The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
does the genre trance still exist?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Just out of interest, is anyone here an active clubber, part of the scene, a producer outside or their bedroom or actually involved in modern dance music?
Yes, most likely to be found at The White Hotel in Manchester, most likely party Drøne. Techno with an industrial leaning though, not been to a Psy party in a very long time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Very cool track, but I don't know that I'd call that trance really.
Agree, seems more along the techno side of things. Tight stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
Ok, did I try to take something away from the original mix?

Later on progressive house tracks were longer and drawn out,I guess as the scene became more minimal I can see how it might be perceived as boring. You might have been out of the scene then, but there was quality progressive coming out until about 2005. I've been listening to prog since about 97, I've never heard a track quite like this.

I also grew up with sasha, digweed and bt, I first heard this track on a deep dish compilation ... seems like when I came into this stuff you were on your way out, so our views are probably gonna be different. That solar plexus remix is definitive prog house for that time tho, whether or not you consider it prog.
Sorry man, I didnt realise it was your remix.

One man's progressive is another man's regressive I guess, so to me doesnt nake any sense. It's kind of the new electro scene when it lost its 808 break patterns for a ooomp tish ommmp tish kick and snare, or when hardcore turned into non breaks.

Maybe new genres should replace old genres and it wouldn't annoy the old timers that dont think the genres fit the style anymore.

I needed bringing down a peg or 2 with a genre I dont understand anymore.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Ah, just had a thought. I was listening to James Lavelle Global Underground session Barcelona mix on the way to work. That is from 2002 and very progressive in that it gives you those 'Wow ' moments that progressive music had. Its pushing music to the boundaries. That to me defines what progressiv means, or at least should mean.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There's no real sense in resisting the evolving nature of Genre definitions. It happens naturally, in too many places, with no centralized control or authority; it is, sadly, inevitable and unstoppable.

May as well try to push a puddle of water up a hill.

I end up only caring about Genre labels and definitions in so far as it's necessary to shop, categorize at home, and occasionally discuss.

Generally I find them all more annoying than helpful. It's all "stuff I like" to me, either chill, or heavy, or basic descriptions like that.

I want vibes and moods, and those things cross over multiple genres, and are more fluid. And because discussing things like "French Acid Goa Electro House Hop" is annoying and tedious.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah, annoying, but would be tedious hunting for records on discogs without order, categories, genres and sub genres.

At least you can search between years, but you might lose out on tracks categorized incorrectly. If a genre evolves into something that's different in sound to the original category, tas appears to have happened here. Then grumpy older dudes are allowed a little grumble about it once in a while, maybe.

Anyway, least said....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
Sorry man, I didnt realise it was your remix.
?

Quote:
One man's progressive is another man's regressive I guess, so to me doesnt nake any sense. It's kind of the new electro scene when it lost its 808 break patterns for a ooomp tish ommmp tish kick and snare, or when hardcore turned into non breaks.

Maybe new genres should replace old genres and it wouldn't annoy the old timers that dont think the genres fit the style anymore.

I needed bringing down a peg or 2 with a genre I dont understand anymore.
idk, i've always found the term progressive house kinda hard to define, always seemed to me there was a lot of crossover from house and trance.

maybe what i'm talking about is when prog house went 'mainstream' as late 90s prog and that big room trance sound was pretty big. we had the hey day, sasha's san francisco gu mix, then after a few years everything became more minimal, by 2005, the kids are all listening to electro and minimal techno and for the next 10 years the term progressive house became a dirty word. 90s music becomes popular again circa 2012, next thing i know there's prog again on beatport which sounds very similiar to the stuff we were listening to in the late 90s. is it still progressive house? f*cked if i know.

Quote:
Ah, just had a thought. I was listening to James Lavelle Global Underground session Barcelona mix on the way to work. That is from 2002 and very progressive in that it gives you those 'Wow ' moments that progressive music had. Its pushing music to the boundaries. That to me defines what progressiv means, or at least should mean.
i know exactly what you mean. lavelle's romania gu mix is another good example, i guess as time went on, everything became more formulaic, and we lost the 'wow'. even just the mishmash of different styles you could get in a mix changed, and the idea of the progressive mix became more of that 'seamless' mixing sound, as opposed to the different sounds you'd get in an older prog mix. one of the things i used to love about prog was how you could have prog house and breaks and all different styles mixed in together, where the mix was a real experience. the last time i got that was probably around 2003-2004.

but things changed, i mean if you look at sasha's involver mix from 2004, i think it's a progressive house mix, but i'd be hard pressed trying to define why that is. and also, there's obviously tracks in there that wouldn't be classed as progressive house blah blah blah

idk, i'm just rambling now. i think it makes sense our opinions are at odds given our background in this. i think we both understand the position we are coming from, and i value your input in helping create a broader picture for me of this music.

tldr
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, annoying, but would be tedious hunting for records on discogs without order, categories, genres and sub genres.

At least you can search between years, but you might lose out on tracks categorized incorrectly. If a genre evolves into something that's different in sound to the original category, tas appears to have happened here. Then grumpy older dudes are allowed a little grumble about it once in a while, maybe.

Anyway, least said....
dude, you want categories that make sense? do yourself a favour and DON'T go on beatport. those guys are cray cray ...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatflux View Post
The explanation I got from a professional song writer was that the BPM approximates the heart rate, so when hard drugs sped up your heart rate, people wanted higher BPM songs. Now that the amphetamines are less popular, people have stopped wanting the 130+ category as much.

Dubstep is technically 140, but people actually dance to it as half tempo, perhaps its all of that newly legalized weed.

Techno is becoming faster and faster again in Europe, just saying....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule_in_space View Post
In a couple of years we are here again:

God have merci on us

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search