The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
does the genre trance still exist?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
mekanik's Avatar
 

does the genre trance still exist?

i remember listening to this maybe 10-15 years ago. and doing lots of x. good times. so i just wanted know if this genre still is alive?

i dont listen much to trance these days and i dont do much x either. maybe thats why. i would probably **** my pants these days if i did some real x.
and diapers aint my thing.

if this still exist. can someone post examples, maybe artists, that do trance these days.

completely out of the loop...

kthnxby.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

It's hiding under the Shift key.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Good years indeed. Late 90's early 2000's, Hard Trance and Schranz was in full swing. Uberdreck, Organ Donors, Alphazone, Kai Tracid, Captain Tinrib, the Weirdo, Nick Sentience. I have many records from that era.

To answer the question, yeah people still are putting that stuff out, but it's not that popular of a genre anymore. I can't find it at the moment, but Chris Liberator was running an online record store a few years back that was pumping out quality hard acid trance on vinyl.



Old 1 week ago
  #4
Examples of new stuff that I like can be found on these labels: Iboga, Spin Twist, Blue Tunes, 432 Records. Artist on there include Symphonix, Day.Din, Interactive, Noise, Coming Soon, Unseen Dimensions, Morten Granau, Major 7, Ghost Rider, Ruback,

There is a lot of progressive psy coming out on these labels too, but there is some decent "progressive" trance on there. Don't let the word progressive fool you. It's not the total cheese "progressive" from the early 2000's.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Definitely going strong.

Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 



Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Not only does it still exit but it is big business in Europe, and 90% of it is formulaic garbage, like all commercial genres. Of the remaining 10%, the 9% is just annoying and the 1% can be fun for half an hour.

I call it sigh trance. An execrable perversion of the acid trance stuff that came out of the UK in the 90s by the likes of Eat Static. Most of it now made by formula in a DAW by people who do more coke than psychedelics, and a popular soundtrack for Israeli soldiers shooting unarmed kids in Gaza.

Extremely unsuitable for psychedelic experiences.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
Some of my favourite nights in recent years have been outdoor psytrance raves. It’s more 2cb than E these days. Although I’m sure there’s still plenty of E’s there.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
When I listen to the latest TIP music I'm up dancing round the room like the old days (1990ish)...trance is eternal...it's always happening somewhere all the time.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

is that our Rob?

10-15 yr? more like 20+ :-D

i wonder if it can progress more. the same themes keep coming back.
there was a progression from 'goa' to 'psy', but beyond that ?
i feel it's still pretty much where it was at ten years ago, from titbits i hear.
(but i don't get out so i wouldn't know)
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Not only does it still exit but it is big business in Europe, and 90% of it is formulaic garbage, like all commercial genres. Of the remaining 10%, the 9% is just annoying and the 1% can be fun for half an hour.

I call it sigh trance. An execrable perversion of the acid trance stuff that came out of the UK in the 90s by the likes of Eat Static. Most of it now made by formula in a DAW by people who do more coke than psychedelics, and a popular soundtrack for Israeli soldiers shooting unarmed kids in Gaza.

Extremely unsuitable for psychedelic experiences.
What music do you listen too if you want to dance at an all night/day party?Genuinely interested.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...
zeeeeee-aoooowwww. TISSSHHH (wooosh)
"hey, i think i'm feeling...a biiiit weeeeeeiiiiiiirrrrd"
(drumroll) (and off we go...) TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH
BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...

Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...
zeeeeee-aoooowwww. TISSSHHH (wooosh)
"hey, i think i'm feeling...a biiiit weeeeeeiiiiiiirrrrd"
(drumroll) (and off we go...) TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH
BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...

If it keeps you up all night........
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Not only does it still exit but it is big business in Europe, and 90% of it is formulaic garbage, like all commercial genres. Of the remaining 10%, the 9% is just annoying and the 1% can be fun for half an hour.

I call it sigh trance. An execrable perversion of the acid trance stuff that came out of the UK in the 90s by the likes of Eat Static. Most of it now made by formula in a DAW by people who do more coke than psychedelics, and a popular soundtrack for Israeli soldiers shooting unarmed kids in Gaza.

Extremely unsuitable for psychedelic experiences.
Recent psy festivals I have been to over the last few years are great. If you were listening to Eat Static and Ozric Tentacles in their heyday, you must be close to my age. So what are you listening to these days? Every other year or so, take a vacation with a group and attend a psy festival. They have good people, it's a great vibe. The music sounds great. It's not a 90's vibe for sure, but I don't think it is overly commercial (not like EDC). Nor have I an encountered in inordinate amount of jerks there. Just my personal experience.

These "totally" look like unpleasant psychedelic experiences.




Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
chaocrator's Avatar
yes, it still exists in 2 forms — most commercial (eurotrance) & most underground (psy).
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 

psy+Warp would be a nice progression.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Not only does it still exit but it is big business in Europe, and 90% of it is formulaic garbage, like all commercial genres. Of the remaining 10%, the 9% is just annoying and the 1% can be fun for half an hour.

I call it sigh trance. An execrable perversion of the acid trance stuff that came out of the UK in the 90s by the likes of Eat Static. Most of it now made by formula in a DAW by people who do more coke than psychedelics, and a popular soundtrack for Israeli soldiers shooting unarmed kids in Gaza.

Extremely unsuitable for psychedelic experiences.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Recent psy festivals I have been to over the last few years are great. If you were listening to Eat Static and Ozric Tentacles in their heyday, you must be close to my age. So what are you listening to these days? Every other year or so, take a vacation with a group and attend a psy festival. They have good people, it's a great vibe. The music sounds great. It's not a 90's vibe for sure, but I don't think it is overly commercial (not like EDC). Nor have I an encountered in inordinate amount of jerks there. Just my personal experience.

These "totally" look like unpleasant psychedelic experiences.




Thank you! My girlfriend and I have have been listening to the Astrix at Boom festival in SONOS though the house since you posted. My old bass player is from Portugal so we might have to visit this one ...

Edit - We were at Eat Static in the Glade for the umpteenth time at Glastonbury this year ... quite a mid point to a night which started early and finished much ... much later

Later edit - Now finishing the night with Miles Davis after that ... what great evening in - thank you.

Last edited by dr_Jezz; 1 week ago at 10:40 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Took me a while, but I knew I had this link. For those of you bummed that 90's are over, fear not. There are still some torchbearers of some good ol' acid trance.

https://stayupforever.com/

You can now feed your addiction for newly-released authentic acid trance. You can even dust off your 1200's and get it on vinyl.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
You got it all wrong, those aren't hipsters. Hipsters listen to techno.

Old 1 week ago
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule_in_space View Post
didn't want to step on anybody's toes, but Boom festival is everything else than underground, I hope we can agree.
I was joking man! I don't care whether it's underground or not. It looks like a good party and the psy festivals Ive been to in the last few years are good parties. People can have their own opinions about the state of trance and the trance culture...or anything else for that matter, this board would be kinda pointless otherwise.



Old 1 week ago
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...
zeeeeee-aoooowwww. TISSSHHH (wooosh)
"hey, i think i'm feeling...a biiiit weeeeeeiiiiiiirrrrd"
(drumroll) (and off we go...) TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH TISSSHHH
BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada BOOm dada da dada da dada da dada ...

Chrome Room @ Guvernment circa 2007

Or Rebel at 2h30 on a Saturday night.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I have never, not even once,.. thought that psytrance was even remotely linked to 'trance'..?? the two crowds are so different it's not funny.. because the same word is used in the genre title doesn't mean they are in anyway similar.. dub step and dub for example.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
mutilatedlip's Avatar
Luminosity Beach Festival is a great annual event.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I have never, not even once,.. thought that psytrance was even remotely linked to 'trance'..?? the two crowds are so different it's not funny.. because the same word is used in the genre title doesn't mean they are in anyway similar.. dub step and dub for example.
If you go back in time, I think there are definitely reasons for saying they are similar. For instance, some of the biggest classics in the trance genre, like "Over Bloody Flood" by Blue Planet Corporation or "Spiritual Energy" by Afrotrance. A lot of the stuff on Harthouse are somewhere in between techno, trance and psytrance, I would say.

Last edited by Perplexo; 1 week ago at 07:38 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Gear Head
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Dance music genres never die.... they just change the name and claim it’s a new style.
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Gear Head
 
ModMatrix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
You got it all wrong, those aren't hipsters. Hipsters listen to techno.
I’ve been called a lot things in my day, but hipster is not one of them.

I have Techno records older than most hipsters. Who knew that for all these decades I was really a techno hipster
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipsMcgee View Post
I use the Studio One DAW... The problem with trance is indeed that it is formulaic and relatively basic in sound.

Take for instance in the PreSonus store https://shop.presonus.com/Loopmasters-Psytrance-Pulse

Psytrance-Pulse samples... Those are samples you just drag and drop into your DAW. You drag and drop 4 samples in and you pretty much have a feasible song going for at least 1-2 minutes. Just checkout the demo.
You could do that with the eJay series 20 years ago.
It totally sucks, of course.
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Can't you all just ignore the troll and continue to discuss trance?

If anyone wants some good modern progressive trance, I'd highly recommend the Pure Trance series of compilations. Some great stuff on there.
Is it this series?:
https://puretrance.com/

Gonna check it out! Thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Yeah the Solarstone's Pure Trance radio series is good. Gets a little fluffy for me at times, but it has lots of great tunes on there. Sadly, if you want to know the state of trance, look at the views. It's a shame, there is some quality music on the show.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump