The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
does the genre trance still exist?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
90s stuff is still my favorite.
and that 16th pulse always was there since mid 90s.
Well, it kindof started appearing here and there. But it wasn't as formulaic or standard as it has been since the 00s.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Just out of interest, is anyone here an active clubber, part of the scene, a producer outside or their bedroom or actually involved in modern dance music?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Just out of interest, is anyone here an active clubber, part of the scene, a producer outside or their bedroom or actually involved in modern dance music?
Define 'scene'.

But no, i have become jaded by the dance music world a long time ago.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
All these threads end like this.Its meant to be,RIP this thread //
Don't be like that . I love psytrance, but I still think it's funny to poke fun at its stereotypes and quirks. . I mean Jared Dines makes a career out of skewering metal genres. I think this thread will move get back on track and highlight current trance that we think is quality trance per the OP's question.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Don't be like that . I love psytrance, but I still think it's funny to poke fun at its stereotypes and quirks. . I mean Jared Dines makes a career out of skewering metal genres. I think this thread will move get back on track and highlight current trance that we think is quality trance per the OP's question.
That video you've posted kinda sealed the deal. Funny video but it's the truth. I remember there was a similar video about EDM. But no it's official now, you've killed this topic
Old 5 days ago
Nope I am innocent. Capsule posted it...I merely laughed at his joke, which was obviously made in poor taste *ahem* and for which I am deeply sorry.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats ok.Just heard it all before.Many many times.Not interested.Whats the point in saying "it was (only) great (maybe)years ago blahblahblah" I cant imagine anyone with an attitude like that making any good music.Because there stuck in the past.lol

I have to admit i cant stand most dance music including trance ect and would rather listen at home to classical.But there is still lots of great music out there now of course including trance (ectect) So why concentrate on the rubbish.rant over.
Old 5 days ago
In the spirit of new trance for us to listen to..hear is one I bought last week. This is a moody sort of minimal progressive piece, which is more and more of what I have been getting into over the last year or so.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Define 'scene'.

But no, i have become jaded by the dance music world a long time ago.
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I guess what I mean is easier to demo via explaining my own experiences.

I too thought dance died in the 90s, but started listening to some newer stuff generally under the label of techno.

A few times I've been to some club nights, and some dance gigs recently, and I'm blown away by the general attendance and eagerness for what we used to just call dance music in the 90s.

It is easy to get distracted by genre labels etc. but despite my own negativity, I'd have to say it seems stronger than ever with a nice mix of old school djs and producers and loads of amazing new ones.

I guess my point is, I thought it was dead and buried and I was past it, but boy was I wrong!

I'd highly recommend getting out there and experiencing it.

Motion in Bristol even do daytime raves, for us wrinklies.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. That's a succinctly perfect and accurate description of a completely non-genre. Well done.

In other news, this is one of my all time faves. Hooj Choons released some absolute bangers during the 90s.

Utter classic track that is

The festival i just went to had a PSY trance area and it was busy and banging 24/7

Old proper trance like the Marmion track isnt really about as much mainly possibly as tempos have really shifted over the years. House is really slow now compared to the 90's early 2000's and anything going over 128BPM has a quite techno feel about it. Even if you listen to Faithless some of their commercial tracks were like 130-135 BPM. I wonder if thats why (nostalgia apart) people miss the older stuff as the tempo is faster and it gets your feet tapping a bit more ??
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule_in_space View Post

I am out now anyway, don't want to offend or annoy people who are totally into psytrance just because I am not anymore
I like to live in the now and not reflect too much on the past.I was around that early trance scene to some extent and it bores the crap out of me.But i dont go posting about it.Maybe things have stagnated recently (or since the 90's lol) but there is a whole world of music being created always.And as this is a music production forum its best to keep things positive no?

