The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Multitrack Recorder Midi Sync
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Multitrack Recorder Midi Sync

Since there seems to be no multitrack recorder that has build in Midi sync, is there any posibility to sync a MIDI qequencer or drummachine to such a audio only multitrack recorder?

In the past I had a MIDI interface for the PC that was able to output SMPTE, so you could record that signal to a mono audio track. Later on the you had SMPTE audio signal to MIDI timecode or so.

I mean play back the multitrack audio. Route the SMPTE track to an extra channel and send it to a device that can convert that signal back to MIDI clock or timecode.

Is there something like that, without using a PC? I mean those multitrack recorder do not cost much, thus such an interface shouldn't be that expensive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd imagine there is something out there, but if you are willing to deal with used older tech the Korg D3200 sounds very good and has MTC and MMC.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I'd like to buy something new, but I don't like to pay more for the time code converter than for the multitrack recorder. Can Cubase handle this?
Old 1 week ago
I think the JL cooper pps2 might do what you need, many years since I had one though so you'll need to check it out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

old: Roland VS series. i don't know what peoples' experience is with sync with it.
but i picked up a VSR-880 rack version anyway - and have not been inspired by its interface to use it :-/
at all.
which is ironic because it's almost exactly the kind of simple digital 'tape deck' format i'd thought would be useful.

so in theory, come autumn, it's going, and i'll get something else.
it's that button that says in large letters: "CDRW". yeah, like i'm going to record to CDR... i've managed to get it running with a CF card instead of the hard drive, that was Step1. i was curious about the IDE-CF adapter i had lying around. so that works.

at that point, i started considering alternatives, and questioning if i really need MIDI sync as a priority. maybe get something more recent, already geared up for use with flash memory. of course, nothing much out there has a midi connection, unless you use it with a computer and USB, which is not the planned scenario.
i don't really want to be pulling out a CF card and converting VS format tracks into wav files, adding an intermediary stage. i'd probably end up mixing down to 2-track on the machine, which defeats the object.

it isn't just the CDRW button, of course. it's quite heavy and bulky, and i realised i could get something smaller and lighter with more onboard features as a day-to-day scratchpad. it didn't cost much, so maybe i should give it a chance. but will i really use the midi and go back over with overdubs? my main purpose - if i stop and think - was to keep tracks separate during one-take recordings. overdub is a useful extra, and midi sync seemed essential, and something you should be able to expect - or at least a decent option on a modern digital recorder.

i've read that it doesn't work very well. maybe they meant 'midi sync' eg: midi clock, start/stop, ppqn, bars, etc. - and not MTC, which i've never used, and seems a lot like using SMPTE. -so with another machine able to receive sync/MTC over USB, maybe that would be enough. but you'd have to bring the DAW into the process, which i wanted to avoid. would that be ok after all? ...
and those USB units offer the benefit of being able to act as a multi-input audio interface if you relent and go back to using the DAW ...

but: WHY don't manufacturers factor in the standalone situation, and put a midi port on there ? relatively few have one, and at one point i scoured all the models of the multitude of multitracks produced by Boss and Zoom - as a cheap first foray into this - and only found a handful of models that had a midi port.

i hate the idea of dealing with latency and offsetting by x ticks to line tracks up. either all ITB or all OTB. want to keep things simple, quick.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
WHY don't manufacturers factor in the standalone situation, and put a midi port on there ?
I guess it's another case of the 90%. Only 10% don't want to use a computer for this, and continue to make their life harder with MIDI.
MIDI sync is almost always a problem because manufacturers rarely implement it properly as there is no real standard or any obligation to stick to one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been hoping for something like this for some time now.
My theory is that if something like this is going to happen again it could happen in the Eurorack market. Some kind of 8-track recorder with clock out to sync sequencers with. It would be a great way to build songs without a DAW and only a few synths (because it would make overdubs a breeze).
Either way, yeah I really would love something to fill this niche.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I've been hoping for something like this for some time now.
My theory is that if something like this is going to happen again it could happen in the Eurorack market. Some kind of 8-track recorder with clock out to sync sequencers with. It would be a great way to build songs without a DAW and only a few synths (because it would make overdubs a breeze).
Either way, yeah I really would love something to fill this niche.
What about the new mpc's? They can multitrack I think?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
What about the new mpc's? They can multitrack I think?
Yeah I heard you can use them to make loops that way. Can you do long tracks? I bet you can't record like 8 tracks simultaneously though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I guess it's another case of the 90%. Only 10% don't want to use a computer for this, and continue to make their life harder with MIDI.
MIDI sync is almost always a problem because manufacturers rarely implement it properly as there is no real standard or any obligation to stick to one.
yeah you say that, ... but didn't you notice there's a 'DAW-less' thing going on?
computer is nice and all that, but you can get fed up with it. and you can wreck your eyesight. i got fed up with it, tbh, at the Atari stage - and the rest of the time i spent with a computer was trying to set it up to pretend it wasn't a computer, going for software that reminded me of a hardware sequencer.

what do you mean by 'no real standard', and not implementing it properly?
all of the music that started all this was made with midi. seemed to do the job then.

anyway, i'm still chasing my tail with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search