The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
best software for converting 32 bit sample to 16 bit
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger001 View Post
i use sox for those rare convert job, like converting to 12 or 8 bit and 32 or 24.88 Khz (linndrum/SP12/00 territory)
i use wavelab for every 'normal 'conversion
does batch job & has tick box for delete/overwrite original file
Mac or PC?? I STILL really miss Wavelab 3, it was the most awesome editor Ive ever used heh, did everything down to mastering my cd's in that one app. Moving to a Mac and Peak took quite a bit of getting used to and by the time I finally did, Peak is dead heh. Been using a combination of AudioFinder, Ocenaudio, Sound Studio and sometimes the MPC itself to edit stuff but maybe Ill check out Wavelab. I remember looking at the Mac version a few years ago and it not looking very familiar at all like I remembered. Its also called Wavelab Elements or something? I take it its a different version than the PC one??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Mac or PC?? I STILL really miss Wavelab 3, it was the most awesome editor Ive ever used heh, did everything down to mastering my cd's in that one app. Moving to a Mac and Peak took quite a bit of getting used to and by the time I finally did, Peak is dead heh. Been using a combination of AudioFinder, Ocenaudio, Sound Studio and sometimes the MPC itself to edit stuff but maybe Ill check out Wavelab. I remember looking at the Mac version a few years ago and it not looking very familiar at all like I remembered. Its also called Wavelab Elements or something? I take it its a different version than the PC one??
here you'll find the differences between elements & pro
https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...omparison.html
i use wavelab 6 on PC cause it gives me (mostly) all things that are now in the pro version
Old 1 week ago
I never learned can Sox convert audio from 12bit to 16bit. I always worried how it would count those 12 bits on a 64 bit architecture.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Mac or PC?? I STILL really miss Wavelab 3,

Same, it was the best for sample edit and transfer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Say, what happens to dither once it hits the not-so-ideal realtime sample rate conversion of a sampler?
Is there a chance that it would be less good than an undithered source?

And what about shaped dither when playing back a sample at a lower key? Wouldn't the distribution get messed up and become much more noticeable?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I never learned can Sox convert audio from 12bit to 16bit.
anyone has a 12-bit file to try? send me a link pls.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I never learned can Sox convert audio from 12bit to 16bit. I always worried how it would count those 12 bits on a 64 bit architecture.
The same way it counts 12 bits on a 32 bit architecture.

That may sound like a snooty or snide answer, but as a programmer it's absolutely not a significant concern with regard to system architecture. The specific code and the assembly instructions it would get compiled to are very carefully described as to which bits are affected and in what way. One does, of course, have to be careful in a higher-level language to work in ways that are well-defined and not specified as having compiler-dependent implementations. (Bitfields in C, for one example, have no specifically defined packing order.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
The same way it counts 12 bits on a 32 bit architecture.

That may sound like a snooty or snide answer, but as a programmer it's absolutely not a significant concern with regard to system architecture. The specific code and the assembly instructions it would get compiled to are very carefully described as to which bits are affected and in what way. One does, of course, have to be careful in a higher-level language to work in ways that are well-defined and not specified as having compiler-dependent implementations. (Bitfields in C, for one example, have no specifically defined packing order.)
I think the point was what do you do with the fewer or more bits? This is where noise shaping comes in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
I think the point was what do you do with the fewer or more bits? This is where noise shaping comes in.
Noise shaping is only for bit reduction tho. It's a way to distribute the dither energy.
But if you go from 12 to say 16 bits then you just don't have any information. I mean, you could guess what the new bits should be, but that has nothing to do with noise shaping.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Noise shaping is only for bit reduction tho. It's a way to distribute the dither energy.
But if you go from 12 to say 16 bits then you just don't have any information. I mean, you could guess what the new bits should be, but that has nothing to do with noise shaping.
I was gonna say, isn't the point of dither to add noise to cover up the bit REDUCTION? By upping the bitrate, youre not actually adding or taking away anything other than empty bits, there is no point to dithering.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
i use sox for those rare convert job, like converting to 12 or 8 bit and 32 or 24.88 Khz (linndrum/SP12/00 territory)
Would you mind showing a SoX command line that converts wav data to 12 bit?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

mind this :
Specifically, by default, SoX automatically adds TPDF dither when the output bit-depth is less than 24 and any of the following are true:

•bit-depth reduction has been specified explicitly using a command-line option
•the output file format supports only bit-depths lower than that of the input file format
•an effect has increased effective bit-depth within the internal processing chain

For example, adjusting volume with vol 0.25 requires two additional bits in which to losslessly store its results (since 0.25 decimal equals 0.01 binary). So if the input file bit-depth is 16, then SoX’s internal representation will utilise 18 bits after processing this volume change. In order to store the output at the same depth as the input, dithering is used to remove the additional bits.

command:
sox input.cdda −b 24 output.wav
converts raw CD digital audio (16-bit, signed-integer) to a 24-bit (signed-integer) ‘WAV’ file.

you request would than be:
sox input.wav -b 12 output.wav

remember:
Use the '-V' option on all your command lines. It makes SoX print out its idea of what is going on. '-V' is your friend.
Old 1 week ago
Why wouldn't you just convert it to 12 bit straight from the cd itself?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
you request would than be:
… and you'll get:

sox WARN formats: wav can't encode to 12-bit

because bit width for wav files must be multiples of bytes (8/16/24/32 bits).
same for other formats using PCM method for storing information.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
There is no such thing as -b switch with a value of 12. You must have used some other SoX option to convert to 12 bit.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I use this for when I'm prepping files for my MPC1000:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...e/Freeware.htm

It's a really quick and dirty batch processor. It handles a few different function. Just avoid the actual tuning algorithm as it's not a very reliable algorithm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search