The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MPC1000 issue: saving entire memory?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
MPC1000 issue: saving entire memory?

hey all, ive picked up a mpc1000 (jjos 3.13) recently but am already facing some issues with saving. I have several samples that i've assigned, however, im not able to figure out how to save my assigned pads, so when i turn back on my mpc, the samples are oriented and assigned to the pads as ive saved them.

ive tried saving entire memory function, but am getting lots of freezes. ive created a new folder, but it still freezes when i save. Ive tried the auto-save function, which results in yet another freeze....

please can someone explain a comprehensive method for me to save my sample assignment (pads) setup? im trying to DJ live and have all pads filled with samples in certain order, so its necessary i can save them and open them as saved when i turn my machine on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
im also getting random freezes for a variety of functions such as creating a new folder on my memory card... the card is brand new and compatible. bought this 2nd hand used and it says it has 128mb ram installed...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
saving program is also freezing...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny23 View Post
saving program is also freezing...
when i reboot it though, to get out of the freeze, the operations it froze on are complete all of a sudden (new folder was created, program was saved). could this be a RAM issue?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It could be. Check that the RAM card is well on its place. It could have moved during shipping and it can cause some of the things you’ve listed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
It could be. Check that the RAM card is well on its place. It could have moved during shipping and it can cause some of the things you’ve listed.
ive read theres so many errors and freezes if you dont save things a very certain way... im really mad at the moment because how could such a "classic" machine be riddled with the most bugs of anything ive used before....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don’t get hasty, you’ve got the machine for two days, you’ll find your pace with it, it’s a “classic” for a reason. Patience man.

Edit: Have you downloaded MPC maid yet?

Last edited by A.I. Batule Chee; 2 weeks ago at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Edit: Have you downloaded MPC maid yet?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

can you read? then i recommend to read the owners Manual my friend.
several times til you understand
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliphoth View Post
yeah ive read the owners manual nothing mentions the tons of bugs that cause random saving methods to "freeze." when im saving and it freezes, i have to restart my mpc and all the samples previously loaded in my program have question marks in front of them, and they dont exist on the memory card anymore....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliphoth View Post
curious did you even read my post or just ask if i can read? kind of ironic
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Don’t get hasty, you’ve got the machine for two days, you’ll find your pace with it, it’s a “classic” for a reason. Patience man.

trying MPC maid now. thank you
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First this is the wrong forum, if you got specialty problems you need to got to :
mpc-forums <moderator edit - no general links to other fora please. thank you>

Second, JJOS in all versions is pretty robust OS, so I would not be so eager to blame the machine or OS.

Last edited by Reptil; 1 week ago at 09:53 AM.. Reason: -
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:

THANK YOU MAN this app is amazing helping a lot
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
First this is the wrong forum, if you got specialty problems you need to got to :
mpc-forums <moderator edit - no general links to other fora please. thank you>

Second, JJOS in all versions is pretty robust OS, so I would not be so eager to blame the machine or OS.
yes ive posted in the other forum as well. figured someone on here might know whats up because so many people on here recommended me the mpc1000

Last edited by Reptil; 1 week ago at 09:54 AM.. Reason: -
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
THANK YOU MAN this app is amazing helping a lot
No problem man, glad to help. Give it some time, you’ll get it eventually, you won’t regret it.
Old 2 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
What size is your CF card? I had these issues when I picked a CF card that was just too big.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
No problem man, glad to help. Give it some time, get it eventually, you won’t regret it.
for sure man im thinking the best way for me to use this is to use apps to avoid potential freezeups with loading, saving, and creating new files on the mpc itself. its much more safe/effective to use a software for that, from all the research ive done
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I've never had any save related bugs with my MPC 1000.
Like someone said, JJOS is pretty robust. You should remove the ram memory stick and see if it solves your problem. there are still 16GB of internal ram IIRC. You might then have your culprit. You can also try a different CF, maybe yours has too many GB and can't be properly supported by the OS.
Feel free to ask your questions here, there are many MPC heads roaming GS.
Please keep us posted
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I've never had any save related bugs with my MPC 1000.
Like someone said, JJOS is pretty robust. You should remove the ram memory stick and see if it solves your problem. there are still 16GB of internal ram. IRC. You might then have your culprit. You can also try a different CF, maybe yours has too many GB and can't be properly supported by the OS.
Feel free to ask your questions here, there are many MPC heads roaming GS.
Please keep us posted
for sure appreciate the kindness. ive riddled out most my issues; i believe the ram is messed up somehow, maybe just because it could be from several years ago. additionally, loading a smaller gb/mb CF card is way better for the machine's functioning. its way more worth it to have multiple smaller space cards than one huge one.

