The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
OT sample mangling in an iPad app?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OT sample mangling in an iPad app?

I need some advice/suggestions from folks that use software.

Over the years I've owned a lot of different hardware samplers -
Emulators, Emax, MPCs, Akai S6000, Fairlight, Octatrack, Deluge, Little Deformer 3, probably others I've forgotten about.

What I love doing the best is taking samples and mangling them and using bits and chunks from that process. I absolutely do not want to do the traditional "multi-sample and map to keys across octaves" thing. I also don't need any sequencing capabilities other than the ability to trigger the sample(s) via MIDI.

Of the samplers I've used, I found the most fun using the basic controls on the OT main page - pitch, time stretch, sample start/end, loop forward/back/etc, and retrigger/repeat. However, I don't think I want to dedicate mixer channels to another hardware box if there's something around I can have on the iPad and mess with and then trigger when needed (otherwise I'll just wait and grab an OT Mk II at a used price).

So - any suggestions for software that can do similar things with a decently immediate interface?

thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

May not be exactly what you need but these two are amazing and make me not want to use vintage samplers ever again: http://samplr.net/?lang=en and https://www.elf-audio.com/koala/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’d suggest looking at Samplr as well. Tons of fun, and a good chameleon too.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

There are some good granular apps - Tardigrain, SpaceCraft, Borderlands

FieldScaper has a confusing UI but does interesting things
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are you looking to manipulate loops?

Gadget's Abu Dhabi auto chops a 1-bar loop into 16 steps and gives you control over each step: pitch, attack, decay, reverse, effect on/off, repeat, pan and level. Choose a parameter then flick each step up or down to control the amount of parameter change on each step (i.e., p-locking). Each parameter also has its own automation lane, so you can swipe your finger across the screen to create smooth parameter sweeps.

You can override auto chop by manually aligning your slices. Play the steps as arps if you want to.

Trigger each slice via MIDI, via the 16 on-screen pads, or via Gadget's piano roll sequencer. Piano roll might be the easiest way to turn each step on/off, trigger new slices.

Change loops seamlessly while the sequencer's running. Import your own loops.

Had to go into detail because info on what it does is pretty skimpy. You might find YouTube vids for it, but I've never searched.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Samplr
Egoist
Spacecraft
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Sir Sampleton. Not quite like the ocatrack, but a fun cheesy app.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Are you looking to manipulate loops?

Gadget's Abu Dhabi auto chops a 1-bar loop into 16 steps and gives you control over each step: pitch, attack, decay, reverse, effect on/off, repeat, pan and level. Choose a parameter then flick each step up or down to control the amount of parameter change on each step (i.e., p-locking). Each parameter also has its own automation lane, so you can swipe your finger across the screen to create smooth parameter sweeps.

You can override auto chop by manually aligning your slices. Play the steps as arps if you want to.

Trigger each slice via MIDI, via the 16 on-screen pads, or via Gadget's piano roll sequencer. Piano roll might be the easiest way to turn each step on/off, trigger new slices.

Change loops seamlessly while the sequencer's running. Import your own loops.

Had to go into detail because info on what it does is pretty skimpy. You might find YouTube vids for it, but I've never searched.
Yeah, Gadget works great, I however bought the Bilbao gadget, as sample start point was more important to me.

You can easily transfer your own samples in via drop box, I got it to work even on a Windows XP computer transferring to an IPad 2, IOS 9.3.

Run either through the grainshifter effect and you are golden.

My dock’s audio in sadly doesn’t work properly, so I’m going to be nabbing an R3 to run my Volca sample and MC307 through for grainshift fun.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Samplr is great for oddball manipulation using the touchscreen but be advised, it seems to no longer be in active development, and I never found a way to use an external MIDI keyboard to play samples chromatically with it (there’s a mode with an onscreen keyboard that works OK). Well worth the money though.

I’ve also found the sampler in GarageBand to be pretty useful for quickly sampling the audio in and looping/stretching/reversing the sample, including playing it melodically from an external keyboard.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Yeah, Gadget works great, I however bought the Bilbao gadget, as sample start point was more important to me.
You're right, Bilbao is great and might be closer to what @ oldgearguy is looking for. I offered Abu Dhabi because it's closer to the Octatrack flow, and he mentioned that he got along with it. Bilbao certainly can fit his flow, though. Anyone looking for a quick compare/contrast between Bilbao and Abu Dhabi might like this little Haq Attaq video:

Quote:
You can easily transfer your own samples in via drop box, I got it to work even on a Windows XP computer transferring to an IPad 2, IOS 9.3.
Absolutely love Gadget. I have 'em all except the three new ones that came out yesterday. I'll probably get iElectribe Wave, now that it fits into Gadget, and I'll eventually buy the two '80s video games Gadgets later down the road, if I figure out a way to use their sounds in what I'm making.

