The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland D50 velocity problem on all keys
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Roland D50 velocity problem on all keys

My Roland D50 has a velocity issue where anytime I hit a key, any key, it plays at full velocity. I tried first a factory reset, then cleaning all the key contacts, and most recently I replaced the IDT 6116SA15TPG chip on the data scan board (read about a similar problem on another message board regarding a problem with release on all keys) but to no avail. It DOES still recognize velocity when I hook it up through its MIDI IN port to my computer and play a sequence back through it.. any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Did you notice any Key Contact not working?
Older boards are globally effected sometimes like that.
Newer boards on cheap controllers aren’t globally connected like that now, but the particular key contact will continue working at 127.
I had that on M Audio KS88s 20 years ago.
It became my synth and B3 Controller where velocity wasn’t needed. And samples belonged to a perfectly working controller.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hi and thanks for the response... by "any key contact not working" do you mean are there any keys on the board that don't work at all? No, they all work.. just at full velocity... even the aftertouch works throughout.. once I get better with the oscilloscope I'm going to start trying to figure out where the problem might lie.
Old 1 week ago
Do you happen to have the D-50 Service Manual, by any chance? Every manual you will probably ever need for the D-50 is here: https://www.synthxl.com/roland-d-50/

Also, I checked several D-50 supply sites, and no one has any of the Dyna Scan boards in stock.

Have you checked the Dyna Scan board for broken traces or junk on any of the circuit boards? Do the capacitors appear to be in good shape?

(Going forward, I'll use this thread, instead of the old one.)

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormLord11 View Post
I have the service manual yes, so you think it's most likely something to do with the dyna scan board? Well at least I have some reference point now to start at.. I can start doing some testing on it once I get my oscilloscope, I'm still learning how to do this stuff as you can probably tell hehe
No worries--I just started to fix my own music gear recently, so I understand completely. But you shouldn't need an oscilloscope for what I saw in the service manual. You should only have to trace voltages to the chip on the board.

Part of the problem with the Roland manuals is that some pages were fold-out pages in the printed book--and those don't translate well to the poorly scanned .PDF files we have to use now. So you may have to print a page or two out to piece them together to see how and where to trace the voltages, and what else you can test at that chip (and on that board in general).

Still, maybe someone here can tell you if there's a specific IC you can replace cheaply, quickly and easily, instead of worrying about broken traces, leaking capacitors, or other issues.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks for all of your input ShadowsOfLife. I haven't taken it apart again since I put that chip in it, but I'll probably crack it open again tomorrow and start back up on it. I don't recall seeing any overt or noticeable damage to the dyna scan board like broken traces or buldging/leaking capacitors but I'll check it out a lot more thoroughly when I get back on it, and I'll try it with just the multimeter.. Yeah the service manual is pretty hard to read as far as trying to piece the pdf pages together haha, good idea about printing it out. I'll post up something as soon as I can make any progress, thanks again bud
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you've had the rubber key contact strips out, were they put back in the right way around? I've just cleaned a Studiologic one and there's a high and low side of the rubber contacts. In a Youtube video I saw (Kurzweil), they said if they were put in the wrong way you'd just get full velocity.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I'm like 99.9% sure they're in the right way, I double checked a couple different pictures and videos, but now that you mention it it might be worth going in and switching them around just to check what happens..you never know..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormLord11 View Post
I'm like 99.9% sure they're in the right way, I double checked a couple different pictures and videos, but now that you mention it it might be worth going in and switching them around just to check what happens..you never know..
Did this problem begin after you had opened the unit? I must have missed you mentioning that. It seems unlikely that all the contact strips would be in backwards--especially if you haven't opened the synth.

That said, it's a good idea to check those if you have opened the synth, and for anyone else to keep in mind while working on one.

Steve
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Did this problem begin after you had opened the unit? I must have missed you mentioning that. It seems unlikely that all the contact strips would be in backwards--especially if you haven't opened the synth.

That said, it's a good idea to check those if you have opened the synth, and for anyone else to keep in mind while working on one.

Steve
It was like this when I got it. When I opened it up to clean the contacts I checked a few references to see if maybe the rubber strips were installed wrong, but no, they were all correct.. but I might try flipping them around though just to see what happens haha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Page 9 and 17 of the service notes* from the link posted above look like good places to start. They refer to later OS/CPU versions being incompatible with some earlier ICs as well as detailing a test mode you can run through to see if any issues show up there.

Front panel diagnostic/test modes are always a good place to start if haven't done that yet.

* https://www.synthxl.com/wp-content/u...rvice-Note.pdf
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
Page 9 and 17 of the service notes* from the link posted above look like good places to start. They refer to later OS/CPU versions being incompatible with some earlier ICs as well as detailing a test mode you can run through to see if any issues show up there.

Front panel diagnostic/test modes are always a good place to start if haven't done that yet.

* https://www.synthxl.com/wp-content/u...rvice-Note.pdf
Thank's for that bit of info, I ran the test mode to check the velocity and as expected all keys registered at maximum 127 no matter how hard I pressed them.. I've come across another interesting piece of info however. Apparently I have an older model D-50 (serial number 84xxxx) and a higher firmware version 2.10 and after doing some research I'm finding a lot of sources saying that any D-50 under serial number 86xxxx is incompatible with firmware 2.xx... I found another thread on here regarding this so I posted my question there, maybe that could be causing the velocity issue...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

GOT IT!!! So the problem was on the dyna scan board, there was one bad trace line going from the IC2 chip, pin 1, into the Roland 63H149 chip, pin 71 or 72. So I scratched off a bit of the green varnish and put a bit of solder into the area around IC2 pin 1 and BAM, velocity is working great now. Thanks guys.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Good job, Stemlord.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search