The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Practices for Power
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best Practices for Power

I find myself with maybe one of those good problems to have: I have 6 power outlets in my studio, all of which have surge protectors connected containing at least 10 outlets each. One surge protector is occupied by the studio computer, monitors, computer monitor, hard drives etc, and is thus left on most of the time, leaving 5 other outlets with 10+ outs each from a surge protector. But I am still maxed out, and I wonder...it it dumb to plug in a power strip to a surge protector to add some additional power outlets? How much damage would I be doing powering a few pieces on a power strip powered by a surge protector? Is it even that much of a concern, or would just even thinking about it damage my gear?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It depends on the gear, but generally...no problems. The main concern I'd have would be total power consumption, but most typical studio gear (modernish synths and the like) are not particularly power hungry. Ten 35W synths is no greater concern than a 350W monitor amplifier, and far less than a 900W (or whatever) vacuum cleaner.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

best practice is to have all audio on one main outlet to avoid groundloops afaik,
as long as your amp-age is within limits.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also depends on where you are located (not specified)... Different systems in different countries (eg some places have fused plugs, some don't).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I daisychain power strips all over the room coming off of a couple power conditioners. No problems here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you’re not having any problems, it’s probably fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Get up early, meditate, write lists
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I run a hybrid ITB/OTB setup, so to not hose the computer I first run everything though a power conditioner (probably unnecessary) and then into a server grade UPS.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Glad somebody asked this question, because I have half a dozen or more power-strips running from the same surge protected unit. As indicated above, I figured it was fine as long as I didn't exceed the line limit -- and I chose a line that I know isn't used for anything else.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

As long as the extra current drawn by whatevers plugged into the power board doesn't push the surge protector over it's rated limit then it's fine. But try plugging in something like a sub or a power hungry pc and you might have a problem. Or anything that spikes when turned on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search