey either)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

They're in the back. Look harder.
Old 5 days ago
You only need one output really

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search