The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Komplete Kontrol s88 mk2 or a privia pro piano - as a controller?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Komplete Kontrol s88 mk2 or a privia pro piano - as a controller?

I'm selling my Nord Stage 3, as after a year and a half i see that i only used it live twice. The rest of the time it functions as a controller when i work ITB. That's where i'm at for the past year or so.
So i figured i'll sell the Nord, use some of the money for covering some of the overdraft in my bank account and use the rest to get a controller instead.

The budget is $1000.
The contenders are NI Komplete Kontrol S88 mk2 or some digital piano such as the Casio PX 5s (which i had in the past by the way).

The KK S88 will integrate perfectly with all the NI and komplete ultimate stuff that i have, some 3rd party NKS stuff and also with cubase - with its transport controls etc. I know this since i had the kk s61 mk2 which i sold back then to finance the Nord.

The downside is that if there will be one of those moments where there's a problem with the computer or something - there will be nothing to play on.

The other option is something like the casio px 5s. I say "something like the" since it wasn't a good controller when i had it. The keys lacked after touch, and it could only hold a sustain pedal but no expression pedal.
Is there any digital piano for $1k that could also serve as a good controller?

The downside of this option is that even if there is - there's no way it will integrate even 10% as good as a KK mk2 keyboard, in that level (vst's and libraries pre-mapped to knobs, transport controls, scales etc).

I'm leaning towards the KK S88 mk2 as i know it will make working ITB a more fun and creative experience, as i had before with the 61 version.
But i'm hesitant as for the possibility of the computer crashing and having to spend some days with nothing to play on.

So for $1k, i'd be happy for some advice, perhaps things i'm not thinking about or taking into consideration, other options altogether, or just one of the two....?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you’re a player, then go for the one with the best keys; if you’re mostly in the box anyways, then addons like sequencer, arp etc, won’t really surpass what is available.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
... addons like sequencer, arp etc, won’t really surpass what is available.
Not quite sure what you meant...
Sequencer and arp on what and by whom?
Did you mean the arp that comes as a feature on Komplete Kontrol software?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh sorry, i was mixing up the kk s88 mk2 for the novation sl mk3, (which doesn't even have 88 keys!). I think the keybed play should still prioritize the biggest part of the decision, but if your itb is mostly kontakt/maschine etc, the kk definitely has the advantage. It’s also got pretty nice action, when i tried it out in store.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I can tell you what I have: a Casio Piano that I use both as MIDI keys AND as a Piano when I just wanna play piano with no distraction, plus one A-Series keyboard for the integration with Komplete / Maschine. A series has nice keys, not weighted but the dynamic is nice.

That's coz a piano is always a piano, is long and heavy (even if I can transport it if I really need) while the NI keyboard well that it's just a midi controller: maybe this fall a new model will launch and the value of the actual one goes into ****. I'm not comfortable in spending so much money on something so particular that's just "a part of a ecosystem" that may cease to exist in a couple of years if the market change, or just coz NI integrates maschine into komplete, change the workflow and suddenly all the integration I paid for si subpar to the new model.

Yep I like many things of NI products but I don't trust them so much to get the big whale, also I don't like Mascine so much and I'm not sure what's the future of it, YMMV.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaman View Post
I can tell you what I have: a Casio Piano that I use both as MIDI keys AND as a Piano when I just wanna play piano with no distraction, plus one A-Series keyboard for the integration with Komplete / Maschine. A series has nice keys, not weighted but the dynamic is nice.
I tried to understand whether the A series has aftertouch or not, and the official website doesn't say yes or no. Does it?

Quote:
that may cease to exist in a couple of years if the market change, or just coz NI integrates maschine into komplete, change the workflow and suddenly all the integration I paid for si subpar to the new model.
Well, up till now NI made 3 major revisions to the Mschine series but if you have the mk1 controller you can still enjoy all the new features added to maschine. Same goes for the KK mk1 being able to control the komplete kontrol software even after kk mk2 got released. So i'm not sure why one would think there's a good reason to assume if a KK mk3 get's released then all the former integration goes to the dump.
As for value going down - i totally agree, although from what i experienced, the 2nd hand market is a rough place even if you're trying to sell analog synths and other hardware. I thought synths such as the GRP A4, SE Omega 8, Modal 002 or Vermona per4mer would hold up their value - but they lost at least 30% of their value. So de-value of music production gear is true for all gear, even if for controllers it might be steeper.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m saving up for one of these

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/sl-studio/

They also have a hammer action version which is more expensive
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post

Yeah, but not sure if it has aftertouch, and also it has so little controls.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I tried to understand whether the A series has aftertouch or not, and the official website doesn't say yes or no. Does it?
No

Quote:
Well, up till now NI made 3 major revisions to the Mschine series but if you have the mk1 controller you can still enjoy all the new features added to maschine. Same goes for the KK mk1 being able to control the komplete kontrol software even after kk mk2 got released. So i'm not sure why one would think there's a good reason to assume if a KK mk3 get's released then all the former integration goes to the dump.
It's not that the knobs or keys won't work, but if NI joins maschine + kontrol in one software there may be new features that are designed for a new controller, say with pads.

NI stuff is all 'bout integration and I feel like NI as brand is letting go, they can hardly fix or complete the product they are already selling (A-Series still with no midi editor? Not even possible to change the channel? Same for m32), if they do something new / different what's going to happen with old stuff?

But hey, maybe it's just me with bad feelings towards NI, I'm seriously looking to a Push.

Quote:
As for value going down - i totally agree, although from what i experienced, the 2nd hand market is a rough place even if you're trying to sell analog synths and other hardware. I thought synths such as the GRP A4, SE Omega 8, Modal 002 or Vermona per4mer would hold up their value - but they lost at least 30% of their value. So de-value of music production gear is true for all gear, even if for controllers it might be steeper.
Ye but I still play my 6 years old piano coz I'm used to the keys, it has a good "enclosure", pedals and it stays at the right height with my stool.

I don't see my self using a 6 years old master (if not a plain keyboard which is mostly a piano without sounds) as the juice with it is integration.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post

I was going to quote that, it should have the very same keybeds of S-Series if I'm not wrong, model 100-something. That's a substantial piece of hardware.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search