The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Best groovebox (july 2019)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Surprised there's not more mention of the Electribes in this thread. They're like the definitive loop sequencer for their ability to drop in and out of record mode on the fly. The MC-909 can't even do that. (Though I'd avoid the MC-909 anyway for its myriad of other problems.)

Also, another vote for MPC1000. Throw JJOS on it, and there's nothing that sucker can't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny23 View Post
is the rm1x worth considering? if i dont care about internal sounds... curious if its as good of a sampler/playback as the RS7000, ive heard its only good as a sequencer.
The RM1X is an incredible and extremely flexible sequencer, but there is no sampler onboard at all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Some of the older MPC’s won’t let you go in and out of record with out hitting stop/start either.
That must be the 60 and 3000 you speak of because all the others do.Im suprised if the said machines dont.....first ive heard of it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Just get the RS7000 and get over the fact that your friend uses one? He or she could probably be a great help in getting you up and running!
Maybe get a new friend? One that’s more of a Eurorack fan?
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
I don't have an mpc live, but I would worry about having to use a touch screen live. So, I would make sure that you can do everything with the knobs on board. That's just my personal take. Sweaty, hot gigs, and touch screens don't mix imo. I'm guessing you can probably access everything without using the touchscreen with the live. But, I KNOW you can with an mpc1000.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mr Moodymann talks about his MPC ....

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
You want to sample real time and sequence other gear for ~800 bucks?

Skip the 90s gear like the RS7000/RM1x or MC909 which are more made for production at best, and just get a used Octatrack. No question.

There's (IMO) no better realtime looper/sequencer out there than the Octatrack, mostly because it's just the only one that does all of that (the boss RC-505 is kind of a different beast). You can time stretch your stuff/speed it up, run plocks, etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
good looking guys. Ive been thinking about either the MC-909 or the MPC1000 the last few days.

im looking to compare and contrast them, though i might need to make a new thread for that. going to settle on one of them in the next few days
I'm a good looking guy, and I fully endorse the MPC 1000 w/ JJOS2XL
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
That must be the 60 and 3000 you speak of because all the others do.Im suprised if the said machines dont.....first ive heard of it.

So it turns out camus2 is right afterall. I just checked on my 60 with os 3.something and you can jump in and out of overdub during playback.
Not sure how I’ve missed that
Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Emu xl7, Novation Circuit(BTW, this is a really nice effin sequencer)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Beat Thang......
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Novation circuit?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Mr Moodymann talks about his MPC ....

same sample... i used to play this track quite a lot. it always worked in the club. finally a friend of mine heard it and took it over so i hear it in his sets now from time to time

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What other equipment do you plan on using? I'd look at the MPC's, Digitakt, Octatrack, Circuit and Deluge and see which one best fits your workflow and budget. If you can separate the sequencer from the sound source I'd also look at The Toraiz Squid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
hey all an update here; i got the mpc1000 today which im hyped on. has 128mb ram installed already, and JJOS 3.13.

wondering if anyone here that knows about mpc1000 knows what JJOS i should get? (or if im good to go). Im gonna be playing long loops/songs on it should i consider JJOS2XL?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
hey all an update here; i got the mpc1000 today which im hyped on. has 128mb ram installed already, and JJOS 3.13.

wondering if anyone here that knows about mpc1000 knows what JJOS i should get? (or if im good to go). Im gonna be playing long loops/songs on it should i consider JJOS2XL?
Good decision, it's cheap yet more powerful than anything else in that price range on the second hand market. Yes, you should get the paid OS if you can afford it of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
Second the Deluge, really great machine... 3.0 is in beta with a ton of new features (for free!). The killer feature IMO is the quality and rate of free updates.

And not sure if it counts as a groovebox, but I'm finding the Roland MV-8800 to be amazing despite its age.
Yup Deluge! Amazing features and no stupid limits.

No compressor (yet) but the developer is really dedicated and adds more awesome features with every update, so there is a real chance it will be added, since a lot of ppl have asked for a compressor on the software suggestions forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Deluge is the best all-in-one sketchpad/groovebox available right now- no question.
Old 1 week ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I really like the opz the best, but everyone had their favorites and they are all right. It's about what YOU want. I love my digitakt too, it can do things the opz can't and sounds different and visa versa. I had ampc 1000 for ten years and is an amazing box too, you will love it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

good for you !!!
MPC1000 is a great tool, I sometime miss mine.
JJOS2XL is definitely to consider... but I suggest spending some time with the free JJOS3.13 first. Get to know it inside out, it's like a streamlined akai OS, and a big improvment over stock firmware

JJOS2XL might be overwhelming with its many options.

you might also take some time visiting MPC forums for any question/issue a little bit hiphop/rap orientated to my taste but people there know their mpcs
https://www.mpc-forums.com/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mpc Live.fits your requests and you can find it second hand for 800 quite easily.
I use.one and loving it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
I don't have an mpc live, but I would worry about having to use a touch screen live. So, I would make sure that you can do everything with the knobs on board. That's just my personal take. Sweaty, hot gigs, and touch screens don't mix imo. I'm guessing you can probably access everything without using the touchscreen with the live. But, I KNOW you can with an mpc1000.
I don't use touchscreen when I play live with Mpc Live.
You can easily play with pads and buttons and knobs without touching the touchscreen once.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Congrats! Awesome machine. Of all the gear I've bought and sold, my MPC1000 is literally the one that has been around the longest over the years.

As far as which JJOS, start with the one that's already on there. Get to learn it, figure out its feel and all that. 3.16 isn't a bad version. it's the free one, but it includes the grid edit mode that Akai got rid of for some stupid reason. Once you get comfortable with it, then you can try the other JJOS's in demo mode to see which one works best for you. I'm a fan of 2XL, but something to keep in mind is that JJ's documentation is crap, so you'll be finding a lot of the feature through exploration. (hint: The 'window' key shows a lot of hidden information not just depending on the screen you're in, but where the cursor is at.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Congratulations on the MPC! You’ll find it’s a really awesome machine, you won’t regret it.
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
I don't use touchscreen when I play live with Mpc Live.
You can easily play with pads and buttons and knobs without touching the touchscreen once.
Good to know. All the live performance demonstrations show some touchscreen action..
Old 1 week ago
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:

If you want non-destructive chop, that's the biggest reason to get OS2XL. There are a lot of other bells and whistles that the paid OS's give you, but that' the most important one for me. Just load a sample and choose chop, and it throws it all onto your pad banks immediately to play with, without actually physically creating new samples. Great for experimentation, probably useful for a live situation too. The LFO's would probably be useful for live as well..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search