edit-i dont make psy trance or commercial trance btw.I really dont care either way.Just know there's some good parties/music out there still if you know where to look.Sonically we are in a different (potentially) dimension.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You wouldn't call people who listen to Hendrix or Deep Purple stuck in the past just because they still like their music 40-50 years later, would you?
Erm...yes i would a lot of the time.They often dont seem to have the ability and be open enough to recieve and accept new experiences,And therefore miss all the current action
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
That video never gets old , it's only funny because it's true.
Sorry to say that, but while you get older and stuck in 90s trance only evolves and becomes better. Video demonstrates only how popular genre became (which means there's lot of cr*p now in genre with that "exactly the same vengeance sounds"). But there are still very good producers who's role in genre developement can't be underestimated.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshz View Post
Sorry to say that, but while you get older and stuck in 90s trance only evolves and becomes better. Video demonstrates only how popular genre became (which means there's lot of cr*p now in genre with that "exactly the same vengeance sounds"). But there are still very good producers who's role in genre developement can't be underestimated.
The video is a joke by LOUD. They applied all those formula's in their own music! It is very tongue-in-cheek. No need to take it too seriously.

Alistair
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule_in_space View Post
You are confusing appreciating old stuff by excluding being open to good new music just because someone thinks that a certain genre didn't evolve at all and is made from a single template since more than a decade. These 2 Astrix tracks I posted could be interchanged, it's the exact same sound, bass pattern, stabs, fx sounds, track build up and that's what I was referring to. I don't need to be open to new experiences since there is nothing new The problem is not accepting new experiences but getting bored by the same template music, big difference. There is even someone in this thread who writes that trance/psytrance/goa doesn't work without that "machinegun bassline"..

I appreciate artists like Simon Posford, old Hallucinogen to newer Younger Brother. He is someone who always tried to push things forward by not being lazy and using a 15 year old concept over and over again. There are a lot of newer artists I appreciate but I hardly can find something fresh in the psytrance genre, you're welcome to post some music to open my mind though instead of telling me that I lack the ability to be open enough to receive and accept new experiences
Astrix=tried and tested formular.Hes huge and altho the tracks are very well executed and produced its not my interest.What i gravitate to is music and artists who have not become jaded and sold out.They make music with the original spirit and imprint that with every fibre and that translates as energy.Im interested in energy.And i still find that because im open.But on the occations i do venture out into the night im only in strange magical enviroments where this thing lives.I cant comment on others experience.All i can say is if it was not for "trance' music i would not be up all night into the morning and beyond and ive been into this style (house/techno ect since 88) Simon Posford and Raja Ram ect wont be my DJs either,they had there moment before.Sometimes you have to put up with some cookie cutter djs until things start pickin up.I only really party in natural places in Goa ect for the last 15 years.But i know things are happening all over.Not a club or radio friendly thing tho.Anyway the internet is not the place to showcase this kinda thing lol.

Quote:
instead of telling me that I lack the ability to be open enough to receive and accept new experiences
I did not mean you.Just some cats that live in the past.When they were happy and free.Mission is to be that now.No excuses
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshz View Post
If you read my posts in the rest of the thread, it would be easy to see that I am a fan of modern progressive psy and psytrance, so what are you talking about?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
If you read my posts in the rest of the thread, it would be easy to see that I am a fan of modern progressive psy and psytrance, so what are you talking about?
Sorry if so.. I just see lots of opinions like that and it's sad, because I personally like what trance was and i like what it's now. IMO it's great that genre evolves.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The video is a joke by LOUD. They applied all those formula's in their own music! It is very tongue-in-cheek. No need to take it too seriously.

Alistair
I don't. It's my favourite video actually
I've just said, that genre is popular and when something is popular, there's really tons of sh*t.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

I loved trance when I was a teenager and it was getting a lot of radio play. It does seem like the newer trance has lost its spirit compared to the old stuff, but I'd love to have my mind changed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Utter classic track that is

The festival i just went to had a PSY trance area and it was busy and banging 24/7

Old proper trance like the Marmion track isnt really about as much mainly possibly as tempos have really shifted over the years. House is really slow now compared to the 90's early 2000's and anything going over 128BPM has a quite techno feel about it. Even if you listen to Faithless some of their commercial tracks were like 130-135 BPM. I wonder if thats why (nostalgia apart) people miss the older stuff as the tempo is faster and it gets your feet tapping a bit more ??
The explanation I got from a professional song writer was that the BPM approximates the heart rate, so when hard drugs sped up your heart rate, people wanted higher BPM songs. Now that the amphetamines are less popular, people have stopped wanting the 130+ category as much.

Dubstep is technically 140, but people actually dance to it as half tempo, perhaps its all of that newly legalized weed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

In Mexico 140+ BPM Psy Trance is super popular and there are dozens of big raves every year.

Here's the Soundcloud of a friend if you want to have a listen: https://soundcloud.com/DSPmx
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I guess what I mean is easier to demo via explaining my own experiences.

I too thought dance died in the 90s, but started listening to some newer stuff generally under the label of techno.

A few times I've been to some club nights, and some dance gigs recently, and I'm blown away by the general attendance and eagerness for what we used to just call dance music in the 90s.

It is easy to get distracted by genre labels etc. but despite my own negativity, I'd have to say it seems stronger than ever with a nice mix of old school djs and producers and loads of amazing new ones.

I guess my point is, I thought it was dead and buried and I was past it, but boy was I wrong!

I'd highly recommend getting out there and experiencing it.

Motion in Bristol even do daytime raves, for us wrinklies.
Agreed.

I'm doing simlar things in the US. Similar results.
Old 3 days ago
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco judas View Post

great track!
Very cool track, but I don't know that I'd call that trance really.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I'm not even sure if I know what Trance is. I just label it the stuff played by the hands in the air messiah complex djs pretending they're doing something with their mixers and every knob is like seriously hot, or wired to the electricity grid, hence the jerky hand movements when they touch a knob or fader.

I class this as track as progressive house, but some youtube comments label it as trance. Either way, I doubt it has ever been bettered since and this was released in 1992

Great track, the Masiello/Blades/Page remix is probably one of my favorite prog house tracks of all time

I do like some of the more recent stuff but when I think of trance I think more early/ mid 90s

Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
See, I don't regard that mix as progressive house. I find it boring and long winded whereas the original is incredible and instant and waaay ahead of it's time. You had Sasha, Digweed, BT and a few others creating and playing new stuff that made you lie awake replaying some of those tracks over and over when you got home after a party. They helped push the boundaries of production to the next level, but this sounds like a thousand other tracks, albeit with a few cool samples. Is it a tribal beat maybe? 2003 too. That means after 11 years, production, creativity and musicality went backwards.

That's my view anyway and we're each entitled to our views, but I lived through the rave scene (well from 1987 when I started collecting house records alongside metal, hip hop and electro, up until i'd dragged it out to death, around 97) and it was dynamic the music scene, especially the early days.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Always loved this.Think Sasha was involved.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

Always loved this.Think Sasha was involved.
I have that vinyl since way back.

Definitely Sasha up in there.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
See, I don't regard that mix as progressive house. I find it boring and long winded whereas the original is incredible and instant and waaay ahead of it's time. You had Sasha, Digweed, BT and a few others creating and playing new stuff that made you lie awake replaying some of those tracks over and over when you got home after a party. They helped push the boundaries of production to the next level, but this sounds like a thousand other tracks, albeit with a few cool samples. Is it a tribal beat maybe? 2003 too. That means after 11 years, production, creativity and musicality went backwards.

That's my view anyway and we're each entitled to our views, but I lived through the rave scene (well from 1987 when I started collecting house records alongside metal, hip hop and electro, up until i'd dragged it out to death, around 97) and it was dynamic the music scene, especially the early days.
Ok, did I try to take something away from the original mix?

Later on progressive house tracks were longer and drawn out,I guess as the scene became more minimal I can see how it might be perceived as boring. You might have been out of the scene then, but there was quality progressive coming out until about 2005. I've been listening to prog since about 97, I've never heard a track quite like this.

I also grew up with sasha, digweed and bt, I first heard this track on a deep dish compilation ... seems like when I came into this stuff you were on your way out, so our views are probably gonna be different. That solar plexus remix is definitive prog house for that time tho, whether or not you consider it prog.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroosen View Post
I still listen to the faster harder old school stuff every once in a while, like this:

This is surely Hard House. RIP Tony. Shame that Happy Hardcore took over and destroyed the style. (Still a little bitter 20 odd years later...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search