The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I just got a loan of an MS20. Can I do this?...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just got a loan of an MS20. Can I do this?...

I've got a loan of my friends MS20. It's great, but I've barely scratched the surface. I'm waiting on getting his SQ-1 sequencer to match it up with it, but whilst I've been waiting I've been using my Keystep to sequence it.

I just came across this vid and love the kind of stepping modulation it's doing to the filter(?) And was wondering if -- since I'll be using the midi from the MS20 to the beatstep, would I also be able to patch in the SQ-1 whilst using the beatstep to get some of this modulation going on...

Or is there anyway to do something similar to the what's happening in the video without the SQ-1 so I can have a go just now? Sorry, but my knowledge on patching/modular is very limited and have only got experience with very basic easy to use synths.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Not sure if you have a keystep or a beatstep, but as a keystep + sq1 owner, yes it's trivially easy to sync them up and have all kinds of fun. It's worth checking the settings in that keystep midi control centre thing first to make sure it's set up for korg voltages etc.

If you have stackable patch cables then you can double your cv/gates and send them all over the joint, see what happens!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
I've got a loan of my friends MS20. It's great, but I've barely scratched the surface. I'm waiting on getting his SQ-1 sequencer to match it up with it, but whilst I've been waiting I've been using my Keystep to sequence it.

I just came across this vid and love the kind of stepping modulation it's doing to the filter(?) And was wondering if -- since I'll be using the midi from the MS20 to the beatstep, would I also be able to patch in the SQ-1 whilst using the beatstep to get some of this modulation going on...

Or is there anyway to do something similar to the what's happening in the video without the SQ-1 so I can have a go just now? Sorry, but my knowledge on patching/modular is very limited and have only got experience with very basic easy to use synths.

Thanks!
Do you mean MIDI from the Beatstep to the MS-20?
Because the MS-20 mini doesn't have MIDI output.

I would say the answer is yes, you could clock the SQ-1 from the beatstep I think.
You could also use the gate and cv from the beatstep but I don't know if it can do Hz/V so you might as well do MIDI (even if there's MIDI latency).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Do you mean MIDI from the Beatstep to the MS-20?
Because the MS-20 mini doesn't have MIDI output.

I would say the answer is yes, you could clock the SQ-1 from the beatstep I think.
You could also use the gate and cv from the beatstep but I don't know if it can do Hz/V so you might as well do MIDI (even if there's MIDI latency).
Sorry, I've said keystep and then beatstep afterwards. It's a keystep im using. I have it sequencing the ms20 all good - just curious if I could have the sq-1 doing the filter modulating in conjunction to this...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Toy View Post
Not sure if you have a keystep or a beatstep, but as a keystep + sq1 owner, yes it's trivially easy to sync them up and have all kinds of fun. It's worth checking the settings in that keystep midi control centre thing first to make sure it's set up for korg voltages etc.

If you have stackable patch cables then you can double your cv/gates and send them all over the joint, see what happens!
This is good to hear!!

Will give it a look and have a go then ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can use the clock from the Keystep or Beatstep to sync the SQ-1. That’s what I would want to do.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Use the trigger out of the Keystep as the clock for the S&H on the MS20 as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search