The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What features would you like to see on a step sequencer?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrh View Post
2 words: song mode
Two more words: Set Mode
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Has anyone mentioned the possibility of software-modeling the TB-303 Accent in a more accurate way than anyone has done so far, Roland included? That would be an interesting challenge, one I think @ antto could help with.

There's an ancient post on Analogue Heaven that nails how it works, using ASCII art, as I vaguely recall.
What does this have to do with midi step sequencers ??
FYI , audio realism bassline just got an update , 3.2 , for even more improved accent behaviour
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just thought it would be an interesting feature to include in same, but perhaps not.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

if more than one sequencer (like the Beatstep Pro has 2), it would be cool if you could have one sequence transpose the other one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd like something pretty much like the Dark Time- but with 2 or maybe 3 rows of 16 steps. Simple, but fun to jam with.

Oberkorn was close (don't have one, mind), but to have the switching for every step like the Dark Time would be great.

I guess the answer would be to get 3 Dark Times, but that's a lot more wall warts etc...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i haven't read the whole thread, but i'm happy with my accent/envelopes model, what is that doing in a thread about step sequencers tho, when it's a modulation signal on the synth side of the 303
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well... a step sequencer can be a modulation signal, too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antto View Post
i haven't read the whole thread, but i'm happy with my accent/envelopes model, what is that doing in a thread about step sequencers tho, when it's a modulation signal on the synth side of the 303
i mentioned you further up in relation to the sequencer of the VB303 beta2, which had a great randomiser section - that you said you lost/messed up the code for. unfortunately, at that stage there was no midi out from that sequencer - which would have been great at the time. i liked the way it could randomise gate/pitch/slide/ key / etc. separately.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just thought it would be an interesting feature to include in same, but perhaps not.

SUre , 303 emulations like abl3 acces the accents when the midi velocity is above a certain range , but how the accent behaves on the filter envelope has zilch nadda to do with midi
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
-A couple of lanes of CC automation
-Programmable ratchet per step
these are my exact things! i love on my minibrute 2s how i can ratchet per step.. and my other gear must have motion sequencing. at least one or the other or pass
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well... a step sequencer can be a modulation signal, too.
Indeed.

I'm stretching my eurorack rig's legs today, seeing what sort of tomfoolery I can make happen with the Pithoprakta and my existing sources that take Triggers in (which isn't many), and at this very moment I have the following Sequencers running at once, doing the following, in a simple groove I'm working on:

BSP (Yellow): a 64beat simple bass line
BSP (Green): a corresponding 64beat lead line
BSP (Purple): a 64beat drum 6voice pattern for the 626
Muxlicer: 8beat CV for the DFAM VCA Decay
PatchPoints (top): 8beat CV for DFAM VCO Decay
PatchPoints (middle) 8beat CV for DFAM VCO FM
PatchPoints (bottom) 8beat CV for URA ClockFM
SQ-1: 16beat CV for Roland 510 VCO PWM
VolcaSample: ext Clock to its own beat Sequencer
PO33KO: ext Clock to its own beat Sequencer
Zillion: ext Clock for evolving, pitched, drone (TX7)

That's 11 distinct sequences (3x Melodic, 8x for Modulation) in a truly simple, laid back, slowly evolving, groove with "only" a few instruments, and it's not the least bit "busy" sounding or anything.

In reality, to do the things I'd like, including lots of live knob tweaking and fader pushing, I will ultimately need 3x my current capabilities, or more, speead across a few key Sequencers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ability to do 5/4, 7/4, 11/8, 6/4, etc. I’d love to have hardware where I could quickly program a pattern in other time signatures.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Two more words: Set Mode
What's that?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape View Post
What's that?
A way to group Songs into Sets, using many-to-many relationships between the two.

Being able to browse by Sets (groups of Songs, like a Playlist but more than that), in a specific order, that can be reordered easily, linked together, perhaps even some Set specific attributes, transitions, etc, and you can sort by, like duration, themes, tempo ranges, notes.

Imagine a musician in year 3 of writing and touring, now you've got three or more albums worth of tracks in your gear, and now you have a show, the third time youve played there over the years, and you're expected to play a few classics, a few deep cuts, and some new material, but different than last month in a neighboring city, and you have to keep up with this crap somehow..m

IME Song and Set constructs are helpful, maybe even crucial, once you have more than a few tracks and more than a few shows.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A way to group Songs into Sets, using many-to-many relationships between the two.

Being able to browse by Sets (groups of Songs, like a Playlist but more than that), in a specific order, that can be reordered easily, linked together, perhaps even some Set specific attributes, transitions, etc, and you can sort by, like duration, themes, tempo ranges, notes.

Imagine a musician in year 3 of writing and touring, now you've got three or more albums worth of tracks in your gear, and now you have a show, the third time youve played there over the years, and you're expected to play a few classics, a few deep cuts, and some new material, but different than last month in a neighboring city, and you have to keep up with this crap somehow..m

IME Song and Set constructs are helpful, maybe even crucial, once you have more than a few tracks and more than a few shows.
Generally agree; however most of us struggle to get one song done, hence the greater focus on track/part/song design.

It's nice to be able to control the level of complexity of a tool (similar to Eventide's old 'expert vs. regular' edit modes) so that you can zoom up to a higher level to look at songs/sets and also to zoom down in to look at specific tracks. Same with the x axis -- being able to look at a specific measure/beat across tracks and then zoom out to see a whole part/song is a nice capability.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Generally agree; however most of us struggle to get one song done, hence the greater focus on track/part/song design.

It's nice to be able to control the level of complexity of a tool (similar to Eventide's old 'expert vs. regular' edit modes) so that you can zoom up to a higher level to look at songs/sets and also to zoom down in to look at specific tracks. Same with the x axis -- being able to look at a specific measure/beat across tracks and then zoom out to see a whole part/song is a nice capability.
For sure.

All sorts of other software and hardware easily handles the traversing of multiple layers of abstraction. I've built quite a bit of it, myself. Programmatically it's nearly trivial, and isn't especially difficult from a UI/UX perspective either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For sure.

All sorts of other software and hardware easily handles the traversing of multiple layers of abstraction. I've built quite a bit of it, myself. Programmatically it's nearly trivial, and isn't especially difficult from a UI/UX perspective either.
You say that, but my experiences in hw is more like a hard context switch every time I go from a track to a song. Arranger mode on the Elektron devices, tracks/parts/sets/songs on the Cirklon, even phrases/tracks to songs on the QY-700 all involve a major switch in the UI. I never successfully wrapped my head around the Pyramid's approach of (in essence) sequencing mutes to create a song.

It rarely seems built-in to the process. I would think if there was a hw box that was basically always in song mode (kind of like how some Waldorf gear is always in multi-timbral mode even with 1 preset loaded) that let you move into a track, loop an arbitrary section, and jump around quickly it would flow much better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'n addition to normal 'XOX mode' there will be 'SQL mode' so that you can run SQL queries per step.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape View Post
I'n addition to normal 'XOX mode' there will be 'SQL mode' so that you can run SQL queries per step.

Can I connect with TOAD or Enterprise Manager?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search