i believe my machine can handle 16gb but no more than that (it can take 32gb but the freezes are plenty when saving/loading/creating files/naming etc.)

MPC MAID is a must for transferring .wavs, machine doesnt have to go through as much internal labor.

ive been on GS A LOT the last week because of gigs coming up and at least 40+ people recommended me to get an mpc1000 (each person having owned one). I figured people could communicate info on it.
Old 2 weeks ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
for sure appreciate the kindness. ive riddled out most my issues; i believe the ram is messed up somehow, maybe just because it could be from several years ago. additionally, loading a smaller gb/mb CF card is way better for the machine's functioning. its way more worth it to have multiple smaller space cards than one huge one.

i believe my machine can handle 16gb but no more than that (it can take 32gb but the freezes are plenty when saving/loading/creating files/naming etc.)

MPC MAID is a must for transferring .wavs, machine doesnt have to go through as much internal labor.

ive been on GS A LOT the last week because of gigs coming up and at least 40+ people recommended me to get an mpc1000 (each person having owned one). I figured people could communicate info on it.
Yeah, I bought a 32gb and it started having freezing issues. I got an 8 gig SanDisk ultra at 50 mb/s and it works fine. I, personally, wouldn't go over 8 gigs.

If your problems were happening with a 32gig card, then that's the problem imo, not anything to do with the ram.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
moderator edit - no general links to other fora please thank you
This is an aggressive commercial practice that does not serve the community.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I'm glad you have resolved your saving issue with a smaller CF card.
16GB is way enough for a 128meg sampler anyway
I think I have tried a 32 GB sandisk CF without issue while running OS2XL. Not sure with the free 3.13 though.
You can also install aninternal IDE HDD, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's slow and pointless with a convenient CF reader.
I hope you'll shortly gel with the particular (and yet satisfying) workflow.

If you still suspect a ram issue, you may clean, the ram stick connectors, and make sure it's properly sloted.
A new memory module isn't hard to source, and most generic RAM memomry stick are ok (no need to find an expensive akai branded memory module). If memory serves well you have to find a 256meg RAM in order to benefit from 128meg. Only half of the memory is actually used. A bit strange but that's the way it's supposed to work.
BTW, welcome to the MPC world
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I had a RAM stick fail in my MPC1000. One day I switched on and it wouldn't boot. Reseating didn't help. When I replaced the RAM, I immediately noticed that loading and saving was much faster. I can't recall if my MPC1000 has ever crashed, I may have had a couple of crashes in the past, but not since I replaced the RAM. I have JJOS2XL and it's quite stable.

Double check this, but according to my notes, to acheive 128MB of RAM you need a stick with the following spec. As per above, the MPC can only use one side of a stick:

PC 133 144PIN CL3 SODIMM 256MB

My biggest issue with the MPC1000 has been the tact switches. After only a year, a few of mine became intermittent. I put up with it for a while but when one of the cursor switches stopped working altogether, I decided to replace them all, because the device had become pretty much unusable.

I've also had pad issues. I got the fat pads from MPC Stuff which I felt were an improvement. Had some double/multiple triggering, but it seems to have settled down with use.

I've had no trouble with CF cards, but have never tried anything bigger than 4GB.

Last edited by KevBKeys; 1 week ago at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Typo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search