The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
synth / keyboard sound
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

synth / keyboard sound

Hi guys, would anybody know what plug-in I might get the sound of the keys at the start of this Swift track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNEo...Pi4eO&index=12
Old 5 days ago
Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Please leave this board while you can!!!! Once the gearslutism starts developing in your body you'll get the urge to buy the most useless gear you won't even need. Once it reaches the final stage you'll start buying gear and as soon as it arrives your mind will forget about it so you'll start looking for new gear to purchase. In some rare cases the patients keep refreshing the track 'n trace page of their delivery. You have been warned!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
So Dave smith said Taylor uses a prophet 12 but I’m not sure if that’s where the synth came from. But it definitely could be in p12 territory.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Please leave this board while you can!!!! Once the gearslutism starts developing in your body you'll get the urge to buy the most useless gear you won't even need. Once it reaches the final stage you'll start buying gear and as soon as it arrives your mind will forget about it so you'll start looking for new gear to purchase. In some rare cases the patients keep refreshing the track 'n trace page of their delivery. You have been warned!
If he's rich he can afford it. I've spent 10k over the last 2 years. However, my synths will (supposedly) go up in value. If he mostly buys cheap plugins then no harm done right?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
If he's rich he can afford it. I've spent 10k over the last 2 years. However, my synths will (supposedly) go up in value. If he mostly buys cheap plugins then no harm done right?
10k isn't much to be honest but if he's still a student and doesn't have a steady income in a case like that it's much for him. If he goes the VSTi way it could be extremely cheap since there are tons of free plugins.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
10k isn't much to be honest but if he's still a student and doesn't have a steady income in a case like that it's much for him. If he goes the VSTi way it could be extremely cheap since there are tons of free plugins.
It was quite a shock when I added up the numbers because over the last few years attempted to avoid the more expensive purchases. But most of that value is still here in the studio - investment and nothing lost If only it was tax deductible.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It was quite a shock when I added up the numbers because over the last few years attempted to avoid the more expensive purchases. But most of that value is still here in the studio - investment and nothing lost If only it was tax deductible.
At some point you will buy it (I know I have been there too). I say if you can afford it just buy it, you only live once.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
At some point you will buy it (I know I have been there too). I say if you can afford it just buy it, you only live once.
Yea those thoughts are going through my head too.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Scotch Disco Band. I noticed the "Italo Disco" and just had to say Scotch Disco Band.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Anyone else think the first note of that bassline is too high (more a F# than F), sure it's intentional, but it's slightly irritating?^^

on topic; Could basically be done with pretty much any softsynth. Couple oscs, detune, filter down, stereospread/stereochorus.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
Anyone else think the first note of that bassline is too high (more a F# than F), sure it's intentional, but it's slightly irritating?^^

on topic; Could basically be done with pretty much any softsynth. Couple oscs, detune, filter down, stereospread/stereochorus.
From Scotch Disco Band? Sounds great, fantastic especially on the record player two little speakers on the record player fills the room with sound actually. Sure go ahead, if you can do that. If you want to post something I would love to hear it because words are not as beautiful! They inspired me to create a drum beat of a sample of someone coughing but oh (yeah) thats already been done :>
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
From Scotch Disco Band?
No, the link in the op
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

That's a lot of responses with only 2 people actually giving hints; but y'all are right though, all of this will drain your bank account at alarming speeds if you don't pay attention.

There are two sounds made by synthesizers at the start of the track. The bassline is a so-called Reese/Reece bass; here's a tutorial that explains some of the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8whhdvA0hV4

The high-pitched sound is two sounds played simultaneously; one is a fifth that glides up in pitch, the other's a chord. For the chord, it's probably best to use a wavetable synthesizer (or something that allows single cycle waves) - add chorus and you're there. What waveform to pick is hard to determine, but likely a combination of pulses at several octaves is going to do the trick; alternatively, just playing a chord and running it through a shimmer effect (pitch-shifted reverb fed into itself) tuned to an octave (and then only capturing the part that has several octaves playing at once) is also an option.

The fifth gliding up is a lowpass filtered saw wave with some resonance added, but no envelope > filter modulation.

If @ fintanfugs can tell us what they have in terms of synths or plugins, it's possible to give further assistance.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

hi yoozer, thanks for reply. I have to admit i don't really know alot about synths and i'm not a keyboard player. I only use a few notes and chords on tracks and have previously recorded mostly guitar based tracks. In the last few days i've gone through my Analog Lab plug-in and there are a few kinda similar sounds on it but not exactly. I guess i don't need to use the exact sound from the Taylor track but i would still like to know how it was created. I'm basically trying to build my knowledge as such on synths and their sounds.

Fintan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search