The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MIDI Interface in 2019?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Looks like Thomann no longer sells ESI's USB 2 interfaces. I heard that ESI dropped the MIDI timestamping support on the new USB 3 interfaces???

My ESI USB 2 M4UXT is really good, better timing than the iconnectivity mio4 on my Mac system.
Wrote to ESi support about ESI M8U eX, they claim it supports MIDI timestamping. No reply about bitter jitter.
Old 5 days ago
Hey thanks for mentioning Expert Sleepers by the way haha. I went to check out what MIDI interfaces they have now (thought it was all cv-midi stuff) and found out they updated my SilentWay and moved to iLok last month hehe. You guys just cost me $4 to upgrade my license! :D
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Got my ESI M4Uex today. So far seems rock solid, driving my korg Mini XD, roland system 1m and Behr Model D.

Build seems good, worked straight away no faffing or installing anything just plugged it in.

Only thing i cant seem to work out or think is possible as using it as a hub with my ilok plugged in the ilok isnt being seen by the MAC. Need to do some digging on that.

Also I updated NI Reaktor to latest version as could never get it to send midi before and now its working with the ESI so i can use reaktor as a midi plugin in logic X and use the sequencers like the Kodiak ones driving the system 1 in plugout sh101 mode and the Boog. Utterly rock solid timing and awesome fun.

*** EDIT got the hub bit working, helps if you actually plug the ilok right the way in sigggggh : ) )

Last edited by digital 1010; 4 days ago at 07:44 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Sounds great digital 1010, I'll probably wait for the rackmount to drop before I purchase unless I get entirely convinced.

By the way, are you using any gear connected in series or does all gear have a dedicated port?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sry View Post
Sounds great digital 1010, I'll probably wait for the rackmount to drop before I purchase unless I get entirely convinced.

By the way, are you using any gear connected in series or does all gear have a dedicated port?
Separate mate - on that unit I have my ilok in 1 of the spare usb hub ports then I’m only using the 4 rear midi ports at moment 1 to my Korg mini xd, 1 to the behr model D and then 2 for in and out to my system 1. It’s clever how the ports can be used in or out. My other stuff is on usb over midi in other ports or not connected via midi. So far not a single issue at all. Will max it out at 1 point and see if any issues.

I also have an expert sleepers es3 connected via adat in a rack for sending cv to stuff from NI Reaktor.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I have a Mio10, and I’m very glad I went that route. I was previously using a couple of Emagic units (which were great and I need to sell, but who knows, I may want them around for something) and only upgraded because of the flexibility of the Mio10.

First, my criticism: the software is a bit of a head scratcher. Even coming back to it after 6 months I still find I need to watch a refresher video. It’s not that bad, but just seems a little counterintuitive to me until I realign in iConnectivity’s model. Also, the weekend mine arrived I was unable to set it up because of a glitch with their software and their server, which is just sort of one of those things that could happen with any software in 2019. I wouldn’t use any of these things as a reason not to get one tho.

What it does give me is some mad flexibility with the crazy routing in my hybrid setup. The headaches it solves for me are far more important than my slight annoyances. It’s a complex unit that requires some intent for maximum use, but it’s not so complicated that you need to spend more than 30 minutes to an hour reprogramming your rig. It makes it very easy to merge and filter midi data once you get a handle on it.
Old 2 days ago
Wait a minute.. What was the deal with their server? Sounds like Im not getting a Mio if anything like that is involved with it. Sorry folks, my MIDI interface needs to outlive your "here today, went broke tomorrow, your stuff doesn't work now" software company.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I agree the Alysium is not an easy setup. The older units they don't make any more use copperlan. With the copperlan you get the very low lag and jitter. Luckly I just had a turnkey computer done for me with a 4 outlet network card. So I did not have to mess with setting that up. Needed one for AL88, One for Nucleus, one for updates, and one for future Daunte use. Don't know if the new USB units are as good.

If you want easy and solid, I suggest the Edirol, err...Roland UM3X units. Jitter is not bad, it's fast, solid, and can daisy chain up to 3 of them together. 3 of them take up one rack space.

I was not aware of the ESI stuff till this thread. I would like to hear more about them.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Wait a minute.. What was the deal with their server? Sounds like Im not getting a Mio if anything like that is involved with it. Sorry folks, my MIDI interface needs to outlive your "here today, went broke tomorrow, your stuff doesn't work now" software company.
I shouldn’t have said anything...but since I did...iConnectivity had a fix within like 32 hours, and I emailed them after business hours on a weekend. But yes, I was SOL for a moment due to a software issue that prevented me from configuring the untit. It can happen, and I don’t think anyone looking at gear in 2019 should be shocked that it can happen (fwiw this was in 2017 or so, pretty early). In general, if you’re buying any gear with a software component I don’t think you should be shocked if a glitch happens...what matters is how quickly it’s resolved. That one slight setback doesn’t change my positive review of the unit.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I shouldn’t have said anything...but since I did...iConnectivity had a fix within like 32 hours, and I emailed them after business hours on a weekend. But yes, I was SOL for a moment due to a software issue that prevented me from configuring the untit. It can happen, and I don’t think anyone looking at gear in 2019 should be shocked that it can happen (fwiw this was in 2017 or so, pretty early). In general, if you’re buying any gear with a software component I don’t think you should be shocked if a glitch happens...what matters is how quickly it’s resolved. That one slight setback doesn’t change my positive review of the unit.
Software is one thing, obviously my Emagic needs it too (thank god Apple hasn't killed it completely yet). But if the device requires a remote server to even configure then yeah thats gonna be a BIG deal breaker for anything pretty much, especially what is supposed to be a somewhat permanent piece of hardware. Which reminds me, Ive been meaning to look into getting an iLok key to move my software licenses off the computer as well hehe.

Im sure one day Akai is going to stop developing this MPC Software Im using, but the MPC itself will still work regardless of whether there is a computer involved or not. Thats what I need. Even disconnected from the computer, my AMT still functions, so does my MOTU audio interface (granted its just a fancy mixer at that point), and every synth I use.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search