Quote:
I’m going to be nabbing an R3 to run my Volca sample and MC307 through for grainshift fun.
Cool. The Radias engine is dope. Just picked up Volca Drum, and running that thing through a grain shifter is just effing wacky!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Checked out Samplr and watching some videos and reading the manual for Spacecraft.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Two apps I highly recommend that don’t seem to get much love: Mitosynth and Grain Science, both by Wooji Juice. If you’re just going to get one tho, get Mitosynth...one of my favorite samplers/synths for sound design and sample manipulation, and that’s including all the other hardware and software I have. Probably the closest thing I’ve found to being a “performance sampler” like the OT.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Good suggestions so far. For sample manipulation I have/use:

Samplr
Beatmaker 3
csSpectral
Moebius Lab
SoundScaper
Grain Science

Along with a many others. I generally like them all very much. Although I usually record the output and export to a hardware sampler..... because, triggering them from an external midi sequencer (in this case, a Cirklon) introduces very noticeable amounts of latency. So much so that its unusable in the context of a hardware set up. Much like any computer, the ipad is fine as long as there’s no reference point to the timing of hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
Good suggestions so far. For sample manipulation I have/use:

Samplr
Beatmaker 3
csSpectral
Moebius Lab
SoundScaper
Grain Science

Along with a many others. I generally like them all very much. Although I usually record the output and export to a hardware sampler..... because, triggering them from an external midi sequencer (in this case, a Cirklon) introduces very noticeable amounts of latency. So much so that its unusable in the context of a hardware set up. Much like any computer, the ipad is fine as long as there’s no reference point to the timing of hardware.
Of these I only have Soundscapper and Moebius Lab. I'd describe Soundscapper as a low-fi chaos unit - original and fun, but not something to turn to for executing an idea.

Moebius Lab is great, and the sound quality better than Sounscapper IMO.

Tardigrain is a granular sampler. Very good sound engine and very nice reverb and bit crush, which to my ear blows the OT's away (not hard I know).

Biut none of the above are comparable to the OT.

There's much anticipation about Drambo from Bleepstreet, which promises to be pretty much an OT in iOS - It should be released within a few months. I've held off buying Samplr, Beatmaker etc in anticipation.

I have an iConnectivity interface and have had very good sync slaving apps to the Octatrack. Haven't tested them all, but e.g. Patterning, a sample sequencer oriented towards beats, and the Brambos sequencer apps slave great!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Samplr
Egoist
Spacecraft
Thanks for the suggestions. Have Samplr and Egoist but hadn't heard of Spacecraft. Purchased and I'm really digging it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

just get the octatrack
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Beat Maker 3 might be worth checking out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittygrittysoul View Post
just get the octatrack
OP asks for a recommendation for a $5 app, gets a recommendation for a $1500 hardware sampler. Peak Gearslutz.

I'm looking at getting Samplr this weekend. The Sonic State episode on it looked pretty cool, and a bit more economical than any hardware you'll find
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittygrittysoul View Post
just get the octatrack
I've owned one (or more) OT's since they were first released. My typical use case is this:

load up any sample onto a flex track.
set pitch knob to -6
set time stretch to 32
trigger the track on 1, length = 16
as it plays, mess with start and length knobs until something interesting is there.
Go back and try time stretch lower and flip it around to try reverse values.
Go back and tweak start/length.

sometimes add in a number of retriggers and play with delay time between retriggers
sometimes go into the menu and change loop on/off/ping pong
sometimes play with slices instead of the raw sample.

that got me 90% or more of where I wanted to go in about a minute or two. Then I'd spend more time playing with the filter, adding LFOs, etc. Rarely I'd go in and edit the waveform if I really needed to clean up a discontinuity or something.

When happy, I'd trigger that track from MIDI

So that's kind of the fast, straightforward flow I'm looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I use DJay Pro to load up an manipulate samples as if they were on vinyl. Pretty fun.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I know this is veering a bit off the original, but...

do any of you Mac users have a recommendation for a basic VST3 host application so I can run some of these programs on a Mac standalone w/o having to boot up a full DAW/sequencer/sampler/etc?

There has to be a basic "I'm just a host that will run a VST3 for you" application out there, right?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's ancient but I actually still like Samplewiz, by Jordan Rudess and a programmer friend.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Have Samplr and Egoist but hadn't heard of Spacecraft. Purchased and I'm really digging it.
I love Spacecraft.

Works really well on words/speech.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
OP asks for a recommendation for a $5 app, gets a recommendation for a $1500 hardware sampler. Peak Gearslutz.

I'm looking at getting Samplr this weekend. The Sonic State episode on it looked pretty cool, and a bit more economical than any hardware you'll find
When the OP puts in his last paragraph on first post "(otherwise I'll just wait and grab an OT Mk II at a used price)"

I may also be a peak gearslutz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I know this is veering a bit off the original, but...

do any of you Mac users have a recommendation for a basic VST3 host application so I can run some of these programs on a Mac standalone w/o having to boot up a full DAW/sequencer/sampler/etc?

There has to be a basic "I'm just a host that will run a VST3 for you" application out there, right?
Curious since you ask this - have you used TAL Sampler?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Curious since you ask this - have you used TAL Sampler?

I have not. I've heard good things about that over the years for sure.
So, might as well give an update (this is starting to sound like a @ zerocrossing thread.... )

Communicated with Mark Watt (developer of Spacecraft). He looked around and suggested a host called Hosting AU. He also created a quick video showing how to set up SC inside it. I pulled that down, got it all set up and was able to get audio in and out of the Hosting AU/SC environment and my hw mixer through the various converters, etc here. In addition I was also able to get the Roli Rise to communicate with/control SC.

SC is a very very fun tool to play around with and I got something musical and interesting within 10 minutes of getting it up and running. I can see getting lost for hours in it for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMatrix View Post
triggering them from an external midi sequencer (in this case, a Cirklon) introduces very noticeable amounts of latency. So much so that its unusable in the context of a hardware set up. Much like any computer, the ipad is fine as long as there’s no reference point to the timing of hardware.
Interesting. What iPad and USB-MIDI interface are you using? No latency over here using an iConnectMIDI1.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search